PDA

View Full Version : Is Shaving Un-Manly?

Forsaken Lover
04-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Naturally I looked to video games for the answer to my question.

http://i.imgur.com/aW2VM8D.png

Auron is the manliest of the manly so naturally I should follow his example ri-

http://i.imgur.com/qq4NNcv.png

Well now I just don't know.

theundeadhero
04-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Yep.

(And Auron isn't clean-shaven)

Ayen
04-15-2014, 05:08 AM
No.

Casey
04-15-2014, 05:13 AM
No. I actually shave my head from time to time because I'm to cheap to get a haircut. I read somewhere that being bald makes you look more masculine.

Shiny
04-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Are you talking specifically about armpit hair? If so then yes, but I think it's awesome that guys trim their armpit hair. Makes their smells more bearable.

Sephex
04-15-2014, 06:46 AM
What about a neckbead? It would be unmanly to shave that? Pretty sure given how people like to poke fun at people who have neckbeards, it wouldn't be considered unmanly to get rid of one.

Madame Adequate
04-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Are you talking specifically about armpit hair? If so then yes, but I think it's awesome that guys trim their armpit hair. Makes their smells more bearable.

That smell is how we attract women!

Fynn
04-15-2014, 07:34 AM
It's not.

Sometimes, if you can't actually grow a beard, it's better to shave than look like you're still that teenager with a thin dark shadow over your lips :(

Oh, we're talking about armpit hair! Silly me! Yeah, I think attitudes toward that are changing nowadays. Not that it's a bad thing.

Miss Mae
04-15-2014, 07:39 AM
I hate my underarm hair so I totally understand if a guy wants to get rid of his like society allows me to get rid of mine. It isn't a question of manliness in my opinion.

blackmage_nuke
04-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Only if you're shaving because your girlfriend is making you.

maybee
04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Would rather date a hairless armpit guy than a man that looks like he evolved from a woolly mammoth. Just sayin.

Plus male swimmers have to do it, and that's not un-manly.

Madonna
04-15-2014, 09:27 AM
I am often torn between being Amanda Palmer and being a hairless ape, and act accordingly.

These perceptions of masculinity and femininity are annoying; much better to be simply shallow and go with what you find appealing.

Jiro
04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
I do not wish to be a gross hairy sweaty beast. Does this answer the question?

Shorty
04-15-2014, 12:14 PM
A: Nope.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Yes. Real men burn it off.

Loony BoB
04-15-2014, 12:34 PM
In this age of metrosexuality, it's definitely in the eyes of the beholder as to how manly one is based on such things. I would say that it makes little difference compared to other things, though, such as how you treat people and how afraid you are of getting your hands dirty.

Jiro
04-15-2014, 12:35 PM

you are my favourite

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2014, 12:37 PM
I would say that it makes little difference compared to other things, though, such as how you treat people and how afraid you are of getting your hands dirty.

This post is like a Choose Your Own Adventure game with BoB's perversions as the central theme instead of dragons.

Forsaken Lover
04-15-2014, 07:59 PM
What if a girl doesn't want to go down on you because you have pubic hair and she doesn't want to get it all in her throat?

And yes I have shaved my pubes because or that reason.

Bit over the line there, friend. ~Shorty

CimminyCricket
04-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Only if you're shaving because your girlfriend wife is making you.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I used to be all fancy clean shaven everywhere except my head, arms, and legs.
I prefer to be, actually. I've just been trying something new and not shaving lately.

It hasn't changed how manly I feel about myself.

Rantz
04-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Listen, son, all you have to do to be a man is never talk about your emotions again, and harbour a deep resentment for women while smugly saying things like "But I love women!"

Mirage
04-16-2014, 12:44 AM

Don't the guys around you know about showers and/or deodorant?

Iceglow
04-16-2014, 12:56 AM
Mirage, it can still help to trim/shave your underarms if you enjoy working out or work in warmer climates. However, that's beside the point.

Tidying up your body hair is something for you to decide. I'm a particularly hairy guy, frankly unless I intend to use something like Nair as a shower gel I'm going to look pretty damn stupid. I trim my hair down to a shorter length though on occasion. There's nothing un-manly about taking some pride in your presentation.

Mirage
04-16-2014, 01:50 AM
It helps. of course. Maybe I'm just lucky to have low or normal amounts of BO, but I don't really smell of anything from my armpits when I wash them properly (which I always do if I'm going to meet other people) when I shower. And yes, I've asked people that I trust would tell me the truth if I did smell. I don't really use antipirant, and I usually skip deo/perfume if I'm not going to a party.

Then again, maybe Scandinavia's just got a good culture for personal hygiene? We were known for being the best smelling people of all of europe in the viking age, after all. Vikings washed their hands and faces like every day, and washed their entire bodies every week! That was pretty hardcore 1000 years ago.

Miss Mae
04-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Climate might be another factor. Scandinavia's average highest temperature is about half of ours in eastern Australia. Sweat, and the resulting body odour, becomes more of a problem when it's 43C and the humidity is 100%. I wouldn't enjoy being around guys who weren't wearing deodorant in our summer.

maybee
04-16-2014, 10:15 AM

While drinking beer and watching the Football and also while cooking a BBQ with meat only.

Edit- also while driving a sports car

Quindiana Jones
04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Stop it. I'm laughing so hard that the whiskey balanced on my gut is threatening to wobble out of reach.

Sephiroth
04-16-2014, 11:14 AM

With hot mustard.

Carl the Llama
04-16-2014, 01:10 PM

With hot mustard.

And a blow torch.

Psychotic
04-16-2014, 02:36 PM
I trim and shave some body hair. Definitely notice a difference with my pits and the odour. I shaved them entirely once and it felt fucking weird so I've never done that again but I do trim them.

Shiny
04-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Mirage, the deodorant doesn't really get on your skin if you have a bush growing out of it hence why it wouldn't smell as good.

Mirage
04-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Climate might be another factor. Scandinavia's average highest temperature is about half of ours in eastern Australia. Sweat, and the resulting body odour, becomes more of a problem when it's 43C and the humidity is 100%. I wouldn't enjoy being around guys who weren't wearing deodorant in our summer.

As I said, maybe it's just that I am lucky in that department, but I don't really have a lot of problems with it when I am on vacations in areas that are a lot warmer either.

Dat Matt
04-18-2014, 08:24 PM
I shave about once a week. I shave because the hair I do get gets annoying after a while and looks Dumb. I think of it as a blessing rather than a curse. If I shave in the morning. I look clean shaven until the next morning.