PDA

View Full Version : Meetup.com

Jinx
04-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Has anyone here used it? Any success? Any failures?

If you were to join, what kind of group would you look for?

Formalhaut
04-25-2014, 07:38 PM
I think most people are content with EoFF for their match up needs. That, and I'm already taken. Not to mention, I don't know how I feel about the idea of on-line dating.

Agent Proto
04-25-2014, 07:50 PM
I've never used it, but it has been recommended since I have been wanting to join a boardgame meeting for some time. The options available to me aren't that appealing though, so I might have to pass.

Endless
04-25-2014, 07:56 PM
..........................................................this isn't an online dating site

Wait, what? EoFF isn't?

Shorty
04-25-2014, 08:08 PM
It's an easy enough mistake to make about meetup.com. I've joined groups but never gone through with meeting people.

Formalhaut
04-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Oh wait, it's more of a friendly 'meet others like you!' type deal? My bad!

Seeing how I am stupid enough to mistake it for a dating site, I obviously haven't used or even heard of it before. Having said that, it seems nice enough.

noxious.sunshine
04-25-2014, 10:08 PM
My sister's girlfriend wanted to sign us up for it back when I was living w them after I got back from Phoenix.

Cuz she mostly wanted me out of the house more, and used her social anxiety issues as a front to try and get me to join with her.

We didn't do it though.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-26-2014, 01:26 AM
I was in a couple different groups in San Diego. It was cool meeting up and just hanging out with people talking about whatever the group was about. I was in a photography group and a ocean swim group.

Jiro
04-26-2014, 03:38 AM
I don't generally have trouble meeting people with similar interests but I guess if I found a niche thing I wanted to partake in then I wouldn't pass it up as an option.

fire_of_avalon
04-26-2014, 03:57 AM
I've looked at it before but most of the ones in my area are all holistic medicine, reiki master, tarot reader groups that I don't have much of an interest in. There is a movie group I've thought about joining because they just go see everything but the age range is weird. It's mostly older people, I think.

There's also a board game group but it seems like a lot of people who know each other really well.

There's a beginners hiking group but they always want to go out to eat first and I am like "I CAN'T EAT WITH YOU YET I DON"T KNOW YOU."

Then there are the gay and lesbian groups that don't want me because I'm not gay or lesbian.

And finally there's the "professional singles" group that has over a thousand members but only 20 of them hang out and they go to bars twice a week and are all beautiful and no.

Lonely Paper Star
04-26-2014, 05:25 PM
I had fun with Meetup. I go to some of the local boardgame ones, and the people are pretty friendly.

Shauna
04-27-2014, 09:23 PM
There is nothing interesting in my local area.

Calliope
05-02-2014, 06:13 AM
I once went to a potluck group I'd found there, it was alright. Then I moved to a bigger city and had better luck meeting people organically.

Shlup
05-02-2014, 09:45 AM
I spend enough time around other humans as it is.

Jess
05-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Not for me!

Mercen-X
05-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Throughout my life, I've had a difficult time thinking of others as having anything in common with me. The reason I frequent this site is because Final Fantasy is something we all have in common, but that's never been reason enough for anyone here to want to meet me. Lately, it seems that something everyone has in common (and something I was slow to catch onto) is watching Game of Thrones. I originally thought it was an actual game like League of Legends that I was not hip enough to understand or an online thing I was not willing to pay for. Then I saw the gifs of Sean Bean and the Khal Drogo "kill you with my bear hands" gif and I became honestly curious. But it wasn't until my ex decided to read the book that I figured I'd find out what was going on.

Anyway, the point is that there would be little reason to use meetup.com as I can't afford to travel far from my home town and no one wants to come out to the Bay Area. Apparently, I am the only person in the world who lives in California.