PDA

View Full Version : Pro Wrestling [Video Game Edition]

Ayen
04-13-2014, 12:05 AM
I now know we have several pro wrestling fans on the forum. How many of you played the games? Which games?

I was introduced to wrestling and the video games through WWF War Zone for the PSX. After that the next game I played was WWF Attitude. From there I went to WCWnWo Revenge, WCW vs. nWo World Tour, WrestleMania 2000, Thunder and Nitro, WWF In Your House, WCW Mayhem for the N64, No Mercy, all the SmackDown games, both ECW games, the SmackDown vs. RAW games, Legend of Wrestling 1 and 2, WrestleMania X8 and XIX, Day of Reckoning 1 and 2, Road to WrestleMania for the GBA, TNA Impact, Legend of WrestleMania, WWE 12 and WWE 13. I also played an old wrestling game on the PSX with my brother, but I can't remember what it was. I just remember pinfalls counting till ten and that was weird as smurf.

My favorites among the ones I played are War Zone, Attitude, WCW vs. nWo World Tour, Revenge, Mayhem, WrestleMania 2000, No Mercy, SmackDown, SmackDown 2 Know Your Role, Shut Your Mouth, Here Come the Pain, SvR, SvR 2006, Legend of Wrestling 1 and 2 and Legend of WrestleMania. TNA Impact was all right. I thought their story mode was good and different. I still haven't gotten around to playing WWE 12.

Discuss.

Del Murder
04-13-2014, 06:11 PM
The first wrestling game was Pro Wrestling for the NES. I liked playing as the monster guy who would bite your face off.

I also played the hell out of WWF Superstars for Game Boy and WWF Royal Rumble for SNES.

WCW Revenge for N64 was really the start of a golden age for wrestling games. When THQ got the WWF license and released Wrestlemania 2000 using the Revenge engine it was magical. That was probably my favorite wrestling game ever. No Mercy is also a pretty good follow up. The grapple system in those old THQ games was very easy to understand and resulted in some fun matches between me and my friends. I haven't really played any games since then.

Ayen
04-13-2014, 06:22 PM
The N64 wrestling games by THQ were probably the best ones ever made. Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think in term of gameplay No Mercy is the best one. It ironed out a lot of problems from Revenge and WrestleMania 2000. Mainly being able to build momentum to your finisher, hitting it and having opponent always kicked out until you did 2 or 3 more times. The computer could also fight for a full 60 minutes no contest draw without there ever being a winner. In No Mercy you do enough damage building up to your finisher and the match usually ends there like it's supposed to.