PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Weapon?

Wolf Kanno
04-10-2014, 03:53 AM
I always liked how the weapons each changed the characters fighting style in this game, and I was even more impressed when I discovered they largely operate on FFTactics mechanics. So which weapon did you like using for which character?

black orb
04-10-2014, 03:58 AM
>>> Tournesol for everyone..:luca:

Formalhaut
04-13-2014, 02:32 PM
I did like the weapons system in the game, but frankly, some of them were largely useless. Measures, for example. Staves and Rods were of limited use seeing how magic is pretty ineffective in this game compared to physical attacks. Hand bombs are just a poor man's axe/hammer. Daggers are useful in the earlier sections of the game but lose out later on. Don't even mention crossbows.

Effectively, the best weapons were great-swords, spears, katanas and bows, in my opinion. By end-game, you really only used great-swords and katanas.

ScottNUMBERS
04-13-2014, 07:43 PM
I like to keep them using weapons that "suit" them, however beneficial it would be to give the all the same type of weapon at times I never waver. Gun for Baltheir, Bow/Staff for Fran, Sword/Staff for Ashe, Sword/Dagger for Vaan, Dagger/Katana for Penelo, Sword/Axe for Bashe. I gave Bashe a measure once though; he is 5"9. Sorry that's my FFXII joke that I do sometimes.

Colonel Angus
04-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Balthier- Pole or Gun
Fran- Bow/Crossbow, Ninja Sword or Pole
Vaan- Sword or Gun
Bashe- Sword/Great Sword or Axe/Hammer
Ashe- Staff/Rod, Katana or Crossbow
Penelo- Bow, Knife or Staff/Rod

Formalhaut
04-13-2014, 09:54 PM
I admit I also enforced a weapon restriction to my characters on one of my 'challenge' play-throughs of the game.

Vaan - Swords, Daggers, Maces
Balthier - Guns, Ninja Swords
Fran - Bows, Crossbows, Ninja Swords, Poles, Maces
Bashe - Greatswords, Swords, Axes & Hammers
Ashe - Swords, Katanas, Crossbows, Staffs & Rods
Penelo - Daggers, Staffs & Rods, Measures, Maces

It made you employ strategy as to which character to use. Making Bashe the only character capable of using greatswords made him very powers, but had little magickal ability (not that magick is very effective offensively). Meanwhile, Penelo is very effective magickally, but her primary physical potential is with the dagger, which isn't the most powerful weapon type. It was quite a nice challenge from what I remember of it.

Karifean
04-14-2014, 12:25 AM
I expected your favorite weapon to be the Formalhaut, honestly :P

Formalhaut
04-14-2014, 12:51 AM
I expected your favorite weapon to be the Formalhaut, honestly :P

Oh, my favourite individual weapon is the Fomalhaut. Hands down. Guns as a type are also pretty good especially in the middle game (getting a Fomalhaut early practically carries you through most of the game). They do lose out though towards the end of the game.