PDA

View Full Version : Ultimecia

Wolf Kanno
04-17-2014, 05:56 AM
I've never cared for her, I found her personality vacant, her motive is ambiguous and poorly rationalized, and her very concept and consequence of her appearance in the plot as undermining what could have been a much better story of orphans fighting their surrogate mother figure. Still, I'm curious to know what other people may think about her. Does she ruin the game for you, or is she a delicious twist in the story?

Ayen
04-17-2014, 06:07 AM
I like her concept and motivations because it's different. While I could have done without some of the creative decisions in VIII, I admire them for being outside of the box and things you wouldn't have expected. I like the idea of a character being able to manipulate time and space and wield it like a weapon. That said, while I like the concept the execution and overall character probably could have been fleshed a lot more than it was. But she's introduced so late into the game they don't have the time to do it. I some times have to wonder if they planned ahead for this or were just pulling things out of their asses at the last minute.

Shorty
04-18-2014, 08:23 PM
I felt like her presence arrived too late in the game for it to be a real threat. The villainery kept shifting; first Edea, then Adel, then Ultimecia? It was too much.

She doesn't ruin the game, but she isn't a delicious twist in the plot. A underwhelming villain, I would say.

NeoCracker
04-19-2014, 09:38 AM
I will say I disagree her Presence arrived to late, as I recall someone before mentioning that pretty much any time you saw Edea act, it was Utimecia.

I like the concept of her just fine, being essentially a hunted Outcast. It was pretty unique by the standards of FF VIllains. I mean FF 1 and 2's villains are basically just evil dicks, 3's I can't comment on, IV's is an evil dicks, V's is Vengful Vegitation, VI's was a crazy guy Created by an evil dick who absorbs the power of Magic, VII's was a crazy guy created by an evil dick who absorbs the power of a less cool Lavos.

VIII, however, gave us a villain who spent her life as an outcast, and turned on Society for it.

However the execution was botched all to hell and while we have a good set up for a villain, she just kind of ends up being dull and generic.

It's even odder when you look at the fact she kind of won already. I mean, didn't she rule the world in her time? I could be remembering that wrong, but that kind of makes her whole time compression plan seem pointless.

I mean she would still be dull and uninteresting regardless, but yeah.

Shorty
04-20-2014, 01:45 AM
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/demosthynes/6_zpsdee9a4ec.gif

Dat Matt
04-20-2014, 01:49 AM
Gimme dat egg.

Jinx
04-20-2014, 02:41 AM
can i claim mr. shauna?

Jiro
04-20-2014, 02:42 AM
I think he's spoken for but give it a shot anyway.

Forsaken Lover
04-20-2014, 04:13 AM
I will say I disagree her Presence arrived to late, as I recall someone before mentioning that pretty much any time you saw Edea act, it was Utimecia.

I like the concept of her just fine, being essentially a hunted Outcast. It was pretty unique by the standards of FF VIllains. I mean FF 1 and 2's villains are basically just evil dicks, 3's I can't comment on, IV's is an evil dicks, V's is Vengful Vegitation, VI's was a crazy guy Created by an evil dick who absorbs the power of Magic, VII's was a crazy guy created by an evil dick who absorbs the power of a less cool Lavos.

VIII, however, gave us a villain who spent her life as an outcast, and turned on Society for it.

However the execution was botched all to hell and while we have a good set up for a villain, she just kind of ends up being dull and generic.

It's even odder when you look at the fact she kind of won already. I mean, didn't she rule the world in her time? I could be remembering that wrong, but that kind of makes her whole time compression plan seem pointless.

I mean she would still be dull and uninteresting regardless, but yeah.

Ultimecia, hearing of a legendary SeeD who will kill her, decides the best thing to do is to make a world in which she is the only being who cna live. That way she can never be killed.

Only by attempting this she enabled said legendary SeeD to get to her in the first place. So, in effect, she killed herself by trying to avoid being killed.

Kurse those Self Fulfilling Prophecies!

NeoCracker
04-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Ah right.

A quick question then. How the fuck did the Idea that there was a legendary SeeD out to kill her even spread, and why would the one who pretty much conquered the world believe this?

Shorty
04-20-2014, 05:37 AM

Yes, all of that is true, but up until you are made aware of Ultimecia, you are made to believe Edea is acting of her own accord. :roll2 Thus, she arrived too late in the game for my taste as a villain.

Pumpkin
04-20-2014, 05:40 AM
Ah right.

A quick question then. How the smurf did the Idea that there was a legendary SeeD out to kill her even spread, and why would the one who pretty much conquered the world believe this?

She heard it at the Sorceress office party

Forsaken Lover
04-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Ah right.

A quick question then. How the smurf did the Idea that there was a legendary SeeD out to kill her even spread, and why would the one who pretty much conquered the world believe this?

She was a woman who craved power. And great power she had, but she feared losing it. Trembling at unseen enemies, she spent her days scheming petty schemes. Chased by her fears, never knowing rest.

//Seymour

The answer is that once you're on top you can only fear coming down.

Or if you prefer, FFVIII is a badly written game.

Sephiroth
04-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Ultimecia from Future 2 had the control over Edea 2 in Past 2, Edea 2 got Ultimecia's (coming from a Future that has already happened, so lets say F1) power in an even further past, when Squall was a child and so Ultimecia 2 was able to control her in the first place and know that a Legendary SeeD is going to kill her. Don't get me wrong about the numbers. I am not talking about alternative universes, but for a certain Ultimecia it has happened within the cycle already so I differ it with numbers to make it easier.

To break free she wanted to create a big causality paradox. But that cannot happen in the first place because influencing general time will render the moment of her intention and everything before non-existent and so it will not happen. It could have worked if she only planned to fuse time from a present point but not past as well as the last one will mean she could never finish her plan with the last step. It is a game however.

Basically Ultimecia is tragic. She is bad, because she is bad, because she is bad ...

NeoCracker
04-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Ah right.

She was a woman who craved power. And great power she had, but she feared losing it. Trembling at unseen enemies, she spent her days scheming petty schemes. Chased by her fears, never knowing rest.

//Seymour

The answer is that once you're on top you can only fear coming down.

Or if you prefer, FFVIII is a badly written game.

Yeah, the game probably could have used a bit of time in Ultimecia's time line to maybe establish her a bit better or something. :p

Forsaken Lover
04-20-2014, 10:25 PM
I just like how she's from "the future" like the writers had no idea what they were talking about. Is she gonna be around a couple decades from now, a couple centuries a couple millennia...?

Then again, given how the entire world forgot the most powerful civilization ever (the Centra) in less than a 100 years, Ultimecia could pop up in 50 years and that would be insane and incomprehensible to people.

Really, Adel makes the most sense as the main villain. I have no idea why anyone wanted to bother with time travel. Ultimecia's entire "character" is founded on about three lines of dialogue while she was possessing Edea and that is the only reason anyone can even guess at her motives. It's truly bad writing.