PDA

View Full Version : Rollercoaster Tycoon

Dat Matt
04-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Rollercoster Tycoon is a guilty, nostalgia ridden blast from my past that I download once every few years. It is stupidly addicting and I usually end up doing a full scenario in one sitting. I recently heard that there was a 4th iteration of the game for mobiles. Youtube video shows this new model.

UtqBv0Yu9NE

I'm pretty shocked to see where the game has gone since it's routes. Good Old Games is currently selling the series at 60% off which I've picked up.

Anyone else have fond memories of this game?

blackmage_nuke
04-11-2014, 08:41 PM
I honestly wouldve been very tempted to drop $10-20 on this app if it wasnt filled with micropayments and build timers and was just RCT 1 and 2 with updated graphics (not that 1 and 2 needed them)

I finished every scenario in RCT1 and over half the ones in RCT2 (Mostly the ones that required ride fees and not entrance fees)

I could never get into RCT3

Dat Matt
04-11-2014, 09:33 PM
I've only every played 1, I fear if I play 2/3 that my nostalgia goggles for the series will be broken.

I've heard that3 wasn't amazing. 4 looks atrocious.

blackmage_nuke
04-11-2014, 10:17 PM
2 is pretty much exactly the same as 1 (graphics wise and all) with different maps and no super power boosted coasters. There are still powered coasters but only half starting power is availabe which means you cant just dump 5 cheap tiny OP coasters in your park and come out rolling in cash which was something I didnt like at first but I learned to live with it since it actually made the game challenging

The map design in 2 also wasnt as memorable in terms of nature formations and starting rides

Skyblade
04-11-2014, 11:15 PM
I would appreciate this series a lot more if it wasn't so annoyingly restrictive. The best part of it is building the roller coasters, and figuring out how awesome of one you can make. But the problem is that if you attempt to do anything remotely exciting with it, no one will want to go on it.

I can make a good roller coaster. It's not even hard. It's just boring. To the point that I usually skip them completely and just use attractions and other rides to meet my goals (which is thankfully an option).

I also really enjoy theming the parks, customizing colors, and seeing just how much fun I can have with placements and coordination, but I really get frustrated that the rollercoaster building aspect is ruined by the cowardly customers.

Dat Matt
04-12-2014, 12:54 AM
I have an extended Steel Rollercoster "shuttle loop" where it has 2 loops, an on ride photo section and goes in tandem next to another identical rollercoaster. It is jam packed my entire game. I don't tend to make my own rolelrcosters, just try to jam as many people into the park and onto rides as I can.

I'll only make rollercoasters if I an trying to purposeful kill people.

Freya
04-12-2014, 03:24 AM
I have 3 from steam with all the works.

They are making a new one for the PC as well. It's not just a mobile game. They are making a big full blown RTC4

Ayen
04-12-2014, 04:53 AM
No nostalgia memories for me. I never heard of it before this thread.

Dat Matt
04-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Rollercoaster tycoon is an odd one. I got it for like £10 out of a tiny independent game store when I was 10. Spent a large portion of my childhood playing it and age of empires 2 on my crappy windows 98. Its something that would completely fly under the radar if you didn't have prior knowledge of it.

Jiro
04-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I have the third one on Steam but it runs like absolute shit which really depresses me :(

Madame Adequate
04-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Rollercoaster Tycoon is a brilliant series and I've played the absolute shit out of all there. Ever since Theme Park showed us how brilliant it was to design such things it has been a beautiful management setting and it's never been done better than the RCT games.

blackmage_nuke
04-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Designing "good" coasters was easy but what I really enjoyed was making Go-Kart tracks since you couldnt really go wrong with them no matter how topsy turvy they were. I found you could make insane coasters too as long as you slowed it down before any big turns to minimize gforces.

Dat Matt
04-14-2014, 05:42 PM
My go kart circuits are always a small loop. Station platform, U-turn track the length of the platform, U-turn back into the station. 1 Lap.

Always has a queue of 150-200 People.

blackmage_nuke
04-15-2014, 04:31 AM
My go kart circuits are always a small loop. Station platform, U-turn track the length of the platform, U-turn back into the station. 1 Lap.

That gives you a Medium excitement at best if I recall. I like the rating to be high so I can charge more.

Also long queues are bad because it means people are standing around getting angry instead of walking around spending money.

Botchmun
04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
I WANT TO GET OFF MR BONES WILD RIDE!

I mean I like roller coaster tycoon!

Dat Matt
04-19-2014, 04:16 PM

That gives you a Medium excitement at best if I recall. I like the rating to be high so I can charge more.

Also long queues are bad because it means people are standing around getting angry instead of walking around spending money.

I have an entertainer walking around in the queue with them to keep them happy. I'll try reducing queue sizes in my next run campaign, she how that goes for me.