PDA

View Full Version : THIS IS THE OFFICIAL THREAD FOR SID MEIER'S ALPHA CENTAURI 2

Pike
04-12-2014, 05:23 PM
AKA CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH

SAME THING

qtYWqE55s24

Civilization Beyond Earth (http://www.civilization.com/#info)

GET HYPE

Madame Adequate
04-12-2014, 05:26 PM
MY HYPE IS EXPANDING TO THE POINT WHERE WE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO CONTAIN IT

:wacky: :omghey::hyper::drool::cheer::excited::monocle::omg::whoa::happybday:pinkelephant::breine::plumcheer ::mymelomfg::kaohappy2:kaocheer::kaoclove:

Slothy
04-12-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm so happy and so worried that I want to cry. This is either going to be amazing or incredibly disappointing.

NeoCracker
04-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Oh it's going to be disappointing.

It's always dissapointing when they try to revive a thing people once loved.

Skyblade
04-12-2014, 05:40 PM

I dunno. XCOM: Enemy Unknown was pretty awesome. So was Metroid Prime.

DK
04-12-2014, 05:45 PM
yes

DK
04-12-2014, 05:45 PM
yes

DK
04-12-2014, 05:46 PM
yes

DK
04-12-2014, 05:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVy5XdQhOM

Slothy
04-12-2014, 05:48 PM

Deus Ex. Mortal Kombat. Team Fortress. Mega Man X. Mega Man 9. Metal Gear Solid. Street Fighter IV. Castlevania SotN. Starfox 64. XCom. Natural Selection. TNG.

black orb
04-12-2014, 05:49 PM
>>> Terra Formars, the game..:D :luca:

DK
04-12-2014, 05:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_8WJzhsow

Skyblade
04-12-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm still a little sad that they're making a new Alpha Centauri style game when they could be making a new Master of Orion style game. But I am curious how this will play out. I never did like all the gameplay changes Alpha Centauri made to the Civilization formula (a lot of them just seemed unnecessary and confusing), so I'll be curious how this version plays out.

Pike
04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
P3ALwKeSEYs

Freya
04-12-2014, 06:04 PM
So is it like a sequel to civ and a prequel to SMAC?

The trailer looks awesome.

Madame Adequate
04-12-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm still a little sad that they're making a new Alpha Centauri style game when they could be making a new Master of Orion style game. But I am curious how this will play out. I never did like all the gameplay changes Alpha Centauri made to the Civilization formula (a lot of them just seemed unnecessary and confusing), so I'll be curious how this version plays out.

look how wrong you are how does it feel to be this wrong

Pike
04-12-2014, 06:07 PM
So is it like a sequel to civ and a prequel to SMAC?

The trailer looks awesome.

It's a spiritual successor to SMAC since EA holds the rights to the name.

So sort of a remake (from what I can see).

Freya
04-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Oh! That I didn't know. Go Civ, sticking it to the EA man.

NeoCracker
04-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Deus Ex. Mortal Kombat. Team Fortress. Mega Man X. Mega Man 9. Metal Gear Solid. Street Fighter IV. Castlevania SotN. Starfox 64. XCom. Natural Selection. TNG.

I'll give you Deus X, Team Fortress, and X-Com. However Megamn never stopped going, and was thus never revived, same with Casltevania. I have no Idea what Natural Selection is suppose to be referring too.

ANd SF IV was boring. And so was Mortal Kombat.

And TNG isn't a game, so doesn't count.

Slothy
04-12-2014, 06:51 PM

I'll give you Deus X, Team Fortress, and X-Com. However Megamn never stopped going, and was thus never revived, same with Casltevania. I have no Idea what Natural Selection is suppose to be referring too.

Your OP doesn't refer to games and I fail to see why games would be the only thing affected by this phenomenon you're arguing for so it does count.

And Mega Man may not have stopped, but no one ever talks much about the original games post-Mega Man 3 (and even that is seen as a good game but not as good as 2), hence Mega Man X was a new take on the franchise and brought renewed interest with it. That's basically the definition of a revival. And Mega Man 9 is basically a revival of the original series as well since 7 and 8, while not bad games in their own right, didn't bring nearly the amount of fan interest that X was getting or that 9 recaptured. Same thing with SotN basically since it was a bit stagnant after IV and wasn't getting an abundance of attention. The series was definitely flagging at the time SotN came out and basically exploded it's popularity to new levels while bearing little resemblance to the previous games.

And Natural Selection is an FPS it'd take all of a minute to google. The original was a wildly popular Half-Life mod. The sequel came out ten years later and is also fairly popular, and improves on the original in many ways.

As for your thoughts on SFIV and Mortal Kombat, the rest of the world seems to disagree with you and we can basically credit the former for having revived fighting games in general these days. That you don't personally agree isn't even really relevant since having those three you did agree with kind of makes my point for me.

NeoCracker
04-12-2014, 11:33 PM

Your OP doesn't refer to games and I fail to see why games would be the only thing affected by this phenomenon you're arguing for so it does count.

And Mega Man may not have stopped, but no one ever talks much about the original games post-Mega Man 3 (and even that is seen as a good game but not as good as 2), hence Mega Man X was a new take on the franchise and brought renewed interest with it. That's basically the definition of a revival. And Mega Man 9 is basically a revival of the original series as well since 7 and 8, while not bad games in their own right, didn't bring nearly the amount of fan interest that X was getting or that 9 recaptured. Same thing with SotN basically since it was a bit stagnant after IV and wasn't getting an abundance of attention. The series was definitely flagging at the time SotN came out and basically exploded it's popularity to new levels while bearing little resemblance to the previous games.

And Natural Selection is an FPS it'd take all of a minute to google. The original was a wildly popular Half-Life mod. The sequel came out ten years later and is also fairly popular, and improves on the original in many ways.

As for your thoughts on SFIV and Mortal Kombat, the rest of the world seems to disagree with you and we can basically credit the former for having revived fighting games in general these days. That you don't personally agree isn't even really relevant since having those three you did agree with kind of makes my point for me.

This is a gaming thread about a game so I assumed being relevant to gaming was a given. ;P

Interest may have been fading, but it was hardly gone. No way can you consider those to be revivals just because in hindsight the later entries weren't as good or talked about.

And I'll disagree firmly that they renewed interest in fighting games, as they were still going fairly strong. It may have increased interest, but the community wasn't exactly on the brink of dying. :p

And I'm amused anyone took me seriously at all. :p

Mirage
04-13-2014, 12:47 AM
THIS IS ME POSTING IN THE OFFICIAL THREAD FOR SID MEIER'S ALPHA CENTAURI 2.

I actually haven't played it but I trust Pike's judgement 100% when it comes to these things. It's a great game.

-edit-
I don't know what happened but somehow i thought this thread was about the first game. Now I've actually seen that video and understand that it's a new game and I am totally hyped.

Jiro
04-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Sign me up kids. I wanna go to space. This is excellent. I'm not hardcore enough to try and master SMAC but a new game in the same vein now that I am less useless of a human being is definitely relevant to my interests.

DK
04-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Dude SMAC is insanely easy to get into. I was utterly uninterested in this genre of games when I was that age and only even bothered trying SMAC because it came bundled with the PC I got when I was 13 but god damn it was the best thing ever. Mastering SMAC is not a feat to be feared, it's the most glorious adventure one can undertake. DO IT NOW and get alien crossfire as well because mmm mmm space pirates hell yes

Aulayna
04-13-2014, 08:54 PM
You could say that Vivi and Neo are SMAC talking each other.

I'll get my coat.

theundeadhero
04-14-2014, 07:26 AM
This thread isn't official!
This thread is an imitation!
What did you do with the real one?

Loony BoB
04-14-2014, 01:58 PM
I am excite.

Slothy
04-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Excitement is the only valid reaction to this news.

Old Manus
04-14-2014, 03:58 PM

As for your thoughts on SFIV and Mortal Kombat, the rest of the world seems to disagree with you and we can basically credit the former for having revived fighting games in general these days. That you don't personally agree isn't even really relevant since having those three you did agree with kind of makes my point for me.I had to check to make sure this wasn't SuperMillionaire

Slothy
04-14-2014, 05:44 PM
That statement makes no sense. I didn't make reference to random pieces of pop culture trivia no one is actually interested in.

Oh wait....

Clever girl.

Skyblade
04-14-2014, 09:01 PM

look how wrong you are how does it feel to be this wrong

Say what you like. Master of Orion II is the best 4X game ever created, and easily the best sci-fi game in the genre as well.

As for SMAC... While the game did a lot right, especially with the handling of factions, overall, I prefer the mechanics of the Civilization games. If I had a choice of which to play, I'd go back to Civilization II Fantastic Worlds over SMAC. I just prefer the gameplay. Maybe it was because I'd played so many Civilization games before, but the changes to building and colony control just really felt off to me.

NeoCracker
04-14-2014, 10:57 PM
I am now declaring victory over Vivi22 in this discussion due to assist from Manus.

Botchmun
04-14-2014, 11:05 PM
I am disappointed until someone says "Brain Worms"

Slothy
04-14-2014, 11:10 PM
I am now declaring victory over Vivi22 in this discussion due to assist from Manus.

Ah, declaring a false victory to salvage your ego. Very well.

But when the Hive takes your cities you will be nerve stapled like any other drone.

NeoCracker
04-14-2014, 11:29 PM
On a less 'I"m just saying shit to poke at Pike cause that is fun' note, I actually don't see a reason why this shoudln't turn out well. :p

Jiro
04-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Dude SMAC is insanely easy to get into. I was utterly uninterested in this genre of games when I was that age and only even bothered trying SMAC because it came bundled with the PC I got when I was 13 but god damn it was the best thing ever. Mastering SMAC is not a feat to be feared, it's the most glorious adventure one can undertake. DO IT NOW and get alien crossfire as well because mmm mmm space pirates hell yes

I meant more that the last time I tried to join the cool kids I had trouble figuring out how to get it running on my laptop or whatever. It's been a while and now I have an excuse to be a lazy shit.

escobert
04-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Ohhh I can't wait. After 800+ hours of Civ V I need a MOAR! Civ is about the only thing I've played that doesn't have DayZ in the name for the last few months.

Botchmun
04-23-2014, 07:35 AM
I'll settle for "Nerve Staple the Gene Jacks" too.

Also all this talk about 4X games makes me want to try out Last Federation, a game available on GOG.com! Conveniently enough you can get Alpha Centauri, Masters of Orion, and the Age of Wonders series there! I'm plugging the hell outa this site when I should be plugging the hell out of Centaurilization here!

Pike
04-23-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm reasonably sure I own like 90% of the GOG library at this point.

Del Murder
04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
What's the easiest way for me to play the first SMAC at this point?

Skyblade
04-28-2014, 08:33 AM
What's the easiest way for me to play the first SMAC at this point?

Buy it from GOG (http://www.gog.com/). It comes complete with all the adjustments needed to run well on current machines, and it isn't even that expensive ($6.00).

Mirage
04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
I just bought it from there, actually, following that link.

Jiro
04-29-2014, 04:21 AM
Oh, hey, that's an option then. Much easier than trying to figure it out myself.