PDA

View Full Version : Super Expensive House; Catch: No one can die here!

blackmage_nuke
04-23-2014, 11:53 AM
A wizard has cast a magic spell on a house such that anyone inside it can not die.

People are only immune to death whilst inside the property boundaries, when you leave you are vulnerable. You will still age inside the house but you will never deteriorate so much that your brain stops working completely. The house wont cure any fatal diseases, it just stops them from killing you until you leave. If you shoot yourself/get shot in the heart, you still have a bullet in your now useless heart but the magic will pump blood to your brain for you. All bullets/blunt objects will magically disolve before they reach your brain

But the house is ridiculously expensive, you'll pretty much have to work the rest of your life to keep paying the mortgage before the bank takes it away so you dont get to retire or have too many luxuries.

No renting out rooms to rich dying people.

Bubba
04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
What is the question? Would I live there? Probably not.

"After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" - Albus Dumbledore

Miss Mae
04-23-2014, 12:12 PM
To me a life isn't much of a life if I can't actually live. Having to work all of my life means I would probably have to leave the house anyway, unless I somehow manage to score a well-paying work-at-home job. I'd much rather have a less-magical house, work less, retire earlier and see the world.

Kalevala
04-23-2014, 12:17 PM
What if someone breaks into the house? Now they can torture you as much as they want and you'll never die, suffering forever.

This is a terrible idea.

blackmage_nuke
04-23-2014, 12:26 PM
What if someone breaks into the house? Now they can torture you as much as they want and you'll never die, suffering forever.

This is a terrible idea.

Do you really have NO friends to swing by to check up on you if you vanish for a month?

Also if I had a magic house I would beef it up with the best security I could just to stop people trying to take it from me.

Kalevala
04-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Do you really have NO friends to swing by to check up on you if you vanish for a month?

:cry:

Miss Mae
04-23-2014, 12:36 PM
What happens when I get old and all the friends I do have are dead, but I can't die because I have a magic house.

Do I lock them all in the magic house with me so that I never have to lose my friends?

Then the torturer can come and mess with all of us old, frail humans forever.

My answer is still no thank you.

blackmage_nuke
04-23-2014, 12:37 PM
What happens when I get old and all the friends I do have are dead, but I can't die because I have a magic house.

You can die. You just have to leave. Once you hit 120 im pretty sure stepping outside will kill you.

Miss Mae
04-23-2014, 12:46 PM

You can die. You just have to leave. Once you hit 120 im pretty sure stepping outside will kill you.
I just meant in regards to torture. The only reason I have friends is to pop in and ensure I'm not being tortured. Otherwise friendless immortality sounds fine to me.

Jiro
04-23-2014, 12:46 PM
I have full faith that humanity will find a way to keep me alive forever without sacrificing, y'know, fun or the point of living.

Ayen
04-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Sounds like prolonging the inevitable. You'll have to leave that house sooner or later.

I live in Kansas. This can only end in one way.

noxious.sunshine
04-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Absolutely not.

I barely even have a desire to live past 60 or 65.

Loony BoB
04-23-2014, 04:47 PM
I want to travel, so...

Pumpkin
04-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Would not buy

Mirage
04-23-2014, 05:22 PM
A wizard has cast a magic spell on a house such that anyone inside it can not die.

People are only immune to death whilst inside the property boundaries, when you leave you are vulnerable. You will still age inside the house but you will never deteriorate so much that your brain stops working completely. The house wont cure any fatal diseases, it just stops them from killing you until you leave. If you shoot yourself/get shot in the heart, you still have a bullet in your now useless heart but the magic will pump blood to your brain for you. All bullets/blunt objects will magically disolve before they reach your brain

But the house is ridiculously expensive, you'll pretty much have to work the rest of your life to keep paying the mortgage before the bank takes it away so you dont get to retire or have too many luxuries.

I'll buy it, after I finish educating myself as a doctor. Then I will turn it into the only hospital in the world where patients can survive normally fatal implications during treatment. I'm sure that will get me quite an income, perhaps enough to even pay down the loan way before what would be expected.

Treating rich people of their curable (although extremely hard to cure, but still possible) diseases is not the same as renting it out to rich dying people. Even if I do lose the house to the bank because I'm not able to pay it off, I'll still have a lot better experience with illnesses that are difficult to treat than any other doctor on the planet, so I can probably get a really good job somewhere else.

how about that, blackmagenuke?!

Kalevala
04-23-2014, 11:04 PM

I just meant in regards to torture. The only reason I have friends is to pop in and ensure I'm not being tortured. Otherwise friendless immortality sounds fine to me.

Exactly. Not to mention there's a good chance that by the time you hit 120 word will have spread that there's something eerie about you or the house you live in. People will start to notice something is amiss.

blackmage_nuke
04-24-2014, 12:51 AM

I'll buy it, after I finish educating myself as a doctor. Then I will turn it into the only hospital in the world where patients can survive normally fatal implications during treatment. I'm sure that will get me quite an income, perhaps enough to even pay down the loan way before what would be expected.

Treating rich people of their curable (although extremely hard to cure, but still possible) diseases is not the same as renting it out to rich dying people. Even if I do lose the house to the bank because I'm not able to pay it off, I'll still have a lot better experience with illnesses that are difficult to treat than any other doctor on the planet, so I can probably get a really good job somewhere else.

That sounds like a pretty solid plan. If you want to be a doctor anyway.

Mirage
04-24-2014, 04:09 AM

That sounds like a pretty solid plan. If you want to be a doctor anyway.

I don't, but I do want to have money and be world famous.

Ayen
04-24-2014, 05:18 AM

Best idea so far.