PDA

View Full Version : Which FF would you like NOT to see a sequel to?

Wolf Kanno
04-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Occasionally fans talk about the idea of a sequel (or another sequel) to one of the FFs. So I'm asking you which FF would you like to NOT see a sequel to instead. I mean how dare SE try to play with our nostalgia? :colbert:

maybee
04-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Would say Final Fantasy XIII but they're done that twice already.

gee

http://media2.giphy.com/media/2ud0W3E7QEV20/200_s.gif

Loony BoB
04-14-2014, 11:48 AM
FFIX. I don't feel there is anything more to explore in that story and I think a sequel would not do it any favours.

VeloZer0
04-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Can I choose all of them? I can't say that I've felt like any of the sequels have been a particularly good idea.

Pumpkin
04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Sharky and I were actually talking about this the other day.

IX is my favorite, but I don't think they could do anything more with the story. It's just kind of... done. Plus there would be no Vivi and a IX without Vivi is not a IX.

CimminyCricket
04-14-2014, 04:13 PM
I wish they had never done the FFVII or the FFXIII sequels. None of the FF games should have had a sequel. They're FINAL Fantasies, not Semi-Final Fantasies.

Ayen
04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't think any of them should have a sequel. I like X-2 okay, but it was an unnecessary entry and I think sequels of individual Final Fantasy games defeats the purpose of the brand.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-14-2014, 08:44 PM
I don't want any of the games to have sequels... but I still like the thought of having prequels for a few of the games.

Mirage
04-15-2014, 02:03 AM
Any of them. I want new stories, new worlds, new systems.

Actually, I am fine with reusing worlds if they are used for entirely new, independent stories. I.E. Ivalice.

black orb
04-15-2014, 05:57 PM
>>> FF13..:luca:

Mercen-X
04-16-2014, 08:40 AM
I wish they had never done the FFVII or the FFXIII sequels. None of the FF games should have had a sequel. They're FINAL Fantasies, not Semi-Final Fantasies.
I don't think there should have ever been a Final Fantasy II. It was supposed to be Squaresoft's Final Fantasy, it wasn't envisioned as a franchise. Once they released Final Fantasy II, all bets were off. They already sold their souls. So STFU and eat your cake.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Looking at all the Final Fantasy games out there right now, I can't really think of a world where I'm going "I wish they could expand on this and make a new story".

I do like the spin-offs though. I highly enjoy games like theatrhythm and dissidia. I wouldn't mind more games like these where you can go back and revisit your favorite characters and settings without messing with the canon of the series.

Games I would like: A simulator where you can create and pilot your own Garden, not to mention the Blitzball 2K14 everyone likes to talk about.

But I liked Crisis Core, XIII-2, etc. I'm not against a prequel/sequel idea, I just can't think of any where i'm actively wanting it. Although I've always enjoyed the idea of an X prequel where you go through Braska, Jecht & Auron's journey.

Shorty
04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
No sequels. Put time and effort into a new story.

Jiro
04-25-2014, 02:11 AM
No sequel to FFVI. It wouldn't work.

Psychotic
04-25-2014, 07:41 AM
No sequel to FFVI. It wouldn't work.Coming here to say this, though IX is also another strong choice.

Kalevala
04-25-2014, 07:58 AM
All of them. Just stop. Move on and give us new worlds and stories.

Jiro
04-28-2014, 05:24 AM
No sequel to FFVI. It wouldn't work.Coming here to say this, though IX is also another strong choice.
Yeah, these two tales are very tightly wrapped up.

warrior of darkness
04-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Yeah, these two tales are very tightly wrapped up.

What about a prequel to FFVI?

Depression Moon
04-28-2014, 11:01 PM
All of them. I really can't see how they can go anywhere with VI considering that majority of the world's population is dead at the end.

VeloZer0
04-28-2014, 11:13 PM
All of them. I really can't see how they can go anywhere with VI considering that majority of the world's population is dead at the end.
Dead, and magic no longer exists.

A FF6 prequel is doable, War of the Magi, but it is so distant that you might as well be creating a world from scratch. And if you have a team that is capable of creating an engaging world from scratch why not develop something original?

warrior of darkness
04-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Dead, and magic no longer exists.

A FF6 prequel is doable, War of the Magi, but it is so distant that you might as well be creating a world from scratch. And if you have a team that is capable of creating an engaging world from scratch why not develop something original?

The prequel could involve Terra's father Maduin before the events of FFVI.

VeloZer0
04-29-2014, 08:31 AM
See, I don't see that being good. The problem is that not all good stories are readily expressible in game format. (Let alone JRPG format). When you try to shoehorn game mechanics around a story that isn't designed to accommodate them you end up compromising your ability to create a fun game, and you end up having to significantly alter the content and delivery of the story.

maybee
04-29-2014, 02:08 PM
I would like to know in more details what occurred during Final Fantasy IX's ending though.

Zidane goes after Kuja, Kuja redeems but dies, but then there's a big bang and

????????

Vivi clones himself and then writes a letter to everybody saying his goodbyes

???????

Zidane comes back

The end.

How did Zidane survive though ?

Pumpkin
04-29-2014, 07:17 PM
MAGIC

Mercen-X
04-29-2014, 09:01 PM
See, I don't see that being good. The problem is that not all good stories are readily expressible in game format. (Let alone JRPG format). When you try to shoehorn game mechanics around a story that isn't designed to accommodate them you end up compromising your ability to create a fun game, and you end up having to significantly alter the content and delivery of the story.
Wolf probably meant to imply that the sequel WOULD be a game, but it isn't stated outright, so for the sake of argument, let's assume these sequels don't have to be games. Like the Final Fantasy VII Compilation.

VeloZer0
04-30-2014, 05:06 AM
It is possible to tell other stories in these worlds through other media, though I judge the odds of them being good and not cash grabs is rather low. And mentioning the FF7 compilation doesn't exactly warm me to the whole idea. :lol:

Depression Moon
04-30-2014, 05:27 AM

I figured he went into Trance mode.

maybee
04-30-2014, 10:18 AM

I figured he went into Trance mode.

Yeah same here, though it wasn't that clear.

Trance's are triggered by high emotions and Zidane's emotions would of been through the roof, and Zidane has the most powerful trances in the story.