PDA

View Full Version : Which FF game is the most under-appreciated?

Wolf Kanno
04-22-2014, 06:28 AM
With such a huge series of games, one or two are bound to be neglected, others will shunned by being next to more popular games and others just have had a hard time of it getting noticed. So which FF do you feel is the most under-appreciated?

Skyblade
04-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Final Fantasy II. I mean, I know that even I under-appreciate it. It was solid on the story and characters, and did great by the series. I just can't stand the ridiculous design decisions in the mechanics, from the crazy leveling systems to the randomly assembled tiles that they call "dungeons". The game gets so much hate, and it's really only deserving of about half the hate it gets.

Pumpkin
04-22-2014, 03:46 PM
A few in their own ways.

IX is the big one. It gets a lot of love from this forum but its just pretty much ignored overall, I find. I also think it sold less than VII and VIII and X by a good enough margin, but I could be wrong.

V is sandwiched in between IV and VI which are very loved games and it doesn't get a lot of love.

XII seems to be under appreciated by a lot of people, myself included at first.

Karifean
04-22-2014, 03:53 PM
I would say FFX-2 but the hate seems to have calmed down a lot and people seem to be enjoying the game for what it is rather than hating it for it.

Bolivar
04-22-2014, 05:54 PM
2 5 and 12.

VeloZer0
04-22-2014, 05:56 PM
I honestly don't feel that any of them are under-appreciated. There are certainly ones that I feel are over appreciated.

The only one I wished was talker about more is FFT, and I think that is due to lack of people playing it. The ones that have tend to be quite positive about it.

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2014, 04:42 AM
I'm actually going to say Type-0 cause I've never seen an FF game receive so much apathy from the fanbase.

Skyblade
04-24-2014, 05:03 AM
I'm actually going to say Type-0 cause I've never seen an FF game receive so much apathy from the fanbase.

Well, most of the fan base haven't played it. Which sucks, because it is awesome.

Everyone needs to go get themselves a copy so that we can all talk about it.

black orb
04-24-2014, 05:21 AM
>>> FF2..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2014, 05:25 AM

Well, most of the fan base haven't played it. Which sucks, because it is awesome.

It's not just that no one has played it, as much as it seems like it has been largely ignored in favor of the rest of the FNC by the fanbase. Operation Suzaku is a nice start but it just doesn't feel like they are getting the attention like Operation Rainfall did (course controversy helped their case) and it seems like when I talk to people about the game, they either didn't realize it existed or didn't seem interested in it as much as other games.

Nice
04-25-2014, 05:25 PM
XII.

I also feel like square hates VI because they won't release a respectable remaster a la ff iv.

Bolivar
04-25-2014, 06:07 PM

It's not just that no one has played it, as much as it seems like it has been largely ignored in favor of the rest of the FNC by the fanbase. Operation Suzaku is a nice start but it just doesn't feel like they are getting the attention like Operation Rainfall did (course controversy helped their case) and it seems like when I talk to people about the game, they either didn't realize it existed or didn't seem interested in it as much as other games.

Final Fantasy or no, it's kinda hard to get excited for another mission-based Action RPG when the PSP already had so many good ones. And I think people learned their lesson with Operation Rainfall, with 2 out of 3 games losing the excitement surrounding them once people actually got to play them. Tales of Hearts R and likely Valkyria Chronicles 3 are more requested.

https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/346859422557040640

Fynn
04-25-2014, 06:24 PM
I heard only Pandora's Tower was "meh" to people once it came out. I actually like it far better than The Last Story, even though the latter seems to get gushes of fangasms all over the place, for whatever reason.

On topic, gotta say 2 and 12. 2 really is a little gem and it is so sad that so many people neglect it due to how different it is. 12 still needs more attention even though there is now a vocal group of supporters. I want FF to reach the maturity of that game again.

metagloria
04-25-2014, 06:58 PM
I think V, because it gets lost in the nostalgia of IV and VI for the SNES generation, but had the best gameplay of the bunch.

Elpizo
04-26-2014, 12:24 AM
III, obviously. The western world didn't even know of its existence until sixteen years after its release when the DS remake came out. By the time it finally did arrive here the game simply stood no chance, not having the nostalgia of the first Final Fantasy or the more streamlined, modernised design of the 16-bit titles and onward. Its job system is constantly compared to V's and considered inferior and people scoff at its story, even though both were absolutely ground-breaking for their time. III did so much for the series, but the fanbase wasn't aware of this until it was already too late. Now, III is doomed to forever be that forgotten entry in the series that people play and say "meh" after finishing it. Considering how amazing the game is, especially considering the console it was made for, that just stings.

Ayen
04-26-2014, 01:38 AM
I'm going to agree with those who said II, V and IX. I'm guilty of under-appreciating II and IX myself.