PDA

View Full Version : Cow surgery

blackmage_nuke
04-17-2014, 06:48 AM
What cut of steak do you normally get and why?
What cut of would you get if you had no restrictions on money/availability at your market?
What other factors do you look for when buying a raw steak?

I dont want to hear any nonsense about rare/medium/well done. This is about cuts!

Side topic: Do you eat the fat around the edge?

noxious.sunshine
04-17-2014, 03:58 PM
A large dry aged porterhouse.

Go big or go home, bitches.

I usually get sirloin cuz cheap, though ordering from FreshDirect, steaks are $7/lb or so, so it isn't often I buy them.

If I'm making tacos, I'll grab flank or something thin & cheaper than sirloin because it gets finely chopped and cooked with onion, garlic, and jalepeno and stuff.

I really like bone-in ribeye and NY Strip as well.

Absolutely -no- "thin cut" business. I prefer 1.5" - 2" thickness because it's easier to get them Pittsburgh rare/med rare.

Also, I look for good marbling throughout the steak. I used to eat the fat, but I don't anymore.

escobert
04-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Don't really care about the cut tbh. I use A1 sauce so it doesn't really matter :p and no, I don't eat the fat of ANY meat.

Jess
04-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I don't eat steak. Well, beef steak. I like a good pork loin steak. Yum.

Mirage
04-21-2014, 12:34 AM
Top sirloin is usually pretty reasonably priced in norway. I usually go with that. I have no idea what i would get if i had no restrictions cause i know very little about steaks.

I look for cuts that have few huge lumps of non-meat stuff still on them. I don't like paying for things I can't actually digest.