PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Remember This Movie...

Forsaken Lover
04-25-2014, 12:50 AM
So I'm watching a guy play FFVII and he made a reference that I know I know...but I just can't place it. It's from a movie - at least I'm 99% sure it is - and it's something about marketing and advertisement.
The reference he made and which I instantly picked up on "going...TOTAL TANK!" In my mind, the scene is something about a guy pitching a mascot or toy or whatever that was cute and sweet now being turned into an action hero or something like that.

Was it Small Soldiers? I don't think it was Small Soldiers but I just...I'm so frustrated because I really want to remember where this is from.

Pike
04-25-2014, 01:53 AM
So I'm watching a guy play FFVII and he made a reference that I know I know...but I just can't place it. It's from a movie - at least I'm 99% sure it is - and it's something about marketing and advertisement.
The reference he made and which I instantly picked up on "going...TOTAL TANK!" In my mind, the scene is something about a guy pitching a mascot or toy or whatever that was cute and sweet now being turned into an action hero or something like that.

The Santa Clause.

The Santa Claus Total Tank Scene - YouTube (http://youtu.be/YR4h2BRtZ_k?t=47s)

Sadly didn't get this one off the top of my head; I google'd it. The Santa Clause was a great flick though.

Jiro
04-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Okay I have one. Some 90s film set in some kind of apocalyptic world where they play some kind of sport that involves bludgeoning each other in the head and carrying like a skull to the other end of the field? Like football (USA) but with more death and violence. The cover had an embossed fist iirc. I don't remember much else :(

Freya
04-25-2014, 02:45 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7d/RollerballPoster.jpg/220px-RollerballPoster.jpg

???

Jiro
04-25-2014, 03:10 AM
That hits the brief but it isn't the right film! This one was played entirely in the desert and on foot. Damn good effort though, wow.

Freya
04-25-2014, 05:21 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XpRwN30Gd6s/USAQ_SqOVkI/AAAAAAAAAew/rgbKkAewa6I/s1600/the-blood-of-heroes.jpeg

A Mad Max-esque post apocalyptic world provides the backdrop for a brutal, futuristic game resembling football. Rutger Hauer plays a disgraced former star leading a rag tag group of "Juggers" to one of the remaining Nine Cities for glory and redemption

?

Jiro
04-28-2014, 02:46 AM
Yeah that's the one. Hot damn. I had an alternate cover probably because of Australia but that's the one.

krissy
04-28-2014, 03:19 AM
great job freya the movie sherlock

edit:

ok an anime film
it was not for kids so i watchd it as a kid
this super powerful schoolgirl fighting aliens? maybe? at some point they kidnap her friend and she jumps up on the bad guy alien ships to get to the main ship? cause she's a bad ass?
there's a scene where she's late for school and has to put on clothes real quick in her messy room
i think it was raunchy but i was 8 so dont remember
really short skirts all around iirc

edit 2:

early 90's, late 80's maybe? watched around 93, 94

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Yeah that's the one. Hot damn. I had an alternate cover probably because of Australia but that's the one.

Hah! She spent a long time looking for it, too.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-29-2014, 09:00 PM

edit:

ok an anime film
this super powerful schoolgirl fighting aliens? maybe? at some point they kidnap her friend and she jumps up on the bad guy alien ships to get to the main ship? cause she's a bad ass?
there's a scene where she's late for school and has to put on clothes real quick in her messy room

edit 2:

That sounds like Project A-Ko, and is totally awesome, cheesy, ridiculous storyline 80's anime.

It's nothing inappropriate to me, but http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2jxpyNmj11qar0xto1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJP67HANH6OVWEMMQ&Expires=1414073184&Signature=Qkl8HA804ChoQEYEJBUwmuyyHkw%3D#_=_

Mercen-X
04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
There was a scene at the end of Paul where Sigourney Weaver is crushed by the opening hatch of a spaceship. This reminded me of a scene (which I've previously mentioned on these forums and people were unable to figure out what I was talking about then). It was a type of training montage for a fight and when the day came for the fighters to meet, one fighter was being cheered by a crowd until he was crushed by the opening hatch of the spaceship that brought his opponent who then steps out wondering who it was he had to fight. The difficulty lies in the fact that I don't know the year or the format though it was more than likely a cartoon (however, it could have been live-action as it plays very much like a parody). Also, the hatch may not have come from a spaceship. What other vehicles have hatches that open downward and could potentially crush people?

krissy
04-30-2014, 05:27 AM

edit:

ok an anime film

edit 2:

That sounds like Project A-Ko, and is totally awesome, cheesy, ridiculous storyline 80's anime.

It's nothing inappropriate to me, but http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2jxpyNmj11qar0xto1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1398887970&Signature=PaAb5X%2Btyx2hYAT7gxohyLDuzdw%3D#_=_

tooooootallly it, thank youuu!!!!!

sharkythesharkdogg
04-30-2014, 12:53 PM
No worries! It's been a long time, but from what I remember it's not too raunchy. It's about as silly and over the top, and has about the same amount of exposed skin as Ranma 1/2.

You have ridiculously over-powered people, unrequited love, and silly character archetypes. It's not the same, but there are some similarities. Plus I just like the art style of 80's anime.