PDA

View Full Version : SaGa series

Wolf Kanno
04-17-2014, 06:20 AM
You know, with the exception of the Gameboy "FFLegend" titles, I 've never really played this franchise as much but I've always been intrigued. I actually own SaGa Frontier 2 but have yet to find time to check it out but since it's the series 25th anniversary I may decide to look into catching up. So thoughts or recommendations. I only own the one game.

Endless
04-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Go for SaGa Frontier 2.

Just a word of warning, near the end, grind level/abilities/spells up before you only have the last mission arc left. Once you do, there is no coming back and leveling up, the last bosses will trash you if you come underleveled/underprepared and with no way to grind, you'll be sol. I did the mistake, and I never could even get to the last boss.

escobert
04-17-2014, 05:44 PM
I LOVE the SaGa games. 1 2 were great :)

Del Murder
04-17-2014, 07:28 PM
The ff legend games were awesome. Haven't tried any of the others.

Rez09
04-18-2014, 03:27 AM
I enjoy the SaGa games in general, and I'd recommend playing through Romancing SaGa 3 or either of the Frontier games as a place to pick up in the series. As for which, it really depends on your tastes.

RS3 and the original Frontier are open-ended games, providing the player multiple main characters with only an introduction and light story to guide them through an (almost) fully explore-able world. Frontier 2 feels more like most other RPGs in this regard, with a single, albeit shifting, lead, stronger narrative, and more directed exploration.

Additionally, Frontier 2 and RS3 (effectively) limit race selection to humans, which is well defined and balanced. Conversely, Frontier 1 features mystics, robots, and monsters in addition to humans, which offers more variety for the player at the cost of, at times, oddly off-kilter balance.

The original Frontier also feels unfinished/rushed at times, and players will almost certainly end up in areas that seem pointless because of cut elements or plot points tied to another character. This is avoided in RS3 by all the selectable characters sharing roughly the same story, and in Frontier 2 due to its more traditional approach. It is also worth noting that I found Frontier the most difficult of the three when ignoring glitches and exploits.

Of the three I generally find RS3 the most balanced experience, with a single, semi-developed story, solid combat balance, and rewarding exploration, with Frontier 2 erring on the safer, story driven side of things and Frontier 1 on the more explorative and experimentive side. Hopefully that was a helpful response. :)

Mercen-X
04-19-2014, 07:56 AM
SaGa Frontier (fun but confusing at times), Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (also fun but confusing), Unlimited SaGa (I despised the dungeon system on this: worse than FFT)

Favorite characters:
T260G, Red, Blue, Gray, Guella Ha, Hawke, Neidhart, Sif, The Minstrel/Elore, Laura and Henri