PDA

View Full Version : Favorite location?

Pumpkin
04-22-2014, 04:56 PM
VIII has one of the most memorable worlds to me and I love so many of the areas. What is your favorite location?

I would say mine is Balamb Garden. I also love Balamb, FH, Shumi Village, and Esthar.

metagloria
04-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Totally agreed. I get absorbed into the FF8 world almost more than any other when playing it. Balamb Garden is a masterpiece...I want it to exist in real life as part of a FF theme park so I can go there.

Shorty
04-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Balamb, Fisherman's Horizon, Winhill, Deling City. I don't know which I like the most. Probably Balamb.

I like Esthar quite a bit in aesthetic sense, but it's too clean and modern for my taste.

Pumpkin
04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Oh Winhill is very pretty as well!

Scotty_ffgamer
04-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Balamb, Fisherman's Horizon, Winhill, Deling City. I don't know which I like the most. Probably Balamb.

I like Esthar quite a bit in aesthetic sense, but it's too clean and modern for my taste.

I was pretty much going to say this, so I'll be lazy and just quote Shorty.

Wolf Kanno
04-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Dollet and Deiling City are probably my favorite. Balamb isn't too bad either.

Jiro
04-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Winhill makes me feel lethargic. I much prefer something like Balamb: relaxed but still with an energy.

Loony BoB
04-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Esthar City (place to travel to regularly), Balamb (place to chill), Deling City (place to live), Balamb Garden (place to live) and Lunatic Pandora Laboratory (place to work).

No places suitable for vacation, sadly, as apparently tropics just aren't a thing in this world. Honourable mention to Shumi Village for being a place that I'd love to visit once on a weekend holiday or something.

Ayen
04-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Timber. I like the trains and Timber Maniacs. I'd probably follow Laguna's footsteps and become a journalist.

Pumpkin
04-23-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm surprides at the love for Deling City. It's easily one of my least favorite in the game. That and Galbadia Garden.

Forsaken Lover
04-26-2014, 02:23 AM
FFVIII's world feels so....unspectacular, probably because it's the most "modern" FF we've ever had. It's not the faux-early 20th Century of FFVII or the futuristic FFXIII, it's just plain old now. I feel that's conveyed by the music for the towns, none of which is particularly magical or memorable. It's not bad but it doesn't feature that sense of whimsy or fantasy if you prefer.

Just compare the world map themes for VII, VIII and IX.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuyw90GuWIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAWcVKDqxg

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdGoENQNQ4

There is no comparison. The foreboding atmosphere of VII's theme and the beautiful, light-hearted nature of IX's theme, destroy the mundane and unremarkable-ness of VIII's theme.

This is also evident enough in towns too.

Most of VIIi's town themes are rooted in this same mundane tone, all because it is "modern."

Scotty_ffgamer
04-26-2014, 03:43 AM
I actually really like Blue Fields. In my first year of college I actually put on the orchestral version of that song sometimes when I'd walk down to the park before I began running just because it made me feel like I was on a journey. Granted, the orchestral version is more interesting than the in game version. I just felt it better conveyed a feeling of traveling than VII or IX. It can get repetitive quickly, though. I also felt all the music fit the towns/cities/scenes real well. If you find the towns themselves unremarkable, I suppose I could see how the town themes can feel a bit unremarkable too. I don't know.

Forsaken Lover
04-26-2014, 05:03 AM
There's just not much going on in them. Believe me, I explored every town I've been to thoroughly on my latest playthrough. Timber has like, four places you can go into. Timber Maniacs, the hotel, old man house and the pub. Oh and the house of the other resistance person.

And it was still probably the most interesting town for me. I do like its theme since it's sort of....I dunno how to describe it. Not exactly ominous but it gets you a bit on edge.

I really don't know what's going on with the Deling City theme.

Oh and of course FH's theme is great, i will never deny that.