PDA

View Full Version : Men, shaving your face!

Iceglow
04-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Ok so today, I decided to spoil myself as I had an interview and needed a haircut I asked my barber for a full beard trim, tidy and shave. Now personally I love this little extravagance, the shave you get from a straight razor is far superior, it's glorious. Personally when I was younger I did learn how to shave with a straight razor (though I'd need some practice these days before I could consider myself proficient at it) and have got my eye on buying a full straight razor set.

So my discussion with you men is this:

Have you ever had a barber's shave?

Did you like it?

Would you buy a straight razor set and learn to do it yourself?

What's your current shaving tools?

Ladies, I know this is a little gender specific but frankly, the area's you shave you wouldn't ask someone to shave it for you in a public place.

Mirage
04-25-2014, 04:12 PM
No.
N/A
No.
Electric razor.

black orb
04-25-2014, 04:26 PM
>>> I dont shave my face..:luca:

Calliope
04-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Ladies, I know this is a little gender specific but frankly, the area's you shave you wouldn't ask someone to shave it for you in a public place.

People pay to get brazilian waxes, why wouldn't someone also pay to have their legs shaved instead? All of this gendered hair nonsense strikes me as very strange. Also, it's a pity that you have to shave for a job interview and that so many employers find facial hair unacceptable.

Iceglow
04-25-2014, 05:01 PM
I still have my beard, just it needed trimming and I decided to be lazy/indulgent and ask for the guy to do the shave too. The interview was for a promotion at my current company.

fire_of_avalon
04-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Down with shaving, up with beards!

Parker
04-25-2014, 05:33 PM
I use a double edge razor, some fancy soaps, and a cheapish badger hair brush. I'd like to upgrade the brush and I would definitely consider getting a straight razor, but the time buffing it every day would make an already long task longer. I love my DE, it's a Merkur and while it was somewhat expensive the money I save buying Feather razor blades instead of GILETTE ULTRA POWER 15-BLADE MAN EXTRA WITH ALOE STRIP is ridiculous. lmao at your life if you're still paying £15 or w/e it is for terrible razor blades.

Having said all that, lately I'm prone to growing out my beard, so I'm only shaving once a month or so.

Iceglow
04-25-2014, 05:42 PM
lmao, for the record, my current razor is a Wilkinson Sword double edged single blade "vintage style" razor. I like it but I feel it lacks the precision for beard shaping that straight would give me.

Parker
04-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Yea, being straight, I don't shape my beard. But you're right, a straight would give you far better control than a DE.

Shorty
04-25-2014, 08:13 PM
I've heard that having a barber shave is one of the most relaxing things ever for men and that every man should have one once.

Iceglow
04-25-2014, 09:15 PM
I've heard that having a barber shave is one of the most relaxing things ever for men and that every man should have one once.

This is somewhat true. The first time is actually disconcerting as hell. Here's you, trusting some random man with a razor that close to your throat where if he coughed accidentally at the wrong moment the blade could kill you. It's the subsequent times, (particularly if you have a regular barber) when you've relaxed to the idea of this guy taking a sharp implement to your throat what makes this an amazing experience.

Shiny
04-25-2014, 09:50 PM
We may not get public shaves but we do public threading or waxing. I'm not ashamed to say that I get my stache waxed. It seems to weird for me to bleach it.

Shorty
04-25-2014, 11:51 PM
I would never bleach facial hair. That's weird. Just remove it! (Thanks, Nair.)

Dat Matt
04-26-2014, 12:21 AM
No
N/A
No
Standard Manual Razor.

I don't actually need to shave often. Once a week is usually the average. I don't have that often because of it.

Ayen
04-26-2014, 01:42 AM
All the time. I actually prefer to get shaved at a barber than doing it myself. I have an electric shaver at home, but it can't shave worth trout. When I do shave I need to use a manual shaver to get anywhere, but I tend to just let it grow until the next visit at the barber shop.

Jiro
04-26-2014, 03:37 AM
No
N/A
No
Standard Manual Razor.

I don't actually need to shave often. Once a week is usually the average. I don't have that often because of it.

This is pretty much the go for me too. Except even less frequently.