PDA

View Full Version : Insider says remake is happening

Carl the Llama
04-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Every now and then, I do the stupid thing, and search online for any possible new about a remake (lol I know), but this time I have managed to dig something up:

http://cdn.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/FFVII-1-670x502.jpg

There has been a lot of talk, in the past few years, about a possible remake of the massively popular JRPG Final Fantasy VII, but Square Enix always remained semi-silent on the issue, only dropping hints here and there. A few days ago Producer Yoshinori Kitase himself said (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-a-chat-about-that-final-fantasy-7-remake) that he’d love to do it, but “it would take a lot” for it to happen.

Recently industry insider Verendus, that is known to have very strong connections within the Japanese gaming industry, posted on NeoGAF mentioning that the project is happening:

It’s happening. He’s obviously not going to give any indication as such though so it hardly matters until they’re ready to announce something. His comments make sense. It’s a huge project that will take a lot of effort, and demand a lot from him personally, in order to ensure the end result is something satisfactory.

Of course, as usual with this kind of leaks from insiders, we should take what is said with a sizable pinch of salt, but Verendus has a good track record with the information he receives from his sources, so Final Fantasy VII aficionados may not yet be able to uncork the champagne, but at least they can start filling the bucket with ice.

Personally I am going to continue to remain skeptical, but with the news that SONY are selling their shares, could be a sign that VII could be a multi platform game, which I suspect would have been one of the requirements.

Jinx
04-18-2014, 05:22 PM
I'll only believe it when I've got the copy in my hands.

Shorty
04-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I am skeptical. It should be a possibility for them, and they should be willing to jump on it like madmen. Typically, I am a traditionalist for games and have expressed distaste for gaming remakes in the past, but the more I think about this, the more I think they are stupid to not be doing it. I think the original will always and forever remain a classic, but with how much demand there is for this remake, surely they can put aside their Lightning sequels and make this happen.

metagloria
04-18-2014, 06:45 PM
There's absolutely no chance it won't get remade at SOME point in the future, whether next year or in 15 years. But Square's smart enough to realize that it's the most important remake they'll ever do, so they have to get everything about it right (and, in fact, that criterion is probably impossible, because you can't please everyone). But for a company who thrive on remaking their classics to forever look the other way and ignore their most beloved and clamored-for title? Not a chance.

Skyblade
04-18-2014, 06:50 PM
I do not want Square to remake it. They'll insert Genesis, emo Cloud, and every other stupid retcon the Compilation has added in, with the result being that the new game will lose all the charm and style that the original game had. It will be an utter disaster.

Sephiroth
04-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I know that one.

Well, if some guy who legally doesn't own anything about Final Fantasy says it who am I to doubt it.

Skyblade, or it will be a disaster because of the exact reason, the realistic reason, a Square employee said:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/01/17/rumor-square-enix-tells-final-fantasy-vii-fans-to-let-it-go-should-we/

Ayen
04-18-2014, 08:22 PM
I heard about this news a while back but didn't post it because I found the source shady. I'm with Jinx on this one.

Jiro
04-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Cautiously optimistic. It would be make or break for them, though.

Big D
04-19-2014, 01:44 AM
I suppose it'll have to happen eventually, unless Square-Enix goes bust or they totally abandon the Final Fantasy franchise beforehand.

I'd be all in favour of a faithful remake, just with current-gen graphics, a tweaked translation, and maybe a voice cast. I doubt they'd actually seriously change or retcon anything in the original game just to cater to the additional material in the compilation, unless it was a token reference like a "Genesis report" in the Nibelheim mansion, or a locked "Deepground Project" security door in the Shinra building.

black orb
04-19-2014, 10:38 PM
>>> SE, just make up your mind and do the smurfing FF7 remake already... please..:luca:

Shorty
04-19-2014, 11:34 PM
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/demosthynes/egg12_zpsb234f25c.gif

Shorty
04-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Scotty_ffgamer has claimed this in the Lucky Eggs thread!

maybee
04-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Sorry but don't believe it, we have had so many rumors and everything and they all turned out to be lies.

Psychotic
04-20-2014, 06:07 PM
I want them to remake it as a pinball game. Not that I like or dislike pinball I just think it's be amusing if the long awaited remake was a pinball game!

Sephex
04-20-2014, 11:39 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Jiro
04-21-2014, 04:46 AM
I want them to remake it as a pinball game. Not that I like or dislike pinball I just think it's be amusing if the long awaited remake was a pinball game!

I'm at the point now where a troll remake would actually entertain me a lot more than a half-assed one, tbh.

Wolf Kanno
04-21-2014, 06:23 AM
I want them to remake this game so we can stop talking about it. There are better games out there that deserve remakes more than this one. 53133

NeoCracker
04-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Yeah man! I mean how long have we all been waiting for an HD Paladins Quest Remake?

Carl the Llama
04-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I see "I don't want a remake" "If they do a remake they will probably fuck it up" "I don't want to see a remake because they will include the genesis crap", what I read is "I secretly want a remake, but its been so long I will remain derisive about it to everyone else".

I know why people don't want a remake, because it was such a popular game the first time around, you think it will breed a new wave of hate for other games/fanboism and hundreds of secret ways to revive Aerith. Fact is, I too remain pessimistic about a re-release, but at least I still want one. As for all the people who say they don't want a remake because of all the things that happened in Crisis Core, I don't care either way, I liked the game. And while many feel Genesis was tacked on to make it more interesting, it does stand to reason that there are more then one Soldier 1st Class, and indeed at least some of them would be jealous of all the attention Sephiroth gets.

Bolivar
04-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I do not want Square to remake it. They'll insert Genesis, emo Cloud, and every other stupid retcon the Compilation has added in, with the result being that the new game will lose all the charm and style that the original game had. It will be an utter disaster.

This. They've already revised whether Cloud killed Sephiroth or not back and forth, I just don't want all this extra tacked on crap bloating what was already a special game in 1997.

The other big fear is known: Square will unavoidably make this with the highest end graphics and many of the story scenes will not translate. Moreover, they will likely completely revise the heart of the combat system given Japanese aversion to create menu-driven, turn-based battles with high definition graphics.

The only thing that could work would be what Square did with Tactics Ogre in 2011. The made the game as if it was made with modern sensibilities but in essence they did not change a thing. The developers even had a hard time putting into words what it is they actually did, which is probably why it turned out so well.

Kalevala
04-23-2014, 11:49 PM
There's absolutely no chance it won't get remade at SOME point in the future, whether next year or in 15 years.

Which is when it should happen. The game isn't even 20 years old yet. I'm not saying a remake shouldn't happen, but they should at least wait a little longer.

Bubba
04-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Congratulations to all the winners :monster: