PDA

View Full Version : Would you take an all expenses trip if it was to a country going through a civil war?

Loony BoB
04-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Say someone gave you an all expenses trip to Somalia or Syria. The hotel is one of the better ones in the country. What do you do?

Jiro
04-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Depends on the place. Some places I am less likely to go to than others, but I am incredibly interested in seeing these places and these people and trying to help them and understand the situation better. And if someone is paying for it, then I'm sold.

blackmage_nuke
04-16-2014, 11:39 AM
If bullet proof vests and armoured vehicles to drive me around and discreet body guards count as "expenses" then yes assuming it was a place I actually wanted to visit like Canada

Loony BoB
04-16-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't think I'd go. I've always been a rather careful person when picking my holidays, and "war" is something I try to stay far away from.

Miss Mae
04-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Obviously depends on factors. Not all civil wars cover the whole country with constant bullets that I could get in the way of. Depending on the place, my existing interest in the place, the risks around the war, my interest in the war... But leaning on the side of yes.

Psychotic
04-16-2014, 02:49 PM
No thank you. I place a high value on my life.

Shorty
04-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Heck no. I wouldn't be able to relax, and isn't that what a vacation is supposed to be for?

Parker
04-16-2014, 03:17 PM
*dies from stray gunfire in a warzone*

welp at least my travel was free!

noxious.sunshine
04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
I would go if kotora goes.

He seems to like dangerous places cuz writing and is good at dodging bullets. I figure I could just hide behind him or something.

Shauna
04-16-2014, 07:17 PM
nope.jpg

Sephex
04-16-2014, 09:34 PM
No, because the point of traveling for a vacation is to relax, not put yourself in peril.

Ayen
04-16-2014, 10:03 PM
I go through life as a paranoid and cautious man who overcompensates to ensure his safety, so no. No I would not.

Jiro
04-17-2014, 01:28 AM
wow we got a bunch of cowards :greenie:

I think it's appropriate that the three people who ticked okay are writer types who would benefit from the experience, so that makes sense. NO FEAR

Miss Mae
04-17-2014, 01:33 AM
All these people who want relaxation from their holidays. Us writers just want something, anything, to inspire us. :p

Pumpkin
04-17-2014, 01:34 AM
Guess I'm not a real writer then :(

Miss Mae
04-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Either that or you have found a method of acquiring inspiration that does not require you to visit a war torn country. That's impressive. I can't say I have.

Ayen
04-17-2014, 01:49 AM
I am a coward. What's your point?

Jiro
04-17-2014, 01:49 AM
Need some consistency between the questions :colbert:

Jiro
04-17-2014, 01:50 AM
I am a coward. What's your point?

Simple observation!

Miss Mae
04-17-2014, 01:52 AM
I wouldn't be afraid to go to a warring country. I just have no interest in Somalia or Syria.
The question refers to civil war, wartorn country or Somalia/Syria depending on where you look. Makes it hard to discuss when everyone is answering a different question depending on where they looked first. :p

Ayen
04-17-2014, 01:55 AM
I answered under the assumption the war-torn country was a place I'd want to go. I figured Somalia and Syria were just examples.

Spooniest
04-17-2014, 01:56 AM
Not for all the tea in China.

I've never been around anything that exploded, and I don't fancy the idea. As for seeing death and pain and suffering, I'd just lose my lunch, no matter how expensive it was or who was paying for it. War is the absolute ugliest thing on earth, and I've got fully zero desire to behold it firsthand.

Funny enough, there was a time when I was little that I wanted to be a soldier, but then my school had a blood drive and I learned that seeing large amounts of what I know is real blood makes me pass out, faint.

You can call me a sissy if you want. I'm gonna stay right here in the good old peaceful USA...oh wait.

Hey, any room on that all-expenses paid trip left? :P

Ayen
04-17-2014, 02:05 AM
Ironically the woman in my set looks like she just came from a war zone.

Skyblade
04-17-2014, 02:48 AM
Are you aware just how much you have to pay in taxes for an "all expenses paid" trip? Income tax for all the expenses of the trip, at fair market value. I wouldn't go even if the country were the least threatening place on Earth. It'd just be too expensive.

kotora
04-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Been there done that. Still up for more though. :monster:

Jiro
04-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Are you aware just how much you have to pay in taxes for an "all expenses paid" trip? Income tax for all the expenses of the trip, at fair market value. I wouldn't go even if the country were the least threatening place on Earth. It'd just be too expensive.

I'll just write the taxes off as expenses :monster:

Loony BoB
04-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Having been on an all expenses paid trip to Stockholm, I can confirm that outside of paying for additional drinks and any souvenirs we wanted, we did not have to pay a penny. They pay for your flights, three meals per day with drinks, some snacks, some extra drinks, entry to venues and attractions and public transport when required. It was awesome. All I remember paying for was a few ice creams. No taxes.

Skyblade
04-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Maybe it's a US thing, then.

Whether you win vacation prizes, cash, or any other type of sweepstakes prize, US residents are responsible for declaring your prizes on your taxes as miscellaneous income.

You'll be taxed on the value of your sweepstakes prize as if you had earned it by working. Therefore, it's important to be sure that you're stating the correct fair market value on your taxes.

In addition, when you win a vacation prize, you may be responsible for other taxes as well. Some sweepstakes don't cover the taxes on the individual portions of your prize. These additional vacation sweepstakes taxes may include:
•Port taxes on cruises.
•Room taxes for hotel stays.
•Airport taxes, like the 9/11 security tax, fuel taxes, etc. for flights.

Goldenboko
04-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Nah, but I have some "friends" I could probably give it to.