PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably Priced House; Catch: Someone Died Here!

Shorty
04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
If given the opportunity to score a house for an incredibly reasonable or good price, would you take it knowing someone had died there? What if someone was murdered there? What if there were other factors, like a meth lab was operated there?

I think I would have trouble with it. If someone just died, well, people die all the time. But if someone was murdered, that might not sit well with me.

What bout you?

Pumpkin
04-23-2014, 12:24 AM
I would as long as it wasn't a drug house because I've heard too many stories about there being drugs stashed here and there and then the people getting in trouble for it.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-23-2014, 12:25 AM
A murder home does not bother me at all. Would purchase.

Bunny
04-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Murder house? No problem. Drug house? Only if it was cleared for safety and I could have a full inspection done to avoid what shion mentioned.

noxious.sunshine
04-23-2014, 12:54 AM
I will not buy a house if I know that meth has been cooked in it.

The chemicals/chemical fumes from cooking meth can soak into the walls after some time and cause children to get very ill. The only way to fix the problem is to completely knock out the walls and possibly pull up the floors and re-build. A fresh coat of paint won't help anything.

Of course, it all depends on how big the lab was, exactly -which- chemicals were used, and how long the people had been operating their lab, but IMO, if it's been cooked at all in there, I'm not risking it.

And on top of that, I should think that it'd be pretty unlikely the real estate agent would be up front and honest about there having been a lab 'cuz they know that they'll almost definitely lose the interest of a potential buyer.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-23-2014, 01:12 AM
It honestly depends for me. Are there issues with the entire neighborhood about murders and whatnot? If it's a bad neighborhood where that sort of thing is common, I would avoid it. If it was a one off thing, I'd be more likely to buy it. Just someone dying in the house isn't a big thing for me.

Big D
04-23-2014, 01:45 AM
Meth production is a seriously toxic process. Quite often, they simply can't be cleaned back to a safely habitable state and have to be demolished. I'd be wary of purchasing, or even renting, a place with that kind of history unless I had reliable guarantees of its safety and cleanup.

NeoCracker
04-23-2014, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I grew up in a house someone died in. No trouble for me. :p

Sephex
04-23-2014, 02:55 AM
I had sex on a couch where I knew someone died on. I wouldn't have a problem with the house.

blackmage_nuke
04-23-2014, 02:57 AM
Yes to the murders as long as it was a one off thing and the murderer is locked away and not coming back indiscriminately to finish off anyone he missed in the house the first time.
Yes to a natural death as long as the disease that killed them is identified and not contagious.

No to the methlab I dont want to be one of those houses that get raided in the middle of the night becuase they didnt take it off the suspected houses list. Also chemicals.

fire_of_avalon
04-23-2014, 03:06 AM
I sleep in the room both my great grandparents died in. No problems.

Murder house = no way. I read too many ghost stories.

Slothy
04-23-2014, 03:36 AM
Meth production is a seriously toxic process. Quite often, they simply can't be cleaned back to a safely habitable state and have to be demolished. I'd be wary of purchasing, or even renting, a place with that kind of history unless I had reliable guarantees of its safety and cleanup.

This.

As far as murder and stuff I don't see why I'd care. If I don't believe in a soul or afterlife, there's nothing to fear.

Wolf Kanno
04-23-2014, 03:45 AM
Shit, think of all the money you could get charging ghost hunters to investigate the place. I wouldn't really be bothered, of anything I think a house with such an interesting history to it would be a selling point for me, but I love macabre stuff like that. Not sure how I would feel about a Meth Lab.

Psychotic
04-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Let me tell you somethin': Bustin' makes me feel good!

Sephex
04-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Let me tell you somethin': Bustin' makes me feel good!

That's basically what I said when I got off the couch. Glad you've been paying attention.

Iceglow
04-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Drugs lab/den no. Simply put you'll either end up with some rival dealers/producers getting their information wrong looking for people, chemical poisoning or police raids at 3am with a semi-auto being shoved in your face.

Murder victims house? Probably not an issue, probably lived in places previously owned by some form of violent criminal or had violent crimes up to and including murder inside of. London's quite the old city. You're not likely to find affordable new builds here. They all tend to be "luxury apartments" which cost way too much for what they are, £200k for a 1 bedroom studio apartment? As my midland born ancestors would declare "like fook!".

Natural causes deaths wouldn't in the slightest bother me.

Jiro
04-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Yes to the murders as long as it was a one off thing and the murderer is locked away and not coming back indiscriminately to finish off anyone he missed in the house the first time.
Yes to a natural death as long as the disease that killed them is identified and not contagious.

No to the methlab I dont want to be one of those houses that get raided in the middle of the night becuase they didnt take it off the suspected houses list. Also chemicals.

Miss Mae
04-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Death I have absolutely no problem with, particularly if it wasn't a hostile death.

I would have very little issue moving into a house where a murder was committed. Also no issue with a drug house if, like others said, it was very very well inspected and I knew there weren't going to be any hidden surprises in the walls that might get found down the track. The only other factor I would consider is how much time had passed between murder/drugs and buying the house. I'd hate to accidentally have drug dealers/addicts rocking up at my house because they think a meth lab is still operating there.

Kalevala
04-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I refuse to move into a house where a murder hasn't taken place. :colbert:

Meth lab is a bonus.

Ayen
04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
I want to say yes, but I'm superstitious enough to think there'd be ghosts and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

The drug house thing wouldn't bother me.

Bubba
04-23-2014, 03:43 PM
It wouldn't bother me at all and I don't think it would bother most people.

My old neighbour's house in which I brutally stabbed them all to death for parking at the top of my drive sold really quickly. It wasn't at a reduced rate either.

Parker
04-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't bother me, as long as it was fit for use

Mirage
04-24-2014, 11:39 AM
So what if someone has died in your house? Would buy. I could just resell it later anyway. Why would I need to tell anyone that somebody had died there?

sharkythesharkdogg
04-25-2014, 03:58 PM
What if people continue showing up at your house to die after you buy it? What are the rules? Do I need to leave out snacks, or magazines?

I'm all for being supportive while people search for their final resting place, but getting up in the morning and tripping over dead people in the hallway sounds like a bummer. :(

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-26-2014, 07:09 AM
http://www.logodesignlove.com/images/classic/ghostbusters-logo.jpg