PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Megathread: Everyone Get In It's Time to Boldly Go

Pike
04-11-2014, 12:12 PM
This thread is for the discussion of anything and everything Star Trek.

Welcome here with open arms:

The Original Series
The Animated Series
The Next Generation
Deep Space Nine
Most of the movies (including those of the reboot)

Reluctantly welcome here:

Voyager
Enterprise
Star Treks V, Insurrection, Nemesis

News:
:chocobo: 49 more years until Zefram Cochrane invents warp and the Vulcans land in Pike's yard! :chocobo:

Starter Topic:
When was the last time you watched Trek and why are you not watching Trek right now?

Huxley and I are almost done with TNG. Next stop TNG movies and then DS9.

Jinx
04-11-2014, 02:10 PM
About a year, and I don't know why. :(

Ayen
04-11-2014, 05:17 PM
The last Star Trek related thing I watched was May of last year, Star Trek Into Darkness, which I thought was a great film. The movies have done a good job of bringing the characters from TOS back to life and that was always the appeal of Star Trek. The characters.

I'm not watching any right now 'cause I don't feel like it. I switch between moods of what I want to watch quite often. Right now it's all GoT until the next thing comes along and grabs my attention. I still want to get the third season of TOS, though. Then my TOS collection will be complete and I can start tracking down TNG seasons. But I still need to get my hands on the sixth TOS film.

I don't get why Nemesis gets as much hate as it does. To put it in the same boat as Insurrection is an insult I wouldn't even grant to Star Trek V. The beginning scenes were crap, yes, and the ending was a rip off of Wrath of Khan without any of the same impact, but the rest, minus one scene I'm not going to mention, was just fine. The villain actually felt like a character instead of a person standing around doing nothing until the climax and they didn't try to squeeze screen time in for the entire cast like they did with the other films. It was also the first time that Data was starting to understand what it meant to be human (and I'll gladly forget the chip exists since they never mention it) which is something TNG fans have been waiting for since the beginning of his smurfing development.

Crop
04-11-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't think I'm ever NOT watching some sort of Star Trek.

Pike
04-11-2014, 05:45 PM
:blahblah:*

In all fairness I haven't seen it since... I don't even know, whenever it was in the theater I think. I just remember really disliking it. I'll be watching it again soon and then I'll report back with updated thoughts.

* smiley not meant as an insult. I just wanted an excuse to use it. :shobon:

Ayen
04-11-2014, 05:53 PM
:blahblah:*

* smiley not meant as an insult. I just wanted an excuse to use it. :shobon:

I honestly thought ":talk:" was funnier :p

I wish Enterprise wasn't prematurely cancelled. It was really starting to get interesting into its fourth season but by that time the verdict was already out on it. The past three series prior needed a couple of seasons before they got good, Enterprise was finally starting to see that same shift but they cancelled it and gave us the worst send-off imaginable and now so many questions will remain unanswered. I also thought the way they incorporated the Borg into an episode using the plot from First Contact was brilliant.

Who here has played Star Trek Online? This thread has got me wanting to pick it back up again.

Slothy
04-11-2014, 06:04 PM
I've played more of Star Trek Online than I care to admit Tori. I hate MMO's, and I'm not a big fan of the gameplay in it either, but I get to fly a Galaxy class starship and be exposed to copious amounts of fan service so apparently that's enough to get me to betray every gaming principle I live by.

Anyway, I agree with Tori that Nemesis isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is. It's not great, but it's definitely not on the same level as Star Trek V or Insurrection. It at least had a reasonable concept that suffered a bit in the execution. The other two were just plain terrible ideas.

Shauna
04-11-2014, 06:08 PM
I like Voyager.

Deal wit it.

Slothy
04-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Anyone who watches Voyager again should turn it into a drinking game. Every time they mention trying to solve a problem with the deflector dish, a warp field, or modulating the phasers you take a shot.

Warning: watching more than two episodes back to back while playing this game will result in death.

Ayen
04-11-2014, 06:12 PM
I've played more of Star Trek Online than I care to admit Tori. I hate MMO's, and I'm not a big fan of the gameplay in it either, but I get to fly a Galaxy class starship and be exposed to copious amounts of fan service so apparently that's enough to get me to betray every gaming principle I live by.

Right there with ya, bud. Each mission big or small felt like my very own episode and I loved every minute of it.

I like Voyager.

Deal wit it.

I liked Voyager too. It was my introduction into Star Trek and has some of my favorite characters in it: The Doctor, Kes, Janeway.

Janeway's last line to the Borg Queen was awesome.

edczxcvbnm
04-11-2014, 06:26 PM
I randomly thrown on an episode of TNG while doing other stuff. I keep meaning to watch Deep Space 9 as it seems different and interesting.

I tried watching voyager but I could not stand Janeway. I wanted to shoot myself.

Shauna
04-11-2014, 06:32 PM
I like Voyager.

Deal wit it.

Oh. I forgot the most important part of this announcement.

I like Voyager better than DS9.

DOUBLE DEAL WIT IT.

Madame Adequate
04-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Pike what do you think of the fact that soon we will be watching the TNG movies, including ones that are not First Contact, and then after DS9 we will watch Voyager?

e; Shauna, what... what do they put in the water up in Scotland? I'm genuinely concerned for you.

Shauna
04-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Scottish water is much better than that limey stuff you get down south. :shobon:

I have seen significantly less DS9 compared to Voyager, that probably has a lot to do with it. I will rectify this situation by watching all the Star Treks and coming to a fully formed opinion. Eventually.

Ayen
04-11-2014, 07:22 PM
I never got into Deep Space Nine myself. That was a show my mom watched religiously so I have seen some of it, but nothing ever grabbed at me like the other series did.

Slothy
04-11-2014, 07:28 PM
You know how most opinions are subjective and it's okay to like certain things more than others even if other people disagree with you?

Liking Voyager more than DS9 is not one of those times.

Jessweeee♪
04-11-2014, 07:36 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/911e70b9598ee11dc5c8e9a3bc7986a4/tumblr_n0yg44SWrx1qhry21o1_400.gif

Pike
04-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Star Trek Generations had issues and yet it also had so, so many good moments. I think they actually redeem that movie.

dWBmaKk32fE

Ayen
04-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Generations main problem is that it builds, and builds, and builds on Picard meeting Captain Kirk for the first and only time having them both on screen together and when you finally get to that scene it's like...

Kay.

And I would have liked to see more serious development from Data with the emotion chip instead of just making him the comic relief as always. Although, those two scenes above are legitimately funny.

Tavrobel
04-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Reluctantly welcome here:

Enterprise

... but, but, but there wasn't anything particularly wrong with Enterprise until the last episode.

Pike
04-12-2014, 08:20 AM
I didn't like it. It didn't feel Trek-ish to me. But to be fair I haven't watched it since it came out and I quit watching it early on because I didn't like it.

Tavrobel
04-13-2014, 11:03 PM
I didn't think it felt Trekkish at first, but I chalked that up to being a part of its charm. It's a show set in the Trek universe before they could use all of the "cheat-sheet" technologies and it felt scrappier than all of the others. However, I can see why a lot of people didn't like it. Knowing what the future hold sorts of sucks away a lot of potential drama for people.

In addition, where as the other shows has stronger over-arching plotlines, Enterprise had a very wonky one in all of the time travel they did. Previous captains collectively shuddered and did whatever they could to end time-travel episodes as soon as possible (or it was all Q's fault). Archer got stuck with having one for what felt like every episode a season, for all seasons.

Ayen
04-13-2014, 11:56 PM
EVERY TIME I TRY TO POST IN THIS THREAD THE SITE SPAZZES IT BETTER LET ME POST THIS TIME!

Enterprise was largely forgettable for the first season. The first worthy thing of note is Xindi's attack on Earth leading to the Enterprise crew going after them. Then it kind of staggers again until the fourth season where the episodes were progressively getting better and better. Borderland, Cold Station 12, The Augments, The Forge, Awakening, In a Mirror, Darkly Part 1 and 2 were all simply fantastic.

Bones
04-14-2014, 01:12 AM
There is no argument and there is no denying the Original Series was by far the best Star Trek to ever see the light of day.

Ayen
04-14-2014, 01:31 AM
There is no argument and there is no denying the Original Series was by far the best Star Trek to ever see the light of day.

Agreed. TOS has more classic episodes than you can shake a stick at and many of them will stick out to you at the title.

Loony BoB
04-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Danielle and I finished the full TNG series a few months ago (at a guess) and are just starting the third season of DS9. I'm pretty excited because Dominion. :excited:

blackmage_nuke
04-14-2014, 03:02 PM
I like the new movies and know nothing about old series aside from what I picked up from the Simpsons and Futurama.
Infact I just came here to say I really like the movie Galaxy Quest.

Pumpkin
04-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Haven't watched it in a little while. Sharky wants to watch more but we are almost done with TNG and then he wants to watch DS9, but I am refusing because Data.

DATA

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

But we have been playing the trivia game. I have a success rate of 37% :smug:

sharkythesharkdogg
04-14-2014, 03:39 PM
I have a beastly success rate of..........53%.

:love:
:jess:
:p
:|
:eep:
:mad:
:whimper:
:crying:

My nerdly ego has been devastated.

Madame Adequate
04-14-2014, 05:00 PM
The thing that makes DS9 so great is that it actually has an overarching long-term story. I mean, it's no Babylon 5 (everyone watch Bab 5 it makes Trek look awful and Trek is not awful) but it is a great show in part because of that.

Of course, Voyager has an overarching long-term story and is pretty poor so...

Slothy
04-14-2014, 05:43 PM
The thing that makes DS9 so great is that it actually has an overarching long-term story. I mean, it's no Babylon 5 (everyone watch Bab 5 it makes Trek look awful and Trek is not awful) but it is a great show in part because of that.

Of course, Voyager has an overarching long-term story and is pretty poor so...

Well when your overarching story is, "what say we fly home?" it's a bit difficult to make it good. Especially when the entire premise involves doing away with recurring enemies and cool alien races. Which is probably why they tried to shoe horn the Borg in so often.

Too bad that just made the Borg look like wimps when you have Voyager regularly encountering them and not being assimilated despite this being the race that destroyed a fleet, assimilated Picard, and traveled back in time to assimilate Earth, with the crew of the Enterprise only succeeding in beating them by the skin of their teeth each time.

And they also undercut the potential Voyager had by having them get into some battle with aliens every week only to be fully repaired the next. Paying lip service to the lack of resources and support, and their small number of crewmen here and there but never really having it matter. Focusing almost entirely on the main cast when they had a great platform to have recurring junior officers doing some interesting things, or even killing main cast members and having former recurring characters need to step up and grow. My point being, they had an interesting premise, but then basically ignored the potential it had in favour of using it to just introduce new alien races with a slightly different nose or forehead every week.

Anyway, going to have to disagree with TOS being the best personally. Don't get me wrong; it's great, has some great characters, and did some things that were utterly amazing, especially for the time. But TNG was better overall. In fact, the first two seasons of TNG are the worst seasons for that show, and they were the most like TOS. Read into that what you will.

Ayen
04-14-2014, 06:01 PM
In fact, the first two seasons of TNG are the worst seasons for that show, and they were the most like TOS. Read into that what you will.

This hurts my brain. TOS had a lot of timeless classics that are still good today provided you can look past the sixties special effects. The first two seasons of TNG had a couple of good episodes, two of which were about Data and one had the introduction of the Borg while the rest weren't very memorable.

Slothy
04-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Yeah, but TNG got astronomically better after those first two seasons, and they had a lot of episodes that I'd consider above most TOS episodes in terms of themes and subject matter.

Tavrobel
04-14-2014, 06:11 PM
stuff about voyager

It was doomed from the start, because the goal was unrealistic. 70 years to fly home at full speed, no stops? This is a TV show, right?

If you thought the Borg were mishandled, try the Kazon being the recurring enemy. It failed rather miserably, and they were like little children pouting. They didn't feel like a threat, and if Voyager hadn't flown through heavily defended territory, they would have been fine and avoided every Kazon encounter, including Basics, where they actually managed to get the ship.

Voyager got much better starting sometime in season 4, but we also got a lot more magical devices that would accidentally push Voyager home an extra 10 years every so often starting then. If you weren't assuming magic was going to get them home, the first three seasons of Voyager were great for you. The rest of us were not.

Yeah, but TNG got astronomically better after those first two seasons, and they had a lot of episodes that I'd consider above most TOS episodes in terms of themes and subject matter.

That first season was trash.

Ayen
04-14-2014, 06:18 PM
If you want to get straight down to it they could have avoided being stranded in the first place if Janeway followed the Prime Directive.

Madame Adequate
04-14-2014, 10:17 PM
A whole lot of things would have been a whole lot better if Janeway had never risen above Ensign, which would still be a pretty generous rank for someone that incompetent and terrible.

Ayen
04-14-2014, 10:20 PM
A whole lot of things would have been a whole lot better if Janeway had never risen above Ensign, which would still be a pretty generous rank for someone that incompetent and terrible.

She's gonna have a lot to answer for when she gets back to--

"Admiral Janeway"

THIS IS WHY WE ALMOST LOSS THE WAR TO THE DOMINION!

Pike
04-14-2014, 10:23 PM
TNG was best in the middle; seasons 3-6ish. 7 is an... interesting watch so far; I really get the feeling they were running out of ideas at this point. :screwy:

I will never be able to say anything bad about TOS because I grew up on TOS and the TOS films and, as I am often fond of saying, I feel that they sort of raised me, in a way. The crew of the Enterprise will always feel like family to me.

Tavrobel
04-14-2014, 10:42 PM
If you want to get straight down to it they could have avoided being stranded in the first place if Janeway followed the Prime Directive.

Except for the part where she's able to de-balls the Borg in multiple timelines. Even though she got herself and her crew into so much trouble and has regularly shown disdain for the Prime Directive(s), she's handled her situation pretty well. Really, after introducing the Borg, we were bound to figure out how to match them in more cases than just telling them all to sleep.

... but if you guys want some really bad episodes, try watching Threshold. There is some absolutely terrible stuff in Voyager. I do mean terrible.

Slothy
04-14-2014, 11:20 PM
I'd rather never be reminded of Threshold again. Even though I've seen it maybe twice, and will none the less vividly recall it until I either die, or do enough cocaine to make me forget everything ever.

Ayen
04-14-2014, 11:33 PM
I don't remember Threshold at all.

Vivi despises and envies me now.

Tavrobel
04-14-2014, 11:47 PM
I don't remember Threshold at all.

Vivi despises and envies me now.

RIGHT SO THERE'S THIS EPISODE WHERE THEY REACH WARP TEN LOL
THE CHARACTER INTERACTION WAS GREAT AND POSED SOME SERIOUS PHILOSOPHICAL QUESTIONS LOL
WE SOLVE THE ISSUE OF PROCREATION MULTIGENERATION OCCUPATION LOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It's that episode (third season?) where they find better dilithium which allows their warp drive to get past warp 9.97. They test it, and they reach warp ten, infinite velocity, by figuring out that the ship's nacelles are travelling faster than the ship carriage. Paris manages to undergo hyperspeed evolution as a result of the solo flight, turns into a lizard Pokemon, and kidnaps the captain (after dying) and they both procreate.

The episode ends with Tuvok shooting both of them in the face in some random swamp, and offscreen, the doctor reverses the process with an autism-destroying vaccine.

To begin to start explaining how many things went wrong here...

Ayen
04-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Now I remember.

That episode was hilarious.

Pike
04-20-2014, 10:23 AM
You know as much as I love Picard he really is such a stick in the mud when it comes to the Prime Directive.

Spooniest
04-20-2014, 10:47 AM
"It's kind of like Star Trek: The Next Generation. While a good show in its own right, it will never be as recognized as the original."

~ Wayne Campbell

Your honors, I rest my case.

Araciel
04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
You know as much as I love Picard he really is such a stick in the mud when it comes to the Prime Directive.

What, that little rule that they came up with so that civilizations can meet their destiny the way they should, with no interference from other worlds, y'know, that was named PRIME Directive?! :P

I think it's one of his best qualities because you know when he breaks the rules it's for a very very good reason.

Pike
04-22-2014, 08:00 PM
yeah but when they're willing to let an entire unique civilization die because of the prime directive that's when it gets really dumb.

Araciel
04-22-2014, 08:37 PM
That's when it becomes a philosophical debate which is what makes it so good.

Slothy
04-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Getting into a philosophical debate over whether or not to interfere and save pre-warp civilizations is still better than doing 90% of the shit Kirk did. The man once armed a pre-warp culture because the Klingons were arming their enemies (for reasons I don't remember but which almost certainly made zero sense). I mean, it made for an interesting metaphor that's still pretty relevant and was certainly relevant at the time. But could they at least have pretended that there were rules Kirk was supposed to follow?

And unless I'm just drawing a complete and utter blank, I can't think of any times off the top of my head where Picard was outright prepared to let a pre-warp civilization die because of the prime directive. There was once that he got pissed at Data for talking to a kid whose planet was dying when it was plainly a bad idea, but that's a different matter entirely.

But if we're being perfectly honest, having the Prime Directive was the smartest thing they added with TNG. Rules regarding non-interference with other countries and cultures are something we could use more of in the world. Not less.

Pike
04-22-2014, 09:25 PM
And unless I'm just drawing a complete and utter blank, I can't think of any times off the top of my head where Picard was outright prepared to let a pre-warp civilization die because of the prime directive.

Homeward (episode) - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Homeward_(episode))

Their planet was dying and Picard was all "sorry but tough luck"

Edit: Kirk had the misfortune of being at the hands of Roddenberry all the time which meant that everything he did was MANIFEST DESTINY IN SPACE. When he wasn't doing that he was a much better captain than he gets credit for.

Madame Adequate
04-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Yeah Picard's done this like three or four times, from outright letting a civilization die to "merely" letting it go through incredibly tumultuous and dangerous times that might mark the end of it or might not, but it won't be pretty either way.

The Prime Directive is a pretty great idea and an important principle, and I do really like that Picard adheres to it so scrupulously even when I personally think it's stupid because it makes the future seem really different and weird. It's also definitely something that should have some clauses about "If an entire biosphere is about to die then the Prime Directive is void holy Kahless save those people."

Pike
04-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Yeah, to clarify I'm not saying "The Prime Directive is stupid!" I think it's a good principle. But I'm saying "Uhh guys people are actually dying here sometimes"

Araciel
04-22-2014, 09:51 PM
But that's the question.. I hate to, but just like in Into Darkness - Kirk doesn't give a damn about it when a whole budding civilization is threatened, and even though he's baby Kirk from alternate timeline he'd still have done it in TOS without batting an eye.

It's something you have to interpret for yourself - Most people would say break it for the good of the people but as people we don't know what is good for the galaxy or beyond.. eh who knows

Pike
04-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Okay guys I'm gonna open up a new question:

Is Into Darkness really that bad?

I don't think it is. One of Trek's finest moments? No. Better than, say, Treks I and V? Yes. Yes by a longshot.

Ayen
04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
I didn't think Into Darkness was bad, and the only people I see saying it was tend to be hardcore fans who hate anything to do with the reboot or people being nitpicky. I thought it was great and a real step up from the first movie.

That said, saying it's better than Star Trek I and V really isn't saying much.

Madame Adequate
04-28-2014, 06:56 PM
It's something you have to interpret for yourself - Most people would say break it for the good of the people but as people we don't know what is good for the galaxy or beyond.. eh who knows

Yeah but being able to help and choosing not to because of some nebulous possibility that it will turn out badly in the long run is just as presumptive as sticking your oar in everywhere regardless of whether it's needed. Like at that stage you get into such abstract thinking that there's no point to doing anything. Maybe in five thousand years helping Primitive Race X will have turned out to be a terrible idea, but that's for people in 7350 to worry about.

Oh, and I don't think Into Darkness is Trek's finest hour, but it's still a movie I enjoyed a whole lot.

Aulayna
04-28-2014, 07:45 PM
I don't have much to add to this thread other than this:

http://a.gifb.in/3g601665550.gif

Araciel
04-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Yeah but being able to help and choosing not to because of some nebulous possibility that it will turn out badly in the long run is just as presumptive as sticking your oar in everywhere regardless of whether it's needed. Like at that stage you get into such abstract thinking that there's no point to doing anything. Maybe in five thousand years helping Primitive Race X will have turned out to be a terrible idea, but that's for people in 7350 to worry about.

Very fair. As to your previous point yeah it makes people of the future seem pretty detached, but as a kid I also thought TNG made me feel like the future was a world without toilets or (much) blood or sweat etc. - definitely a big impact on me :p

I thoroughly enjoyed Into Darkness except OG Spock and the KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN yell.

Though I knew the latter had to happen

Pike
04-29-2014, 04:55 PM

Personally I think it's better than Nemesis and Insurrection as well - but then it has been years (at least a decade in fact) since I have seen either of those so I'll come back with my final report after I rewatch those in the next couple of weeks.

Ayen
04-29-2014, 05:09 PM

Personally I think it's better than Nemesis and Insurrection as well - but then it has been years (at least a decade in fact) since I have seen either of those so I'll come back with my final report after I rewatch those in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, but it generally doesn't take much to be better than films that flopped. Which is my point. Unless you're arguing this because people have been saying Into Darkness is worst than those films. They need a good firm smack across the head if that's the case.

You're a Data fan, aren't you? Don't watch Nemesis.

Pike
04-29-2014, 05:13 PM
I've seen Nemesis. I know what happens. (And isn't everyone a Data fan?)

And yes I'm talking about the people who say it's the worst Trek film ever when it's not. I'd put it about in the middle of the pack.

Pumpkin
04-29-2014, 05:15 PM
So if I wanted to watch a Star Trek movie, which should I watch? I am also a huge Data fan and I am not a fan of Troi or Riker.

Ayen
04-29-2014, 05:21 PM
I've seen Nemesis. I know what happens. (And isn't everyone a Data fan?)

Some say it's worse the second time around :| Watching Data die, not the movie itself. Though some might say that for the movie, too.

Nah, I jest. I've been wanting to use that line forever.

And yes I'm talking about the people who say it's the worst Trek film ever when it's not. I'd put it about in the middle of the pack.

I'd love to hear their reasoning for this, but depending where you read it it's probably just knee-jerk reactions more than anything else.

Pike
04-29-2014, 05:26 PM
So if I wanted to watch a Star Trek movie, which should I watch? I am also a huge Data fan and I am not a fan of Troi or Riker.

Do you want to watch a TOS movie or a TNG movie?

If you want a fun TOS movie watch Star Trek IV (although II is, of course, a classic). For TNG, First Contact is the only real choice.

Pumpkin
04-29-2014, 05:28 PM
I could go either way. I'll look up both and see, thank you :jess:

Pike
05-04-2014, 10:10 AM
So last night Huxley and I watched the series finale of TNG. It gave us some serious feels. :crying:

Madame Adequate
05-04-2014, 05:47 PM
It was not okay :whimper: Why did TNG have to end?

Tavrobel
05-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Because they were clearly running out of ideas.

Madame Adequate
05-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Well yeah obviously, Season 7 was mostly absurd. It doesn't mean I'm not going to lament the show's passing!

Pike
05-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Yeah, season seven was kind of... :eyebrow: But then they threw a couple of gems in there like that Ensign Ro episode and of course the finale. I mean, I guess it's like how Bill Watterson stopped Calvin & Hobbes early, and I think that TNG did the same.

I still wish there was more :crying2:

Oh well, we've got the movies coming soon at least. Coming up first: Star Trek: Generations.

^ what did you guys think of this flick? My opinions incoming in a couple of days after I've watched it. (I've seen it before but it's been a million years so I need to refresh my memory.)

Pike
05-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Well since no one else replied :colbert:

I watched this the other day for the first time in a while. Although it certainly had its moments (mostly involving Data and the emotion chip), it definitely was not Trek's finest hour. As one site I saw put it: Kirk died in a lame way to a lame villain.

Next up is First Contact, at least! 54099

Shauna
05-07-2014, 08:38 PM
I watched the Star Trek movies with Picard in them quite a bit when I was a kid. My parents enjoyed TNG. I have not watched them in a long time though. Should rectify that eventually

TNG S1-5 are available on Netflix these days... I would rather start with TOS though. Because I need to watch things in order, of course.

Pike
05-07-2014, 08:39 PM
I watched the Star Trek movies with Picard in them quite a bit when I was a kid. My parents enjoyed TNG. I have not watched them in a long time though. Should rectify that eventually

TNG S1-5 are available on Netflix these days... I would rather start with TOS though. Because I need to watch things in order, of course.

Every Star Trek episode ever, from every series, is on American Netflix! Do what Mister Adequate does and install Hola. (You did not hear that from me. :greenie: )

Ayen
05-07-2014, 09:32 PM
what did you guys think of this flick?

If they could have turned the first ten minutes into a movie they would have had something beautiful.

The villain is forgettable, all the buildup to Picard and Kirk finally meeting isn't worth it (why the hell are they on a farm?) and Data was mostly just the comic relief except for one scene. Granted, he's always the comic relief so I shouldn't be surprised. But I would have liked to see some serious development with the chip. Him looking at Geordi and understanding what it means to have a friend for the first time. Coming across a picture of Tasha Yar and mourning her death. It would have built up to the scene where he breaks down in front of Picard a lot more. That said, I don't like the chip in the first place because he's supposed to be evolving beyond his original programming to become more human. You aren't evolving, you're just adding more programming to yourself. But if you're going to do it, do it right!

The ending was trout, too. Agreed.

Pike
05-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Re-watched First Contact. Great stuff. Bozeman does not look anything like Bozeman, of course.

Pike
05-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Wow Insurrection is such a snoozefest. It's just an overly long TNG episode - and not even a good TNG episode.

Nemesis was slightly better but I dunno. :gator: I think I actually preferred Generations. At least it was funnier.

Tavrobel
05-11-2014, 07:04 PM
It's the curse of Star Trek movies. They're either good if they're an even number, or terrible if it's an odd number. Does not apply to the remakes, I feel.

Pike
05-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Well Nemesis was an even number and I still didn't like it. :tongue:

Ayen
05-11-2014, 07:24 PM
My thoughts on First Contact.

Starfleet: We're going to have you on the sidelines even though you have the most advanced ship in the fleet and the only crew with any prior experience facing The Borg.
Picard: o.o

Picard: There may be no stopping The Borg this time. Now do this, this, and this and you'd have destroyed the Borg cube in no time flat.
Other Ships: AYE!

Borg Queen: I'm here to ruin everything you knew about The Borg.

Zefram Cochrane: I'm drunk!
Troi: This plot twist would have made a good episode, actually.
Zefram Cochrane: *passes out*

MOAR BORG! Pew! Pew!

Spooniest
05-11-2014, 07:36 PM
I recently re-watched The Corbomite Maneuver. When the dude interrupts Kirk to say "YOU NOW HAVE SEVEN MINUTES" and Kirk just keeps on going, it's a cool moment.

Madame Adequate
05-11-2014, 07:41 PM
I actually somewhat enjoyed Nemesis in the watching of it, but damn if it wasn't filled with dumb shit from top to bottom.

Pumpkin
05-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Riker stands weird. Like he's trying too hard to be masculine. His legs are super far apart and he puffs his chest out and he sticks his chin up and out.

It's like, we get it. You're a man

/totally not on subject

Ayen
05-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Can we... Can we just talk about how awesome The Doctor and Kes relationship in Voyager was? It's like... the only interesting thing about the earlier seasons.

Tavrobel
05-11-2014, 08:19 PM
The character relationships were always more interesting when the Doctor was involved. Loved the Doctor-Paris banter. Hilarious.

But then they evicted Kes instead of trying to keep her and bringing on Jeri Ryan. That friendship would have had promise. And after that, they tried to push a holographic civil rights agenda in season 7. Real.

Ayen
05-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Don't remind me.

Tavrobel
05-11-2014, 11:00 PM
This is your fault. You keep asking about Voyager.

Ayen
05-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Only the good parts!

Pike
05-11-2014, 11:16 PM
The Doctor is easily the best part of Voyager. I don't even think it's a contest.

Tavrobel
05-11-2014, 11:45 PM
I was trying to think of a comedy episode that didn't focus on the Doctor or Paris. Neelix, Tuvok, and Harry Kim had their own moments every so often.

False Profits might have been the only one where the Doctor didn't do anything at all. Live Fast and Prosper was mostly Tuvok, but the subplot of the episode is Paris/Neelix trying to pull a fast one on the Doctor. Prophecy is an episode about a group of Klingons who show up on Voyager thinking Tom's daughter is Klingon Jesus. Drive also had its moments as a racing episode.

All of the Fair Haven episodes were kinda funny, but it's because they were set in "Ireland." Everything else was mostly the Doctor: Bride of Chaotica, Message in a Bottle, Author Author (parts of it), Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy. I don't think we're counting unintentionally hilarious episodes.

starlet
05-12-2014, 01:09 AM
Im watching TNG right now, but you guys talking about the doctor makes me want to watch voyager again. Because Doctor.

Pike
05-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Best to keep watching TNG :thumbsup: what season/episode are you on?

Pumpkin
05-29-2014, 09:37 PM
sharky owns all of these books

Are any of them any good?

Pike
05-30-2014, 01:23 AM
Honestly I haven't read any of those! I plan to read some Star Trek books soon-ish, once I finish a couple of the books on my current backlog.

So Hux and I have started watching Deep Space Nine! DS9 DISCUSSION ITT

Who is everyone's favorite character?

Spooniest
05-30-2014, 05:05 AM
Odo and Quark, b/c the interactions between them are always classic.

Odo
The man is a gambler and a thief.

Quark
I'm not a thief.

Odo
YOU are a THIEF!

Quark
If I am, you haven't been able to prove it for nine years.

Pike
05-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Odo
The man is a gambler and a thief.

Quark
I'm not a thief.

Odo
YOU are a THIEF!

Quark
If I am, you haven't been able to prove it for nine years.

Accurate summary of the entire series.

Del Murder
05-31-2014, 06:17 PM
I was never really a big fan of Star Trek. I saw a couple of the movies but that was about it. Then the reboot came out and I really liked it (both movies). I tried to watch TOS but it was too campy for me so I moved on to TNG and have been watching it for the last few months. I'm currently in season 5 and just watched Reunification, which has easily become one of my favorite episodes since I like Spock. My other favorite episodes are ones that deal a lot with Data's humanity: The Measure of a Man and The Offspring. Also anything involving Q or the Borg is quality.

After I finish this I may want to try DS9, but will I be disappointed? I heard it's not as good as TNG. It will be hard to imagine Star Trek without Picard or Data. They are both excellent characters. I would watch a series with just them.

Pike
05-31-2014, 07:14 PM
DS9 is really a completely different flavor of Star Trek. It's a bit darker and focuses more on continuing storylines rather than a sort of alien-of-the-week format. A lot of people have said that it takes a couple of seasons to really get into it.

Tavrobel
05-31-2014, 08:50 PM
After I finish this I may want to try DS9, but will I be disappointed? I heard it's not as good as TNG.

TNG has nothing but self-contained episodes and the few that are related will usually involve Q. If someone watched an episode out of order, they would hardly notice without paying attention to stardates (or animation quality). You'd miss some characterization, maybe.

DS9 has an overarching plot. Episodes build on top of the previous one, so it's more difficult to watch one at a time and out of order, like a war story that's being told at a fixed rate. Picard and Data are missing, but you never know if you'll like any other characters unless you watch it.

Sephex
06-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Ever think of the Kirk hole?

Raistlin
06-01-2014, 07:14 AM
I was never really a big fan of Star Trek. I saw a couple of the movies but that was about it. Then the reboot came out and I really liked it (both movies). I tried to watch TOS but it was too campy for me so I moved on to TNG and have been watching it for the last few months. I'm currently in season 5 and just watched Reunification, which has easily become one of my favorite episodes since I like Spock. My other favorite episodes are ones that deal a lot with Data's humanity: The Measure of a Man and The Offspring. Also anything involving Q or the Borg is quality.

After I finish this I may want to try DS9, but will I be disappointed? I heard it's not as good as TNG. It will be hard to imagine Star Trek without Picard or Data. They are both excellent characters. I would watch a series with just them.

DS9 is different, as others have already highlighted. I personally enjoy TNG more, but DS9 is absolutely worth watching for any Star Trek fan. Pike is correct that it takes a couple of seasons to hit its stride, in part because Captain Sisko's actor's ability and presence dramatically improves after that point (and I swear it's right around the time he grows his goatee). The plot is more political and overarching -- and, dare I say, more mature than TNG. DS9's biggest weakness is the lack of truly stand-out characters who are able to single-handedly carry an episode the way Picard and Data can.

Ayen
06-01-2014, 11:07 AM
My mother used to watch DS9 religiously when it was on. I saw bits and pieces of it, but never sat down to watch an episode in full until recently. I think their tribble episode came as a special feature in Star Trek TOS Season 2.

Pike
06-14-2014, 01:24 AM
On season two of Deep Space Nine now! :jess: The episode "Duet" at the end of the last season gave me some serious feels.

P.S. this is great http://www.pixeltrek.com/play

Spooniest
06-14-2014, 02:09 AM
ClP8n6asn3w

WARNING: NSFW.

Come on, baby, cuz fornication's the only way to make the next generation

Ayen
06-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Star Trek VI is playing on my TV right now :omgomg:

And now they're showing Star Trek Nemesis.

Jinx
08-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Currently watching TOS! I love it! :D I didn't think I'd like it (mostly due to age) but it's great.

Nate
08-21-2014, 09:19 PM
I was a TNG fan, and of some of the TOS episodes. I didn't care much for DS9 or Voyager. "City on the Edge of Forever" was probably the height of TOS. TNG had quite a few good ones, like the Borg ones, or "The Inner Light" which was well done.

If you're going to watch TNG, the first 3 seasons struggled a little to get consistently good. It felt like they were trying to figure out what worked and what didn't, with some of the Gene Roddenberry obsession with space babes and sex in there.

I'm really not happy with most of the movies. TNG ones I mean. Picard went from a logical diplomat into a thrill-seeking rebel from the TV to the movies. It didn't make a lot of sense.

Spooniest
08-22-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm really not happy with most of the movies. TNG ones I mean. Picard went from a logical diplomat into a thrill-seeking rebel from the TV to the movies. It didn't make a lot of sense.

Hollywood isn't very subtle. I notice that there are a lot more explosions (and bigger explosions) in the TNG movies than in the show by and large.

TOS is excellent and I consider it bad form to say anything negative about it.

Freya
08-22-2014, 04:52 PM
I need to rewatch them all. I haven't seen most of them since I was a child and I have a rose tinted view. My mom is kinda a trekkie..... okay more than kinda. She's been so since TOS so I grew up with it.

I enjoy the new new movies? :D Zachary Quinto plays a great spock.