PDA

View Full Version : The OOC Thread

Loony BoB
04-26-2014, 12:00 PM
In this thread you can discuss the story without actually interrupting the flow of the story thread. So, any non-RP discussion of the story goes here.

Loony BoB
04-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Posted the first actual story post. It's nothing in particular of importance, but simply thought I'd put in the appearance of one person so you guys can get a feeling of how they "appear". I imagine most people that we play as won't have as terrible a reaction (and as early a death) as I did this particular person who happens to be called Daniel and is from Edinburgh did.

Fingers crossed, we'll have a few people making appearances soon. When you do appear, expect a sense of confusion/dizziness as it should be unexplained (even though some more advanced civilizations might have theories regarding it, there is at the moment NO confirmed way that Outworlders are appearing in this world). So you could have an Outworlder called Picard who travels between worlds all the time and he suddenly appears in this one, and just assumes that some kind of teleport-competent race has abducted him into this world, but in reality this may not actually be the case.

Essentially nobody should know how they got into the world, but there can certainly be coincidences where people might think that something in paticular has happened through stories or technology or magic. In fact, your characters should absolutely theorise on how they got there, although for now the main story is just how people react to each other.

Formalhaut
04-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Posted my first story post. I'm trying to keep things nice and ordered, and so I'm using the GoT chapter style. I hope it works. And I hope people actually like my writing!

Agent Proto
04-29-2014, 06:52 PM
I actually like that idea for using GoT styled chapter headings. I will start doing that as well.

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 12:52 AM
Really enjoying this so far. I've never RPed before, so I hope I'm not obviously sucky at this. On a more positive note, Paper Star! You implemented a Queen's Festival in their story didn't you: Thank you! As soon as I saw that, I thought of a great opportunity to seam it into my own storyline. Thanks! :D

Lonely Paper Star
05-01-2014, 12:58 AM
I think BoB started it, actually. But since continuity is good, I made sure to be aware of it in my posts. Native Sedorrans should know about the queen's events~ XD

PS - you're doing fine in the RP! I've seen some bad RPers and no one here is close to that. :D

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 01:00 AM
I think BoB started it, actually. But since continuity is good, I made sure to be aware of it in my posts. Native Sedorrans should know about the queen's events~ XD

PS - you're doing fine in the RP! I've seen some bad RPers and no one here is close to that. :D

Was it BoB? I don't know, I haven't read everyone's yet. :p Whoever it was, good job. I like continuity as well. Makes Sedorra seem like a connected place.

Agent Proto
05-01-2014, 03:44 AM
So we have special events for this RP? :D

Loony BoB
05-01-2014, 10:37 AM
There is a festival for the Queen of Lucrecia taking place in Lucrecia (obviously) at the moment. The festival is officially in the evening, however the dancers and entertainers have recently arrived in King's Square (the main trading area of Lucrecia) and are showing off, as entertainers tend to in order to build up hype and get into the mood for such festivals.

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Quiet today. I would post more but I just did and I want to leave the chance to others before I post again.

POST MORE PEOPLE

Loony BoB
05-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Yes. More posts. All the posts! :mwahaha:

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Hang on, hang on! It takes me awhile to figure out what my character is going to be doing. I'll be posting Locke's third chapter at some point today.

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Locke is having Latte's with his bro, Lumberjack.

Loony BoB
05-01-2014, 05:14 PM
I aim to start pushing events into real flow beyond "oh, it's a new world" soonish, unless another GM wants to mix things up themselves. It'll move towards "Oh, the people have figured out that this is A Thing". Once that happens we'll really be able to start getting a few people together and arranging a proper plot rather than the current large grouping of separate plots.

Also, I may soon introduce bad people.

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 05:27 PM
If anyone is happy to use my character in their stories, feel free. I can then work it into my own story, much like how Shion and BoB got a proper conversation going on with your characters.

Agent Proto
05-01-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm figuring out what to do with Radley. There's likely going to be few interaction with other characters for him.

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Posted! This third chapter is mostly talking, exposition and setting things up, but the next chapter (besides the next one) will probably be more exciting.

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 06:22 PM
If I made a small footnotes entry, I'll edit in the new posts. I only had 3 stories in the last one, so the new ones are edited in to that post in case anyone is looking for them.

Lonely Paper Star
05-02-2014, 04:19 AM
Can I have a quick location check? I would just like to know where everyone is at this time~ :choc2:

Pumpkin
05-02-2014, 04:20 AM
I'm in Lucrecia

Formalhaut
05-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Can I have a quick location check? I would just like to know where everyone is at this time~ :choc2:

Currently in a as of yet unnamed village somewhere in the farmlands: about two day's travelling on foot to Lucrecia. Locke is in the next chapter journeying to Lucrecia, and will probably be there for awhile.

Miss Mae
05-02-2014, 04:29 AM
I'll be posting sometime today.
I'm kind of just chilling waiting for this, since I put Cohen in a position to talk to Tala and I don't want to move him out until that interaction occurs.

I'm in Lucrecia.

Agent Proto
05-02-2014, 04:32 AM
I believe I'm located around the islands of the northern bay.

Formalhaut
05-02-2014, 04:34 AM
On a side note, I'd love for my character to interact with some others when he reaches Lucrecia. I do sort of have his main story plotted out for the next two or three chapters (a very rough idea, mind) but I'd be great to have him meet some people. I'm not entirely sure how I would go about that though. I've never RPed before, so I'm not exactly sure what the protocol is for using other people's characters.

Lonely Paper Star
05-02-2014, 04:36 AM
I'm currently headed into the Wylds, and I think there'll be someone in the area, but perhaps it's someone who hasn't posted in the RP yet. Orrrr I'm making something up and misread something. ;A;

Pumpkin
05-02-2014, 04:46 AM
I'm I supposed to have a vague overall story idea for my character? I'm more kind of going with the flow and seeing what happens, since I don't know where we'll end up going or why or how outworlders ended up in Sedorra.

Miss Mae
05-02-2014, 04:52 AM
Don't worry shion, I'm pretty much just going with the flow as well. I know things about what Cohen will want - like he's very curious, so he's going to be very interested to learn everything he can about this new world - but that's something that I will weave in however it fits. I don't have a plan.

Araciel
05-02-2014, 04:56 AM
I'm making a live map with character links as well as a character list which is more accessible. Hopefully be done shortly.

Miss Mae
05-02-2014, 11:41 AM
This isn't meant as a criticism, but I know I (and maybe others) are having trouble understanding some posts when they don't have regular (or any) line breaks.

Generally in creative writing, new paragraphs are used to denote a new person speaking and/or a new idea. This allows for plenty of space and makes it a lot easier for readers to follow ideas. I've gotten lost a couple of times in posts where there has been a lot of dialogue from different people in the one paragraph and a lot of "he said" - it makes it hard to tell who exactly "he" is referring to each time it's used.

It would be super helpful if people leant on the enter key a little more and put in a few more line breaks - I don't want to have to skip over anyone's posts just because I find them hard to follow.

Kossage
05-02-2014, 01:15 PM
I agree. Having line breaks makes post easier to read and helps me understand who is saying what to whom. This is especially useful for someone who doesn't speak English as their mother tongue such as myself. :)

Speaking plots, I do have an overarching plotline for my characters, but I'm also more than happy to adapt depending on what they end up experiencing and who they end up interacting with. Part of the fun is just going with the flow and just seeing what happens.

Also, Haruko and Nargul are presently in Lucrecia.

Loony BoB
05-02-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm actually trying to add line breaks to some posts right now, I hope nobody minds. Although there are some sentences so long that they could be an entire paragraph on their own...

To focus on one person that was excited was no use here as there were enough surrounding them and of which he couldn't totally avoid to deceive that were enough to put down the scale to a depressing negativity so it was better to use his empathy skills by focussing on a mass of people at once with their mixed feelings and holding the balance as well this way.
It may be worth going over that part and re-writing it a bit, because it confused the hell out of me. >_>;

Formalhaut
05-02-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm definitely not a creative writer. I've hardly ever written anything in my life. So each time someone else speaks, I have to go onto a new paragraph? I'd have like ten paragraphs for a simple two way conversation!

I think I'll read some of other people's and try to emulate how they write.

Loony BoB
05-02-2014, 05:10 PM
It definitely makes it easier to go to a new line for a new speaker, yeah. You may end up with 10 "paragraphs" but more likely they will be short lines.

Here (http://writetodone.com/10-easy-ways-to-improve-your-dialogue/) are some neat tips, but you certainly don't need to read through everything. I would say #10 is the most relevant point to what we're talking about here.

Formalhaut
05-02-2014, 05:11 PM
It definitely makes it easier to go to a new line for a new speaker, yeah. You may end up with 10 "paragraphs" but more likely they will be short lines.

Here (http://writetodone.com/10-easy-ways-to-improve-your-dialogue/) are some neat tips, but you certainly don't need to read through everything.

Fair enough. It might look abit odd though, having ten short snippety lines. I suppose I should though. Thanks for the tips Mae and BoB.

Loony BoB
05-02-2014, 05:21 PM
No worries. One thing we may need to agree on is how to write out thoughts. There are multiple ways to do this and none are known to me as "the right way" or "the wrong way"... some involve speech marks, some involve italics, some involve both. I think italics is the best option, but I'm not sure if speech marks would be needed...

Formalhaut
05-02-2014, 05:23 PM
No worries. One thing we may need to agree on is how to write out thoughts. There are multiple ways to do this and none are known to me as "the right way" or "the wrong way"... some involve speech marks, some involve italics, some involve both. I think italics is the best option, but I'm not sure if speech marks would be needed...

I'm unsure with thoughts as well. So far, I've let my third person narration do the work. I suppose italics? That's a good point actually. I might include more thoughts in the future.

Pumpkin
05-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Yeah sorry, I debated changing lines for every sentence when I was doing Kathvi and Jahred (because that's normally how I write) but I didn't know how it worked for this type of thing :(. Hopefully it wasn't too hard to read.

But now I know!

Kossage
05-02-2014, 11:21 PM
I've always written direct thoughts in italics without speech marks. Italics also serve the function of emphasizing certain words in descriptive sentences or dialogue in general.

And yeah, separating each person's dialogue by a paragraph makes it easier to read. Sometimes, if one character has a longer monologue, I tend to separate that monologue into multiple paragraphs too for readability's sake, but this is simply a personal preference.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Because my character Jhera can only communicate via telepathy, I use italics to annotate that telepathic communication. I usually try to write something like 'he thought to himself' so you know when he is thinking and not telepathing.

Miss Mae
05-03-2014, 01:42 AM
I use italics with no quotation marks as a general rule for thoughts. Imo consistency is less important than clarity in that area - if the styling is a little different but I still know that the character is thinking, then that's fine by me. But if it's decided there needs to be a general rule, I'll try to adhere to it.

Jiro
05-03-2014, 02:05 AM
There are about six different ways to represent thoughts that are standard. Italics and no punctuation is probably the most common and it seems like everybody here does that already, so that would be the best way. Keep in mind that it might still be worth including attribution; because this is written in third person, and not first person, you want to attribute nearly everything so nobody confuses who is talking or thinking.

Sephiroth
05-03-2014, 02:22 AM
I'm actually trying to add line breaks to some posts right now, I hope nobody minds. Although there are some sentences so long that they could be an entire paragraph on their own...

To focus on one person that was excited was no use here as there were enough surrounding them and of which he couldn't totally avoid to deceive that were enough to put down the scale to a depressing negativity so it was better to use his empathy skills by focussing on a mass of people at once with their mixed feelings and holding the balance as well this way.
It may be worth going over that part and re-writing it a bit, because it confused the hell out of me. >_>;

If you were a super-computer you could read it. However the sentence was confusing anyway because I accidentally wrote "deceive" instead of perceive.

I changed the part.

Citizen Bleys
05-03-2014, 06:28 AM
I'll have Dez in Lucrecia soon, I just needed a bit more character development before he's ready to interact with any player characters.

He's going to hate the smurf out of one of you, by the way.

Formalhaut
05-03-2014, 02:19 PM
I'll have Dez in Lucrecia soon, I just needed a bit more character development before he's ready to interact with any player characters.

He's going to hate the smurf out of one of you, by the way.

I hope it isn't Locke :p

Citizen Bleys
05-05-2014, 05:19 PM
@Locky: Since your character is coming from Earth, and you haven't written your transition in, I just thought I'd throw this out there:

The odour of toothpaste makes bears horny. We have bear people on Sedorra. The jokes write themselves.

Formalhaut
05-05-2014, 09:32 PM
The odor of toothpaste makes bears horny? xD

:stare:

Loony BoB
05-05-2014, 09:46 PM
Only one way to find out if that's true or not. Any volunteers? ...no?

Miss Mae
05-06-2014, 02:47 AM
Is it the odour of toothpaste or just the odour of mint? If it is the toothpaste, what makes the smell of toothpaste different to the smell of mint alone? I have so many questions.

Agent Proto
05-07-2014, 05:37 PM
It looks like the momentum the RP had at the beginning has begun to slow down lately, hasn't it?

Loony BoB
05-07-2014, 05:39 PM
I'll tap Jinx on the shoulder, at the moment there are a few characters that are awaiting her next post.

Lonely Paper Star
05-07-2014, 05:52 PM
BoB, did you see my QuickTopic post? :o

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 03:49 AM
I'll tap Jinx on the shoulder, at the moment there are a few characters that are awaiting her next post.
I am one of these, yes. Otherwise I'd probably be writing everyday.

I'm looking forward to the festival really getting underway - that should add some excitement for everybody.

Loony BoB
05-08-2014, 11:34 AM
The lady Jinx has been busy, but we have a bit of good news in that she should be posting soon enough. I enquired about controlling of the character by other people and she said other people can if she isn't posting, and given that I believe AlaynaMae and Jinx have been in touch regarding something they want to do, I figure it best that Alayna does this in the short term should Jinx not be able to post today. :)

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Yeah we've talked about this via Mognet already. No stress. Will get something up for Cohen in the morning my time if there isn't anything new. :)

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 01:12 PM
No stress. Just made another character for the sake of playing around in a different part of the map. No pressure, girl. You just focus on feeling good! :jess:

Citizen Bleys
05-09-2014, 02:59 AM
The odor of toothpaste makes bears horny? xD

QI - Series B - Bears - British Comedy Guide (http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/qi/episodes/2/5/)

*Devore*
05-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I would be posting more often but I've been waiting for Kassage to post again as they were the one who thought of the Ceiling Cat, but they never described what it was like and I didnt want to step on any toes by taking that from them. But its been almost a week so I may have to.

Pumpkin
05-09-2014, 07:28 PM
I is wit for BoB which is okay because I have a ton of stuff to do and am not in a good mind frame to do it.

I hope I don't mess up other people's characters when writing for them. That makes me nervous

Sephiroth
05-09-2014, 09:22 PM
I'll be writing tomorrow afternoon or something like that. Hopefully the story has not reached a point were the final boss has arrived and I am just sitting around with my level 1 character in the first town.

Formalhaut
05-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Currently at a conference so Locke will have to wait until Monday when it ends.

Have loads planned for him though. Excited!

Agent Proto
05-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Formy, I have Ziad at that Inn where Locke is at, so I have planned for them to meet soon.

Formalhaut
05-09-2014, 11:03 PM
I said earlier that feel free to have my characters interact with yours whenever. You don't need my permission, go for it! I work with the story.

i mean, if there's a specific thing you wanted to ask me, ask away, but my character can be used whenever. Just don't kill him, of course.

Lonely Paper Star
05-09-2014, 11:35 PM
I sort of maybe got bored and made a table in Araciel's thread of where everyone currently is. (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156150-Lucrecian-Star-Calendar-(Reference)?p=3409109#post3409109)

I'll update it every few RP posts or so. :cool:

Sephiroth
05-10-2014, 02:08 AM
I'm out of the story.

Kossage
05-10-2014, 07:41 PM
I would be posting more often but I've been waiting for Kassage to post again as they were the one who thought of the Ceiling Cat, but they never described what it was like and I didnt want to step on any toes by taking that from them. But its been almost a week so I may have to.

It's Kossage. Kassage makes me think of funny things in Finnish related to my job. ;)

I've been very busy this past week, so I've yet to catch up on the story and continue the plot on my characters' end. Anyway, feel free to continue the story on your end and describe the Ceiling Cat any way you deem fit; you're not stepping on any toes as far as I'm concerned, and I'll happily adapt to others' writings. This is a collaborative effort, after all. Heck, you might even end up running into Nargul while he's getting drunk in good (?) company. :)

I mainly introduced the Ceiling Cat in the first place because I wanted to have a sly reference to why Nargul wouldn't want to go to the Quiet Lobster (a reference to a Sedorra hangout thread in this forum) as well as introduce another tavern where Nargul could do some funny stuff.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Honestly, I am having a really hard time keeping up with this. Just so you all know, I didn't forget. I've just been dealing with a lot of real life stuff this past couple weeks that has been getting in the way of everything.

I will try and get back into this. I just have to catch back up now.

Loony BoB
05-13-2014, 08:21 AM
That's no worry, man. If you're around another player and having conversations with them and whatnot but won't be around to allow them to keep going, send them a message (or post in this thread) with a general idea of what you hope to happen with them if you are happy for others to just control your character over the short term. :)

Loony BoB
05-13-2014, 01:41 PM
No worries. I still haven't played Damon or BoB in the RP, personally. Want to see how things go and find the right time for them to join in - Damon will probably join in sooner rather than later as a Lucrecian guard.

Pumpkin
05-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Would someone mind taking over the cliffnotes for me please? I'm just not in a good spot for it right now

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 12:31 PM
C'mon everyone, let's not let this thing die too early! I think I may make a little addition to the rules stating that if the "owner" of a character who is rather central to things moving forward has not posted for a while then another player can take over the character until the "owner" returns. I just don't want this little beauty to stall too early on. :shobon:

Formalhaut
05-16-2014, 12:55 PM
University ends next week. I am posting, just with admittedly less frequency. Expect more Locke when that happens!

Shion, I do not mind taking over the cliff notes. :)

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Yeah, don't take my post as any kind of criticism for anyone being away - everyone has good reasons for being busy. It's more just a contingency plan we can all be aware of to ensure that the story can move onwards even while people are occupied elsewhere. :)

Jiro
05-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Be careful not to step on any toes, though. It might be worth "taking over" to simply direct the flow elsewhere. Don't interact, per se. Just say "oh I'm busy" and move your own character elsewhere, so that nobody has additions to their character that they don't like.

Formalhaut
05-16-2014, 01:00 PM
I agree. My character is currently engaging with Ziad/Agent Proto, and I'm just letting him run by character in whatever direction he sees fit. I just go with the flow.

Well, besides killing my character.

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Yeah, it's always best to do something to sideline a character rather than making them "your own" or someting. I find the easiest way is to come up with a notable distraction that could cause people to suddenly have to move in a different direction, away from the silent character.

Miss Mae
05-16-2014, 01:33 PM
That's sort of supposed to be the point of an OOC thread, I believe?

But yes, every RP I've been involved in has had some planning going on behind the scenes so that people know what direction others are vaguely heading in and don't inject themselves into situations where they then change the entire direction of their plot. Particularly this early on in the story, it's hard to know where people see their characters going, if anywhere, so outlining our hopes and dreams for the immediate futures of our characters would be helpful.

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 02:50 PM
I fully suggest talking either in this thread or to the GM's (all of them) for any planned plots - in an RP you have to always expect that people will interrupt things as that's just the nature of how things move forward, but you also have to be very flexible as you're not writing a story on your own. Essentially the entire point of an RP such as this is that it's very reactive rather than pre-planned... I've intentionally kept the general situation at the moment very unplanned purely with the interest of seeing how people react to each other and the situation they find themselves in.

For example, I can say that I plan for Outworlders to become recognized by the general public (and labelled as Outworlders by said general public) sooner rather than later. I see it as an inevitability. I expect real plots will develop at this point in a way similar to that of a TV series rather than that of a film. By this I mean that antagonists will make themselves known and plotlines will naturally develop as a result of these antagonists... TV series can adapt to things like actors quitting, while films can not do that so easily.

Naturally, not all plans can coexist so not everyone's plans will work out. This is just how things are with RPs - they're a series of reactions rather than a novel written with a fixed structure that can be edited and tweaked until it becomes a full fledged thing. However, even when a plan is interrupted, that doesn't mean that the plan is thrown out - it could continue naturally in just a few posts, or it could adapt. Work with each other and create interesting developments that can leave everyone happy. :)

For example, you could plan on leading an army to attack a city, but then someone says that the army is heading to a different location. You can then post about splitting the army later on, and have the armies attack both cities, perhaps with different outcomes! Always remember that a diversion doesn't mean a dead end.

Miss Mae
05-16-2014, 02:55 PM
I'm not talking pre-planned as in knowing everything, but interactions are generally talked about before they happen, at least in RPs I've been in (and I've been in quite a few). I definitely don't have a fixed plan - at the my only plan is that I think Tala and Cohen will get along, and that's it. It's all very vague.

Generally speaking, I think a courtesy "Do you mind if X comes and interacts with Y at this point, or are you in the middle of something?" in OOC would be polite at this point when there are a lot of characters in the process of trying to get to know each other.

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Ah, my experiences have been notably different - they tend to just post their appearance in an area, sometimes walk up to people and introduce themselves, sometimes find themselves thrust into situations and everyone just reacts to them.

I guess with so many people around the place at the moment I kind of just assume everyone is going to expect to be running into everyone and moving around a little until something rather notable happens. Much more reactive than anything... the only time I've ever asked if I can do anything in an RP is when it actually changed a "world" plot rather than the plot of an individual. Oh, or if I were to control someone, of course, by making them do or say things... but I rarely do that in the first place.

Essentially like real life - when you're somewhere, sometimes people come up to you and you may not want them to, but they're there and you react.

Miss Mae
05-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Yeah, different experiences lead to different expectations. I'm all for the world changing and needing to react to it, but that's large scale. I'm not used to smaller or one-on-one interactions occuring without the parties involved first having a brief "Is this cool?" "Yeah awesome!" or "Can you wait a few posts until I..." type chat.

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 03:10 PM
What happens if you have a party of four or so people, and someone else wants to join in? Which person makes the decision?

I'll bring it up with the GMs as something to establish a "standard" for as it's clearly a case of different people expecting different things, and we've got a number of people from very different groups here so either way one group will have to adapt to the different style. More insight and perspective from more people will always be welcome on this, though, so feel free to discuss!

Miss Mae
05-16-2014, 03:18 PM
That's why the discussions are had in an OOC thread - makes it much easier for everyone to see if something is happening or if new people could easily join. Often if you can see what other people are doing, it's easy to tell if your character would fit in or not. If you think you'll fit, you post there and the first person to see it makes the decisions or whoever was leading the current events says "Yeah sure" or "Give us until we get to the water - got something planned!' or whatever. It depends on individual circumstances.

For example, you are leading shion's character across the city presently, so if somebody wanted to join the two of you, you would probably be the one to answer since you are more aware of where you are leading her etc. You might not have a solid plan, but you are sort of in charge of where her character is going in current circumstances. If the two of you were traveling more equally, either or both of you would. Case by case basis sort of deal.

In the past we've always just had a thread where we update as we have ideas and say "Hey, X and I were thinking about going to Y or doing Z next" and somebody else might think "Hey that sounds awesome - can my character join you on that trip?" and they'd be like "Yeah sure - just let us finish this conversation about whatever first. It's important for my character's backstory." It was always super informal.

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Aww, but I like getting surprised when things happen. :( It feels more real, like I'm actually playing a part in a book. If I know what people are going to be doing then it kind of removes a lot of the potential for drama!

Miss Mae
05-16-2014, 03:23 PM
It doesn't have to be detailed at all. The surprises come from the interactions and natural evolutions. But if a particular adventure is taking place, or if you plan on taking your character to a different town or whatever, it gives people the opportunity to get involved with that. Or, if somebody sees something taking place in the Official RP thread, it gives them a place to ask if they're welcome to just rock up and join. Like I said, it's basically just an informal chat where ideas are bounced around and people join up that way.

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Perhaps an alternative option would be for everything to be fair game unless stated otherwise. So if you don't want people to rock up and join in, then you state so in the OOC thread. Otherwise, people can assume you're happy to just let things happen and react in kind.

Miss Mae
05-16-2014, 03:28 PM
This works.

Loony BoB
05-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Cool, works for me too. It allows for surprise meetings without forcing them. Of course, I'll let the rest of the GMs have the final say on this one, they could prefer another option and I'm flexible.

EDIT: Jinx, it's probably worth noting that I had no idea that you and Alayna were doing anything at the time I made my post about spotting yourselves. I had looked at it and assumed you were just waiting to talk to someone, and under my experience of RP's that was fair game. It wasn't intended as rude or anything like it! It was merely a case of someone "growing up" with different RP rules, which is normal really - I mean, some RP's I've seen force you to play with dice and have set magic spells and whatnot, let alone rules about introductions! When you ended a post mentioning that your character saw our characters watching you, I saw that as an invitation to move in, as you didn't put anything like "I think someone's watching us, let's move."

It's early days, though - we're inevitably going to come into things like this where people from different RP backgrounds are going to see different things as strange and even rude, but always remember to assume it's an innocent thing and that no harm is meant. Over time we'll all learn how to move with this RP and it'll be great! :D Also, there is no reason that our characters are now tied together, we could merely cross paths and move on. You two can still have your journey separate to ours if you wish. I have many an idea of how at this point we could be split apart! I shall be sure to utilise one of those ideas shortly.

Check this thread at tGA (http://thegamersalliance.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9) for the general style that inspired this RP. 8th post onwards has a similar discussion!

Lonely Paper Star
05-16-2014, 09:34 PM
My experience in RP relied mainly on reactions and improvisation. There was some pre-planning, but those would just involve location/physical direction, with one of us going, "okay, my character will be here at this area where you are. That cool?" And we'd normally give consent. If there is some heavy event that could possibly happen, we would explain and ask consent for that too, only if that event is necessary (for example, if we needed it to progress the RP). Otherwise, there isn't much detail to it.

Anyway... I agree that all interaction should be fair game unless otherwise stated.

Unrelated P.S. - Madonna, apologies for not posting as Camille yet. I will do this before the weekend is over.

Miss Mae
05-17-2014, 03:40 AM
That basically sums up my experience PaperStar.

Thanks for the mognet earlier BoB about whether Cohen wanted to say anything before Jahred and Kathvi moved on. That's basically the sorts of discussions I've always had - no surprises ruined there!

Formalhaut
05-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Agree with everything written above. Having said that, my characters story is fairly fluid at the moment, so don't ever feel the need to step on my toes with Locke, just do it :)

Loony BoB
05-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Aaaaahahahahahahaha. *falls off chair*

Miss Mae
05-19-2014, 12:26 PM
You missed one.

Akim grinned to himself, the Doban always had a talent for the extroadinary.

:p

Loony BoB
05-19-2014, 12:29 PM
xD Thanks. Oh man. This is what I get for spending so much time creating the race as opposed to creating the character. I wasn't even intending on using him for more than one post!

Miss Mae
05-19-2014, 12:32 PM
:hahaha: Yes, I gathered from the slip up that your mind might've been a little more focused on the race than the character himself. It's nice when characters have a mind of their own and serve more of a purpose than was initially intended.

Loony BoB
05-19-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm still yet to establish any real depth to the poor fella. :shobon: But it's early days. I feel the opposite about Damon - I intend on him being a longer term character, I have a lot of ideas for him, but so far the right time to introduce him hasn't come about. I already know BoB the jaguar all too well, so he won't be nearly as tricky to write in but again, I need the right time.

Damon will be entering sooner rather than later, though...

Lonely Paper Star
05-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Not a huge number of location changes, but I updated the chart, anyway (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156150-Lucrecian-Star-Calendar-(Reference)?p=3409109#post3409109).

Again, let me know if there are corrections, or if you want me to be more specific about where you are or whatnot. :3

*Devore*
06-18-2014, 01:17 AM
Any chance that we can get this going again?

Miss Mae
06-18-2014, 05:38 AM
I think it would be helpful if something were to happen big picture in the story. A lot of people have started interacting to a small extent now, but there's no much to talk about when we don't know anything and nothing's going on. The festival really kicking off would probably help.

Loony BoB
06-18-2014, 08:06 AM
The festival itself has begun. I'm not sure what kind of kicking off you mean, but there are a lot of people who have suggested they are going to come up to shion and myself but none of them have yet which has left me a bit tied down. Perhaps I'll just have to have the soldiers storm the place before they get the chance.

Miss Mae
06-18-2014, 08:14 AM
There's little evidence of the festival having started, what with us all in various bars. Once I get through some of these writing projects I might try and get Tala and I out of the inn and into the fray. That might prompt some others to get a bit more actively involved in the festivities that are supposed to be occurring.

Loony BoB
06-18-2014, 08:18 AM
http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156024-Official-Story-Enter-Sedorra?p=3413589#post3413589

loud trumpets from all around the city powered a noise through the air. With many still finishing their meals, it seemed that the festival was officially beginning.
Pretty much all of that post was declaring that the festival was officially in full swing. xD It just seems people were very reluctant to go outside into the midst of it all, so shion and I had to instead 'escape' to a bar to get closer to more characters.

You people clearly love your booze waaaay too much. :D

Miss Mae
06-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Not saying it wasn't declared - just saying no one seems to be doing much about it. Like I said, when I post next I might try and get moving out into it and see if that prompts anyone to follow.

Citizen Bleys
06-18-2014, 01:48 PM
The festival itself has begun. I'm not sure what kind of kicking off you mean, but there are a lot of people who have suggested they are going to come up to shion and myself but none of them have yet which has left me a bit tied down. Perhaps I'll just have to have the soldiers storm the place before they get the chance.

None?

*Devore*
06-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Loony, Citizen Bleys sat his character at your table, I was going to join you both once you had at least acknowledged each other.

Could do with some event that drives us or I could go start some drama.

Loony BoB
06-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I have no idea how I completely missed that post. x_x

Formalhaut
06-18-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm sort of nervous of about moving the story on, because I wouldn't want change something too story-changing.

In my head, this is how I am foreseeing my character's (Locke) storyline. Only read the spoiler if you want to:

Basically, I want the queen dead.

So far, Kathvi and the other characters are intertwined together in that bar, or near it anyway. Either later that evening or tomorrow, I'm envisioning the Queen will give a speech of solidarity to calm the Lucrecian populace down. Locke will attend this speech, partly to hear what the hell is going on, but also to see his mother for the first time in several years since leaving the Royal Household. During this speech, the Queen is assassinated. Frankly, I don't know who yet, but the fact that the queen is killed will be enough to cause people to be highly suspicious of outsiders and anyone who looks out of place, making Lucrecia more hostile towards the outsiders (and even those who aren't but just look funny).

Locke will be highly shaken that his mother is dead, and... that's about it in terms of my formulation. But this will take up several chapters of Locke's storyline.

It has the added benefit of making Lucrecia less of a clustering point in Sedorra. I love that lots and lots of people are there, but there's still all of Sedorra left to explore and my thinking is that by killing the queen (again, I would leave who actually kills her a mystery, unless it actually was a named character), Lucrecia will be more hostile and more unsafe, and basically just to stir things up.

That's my thinking of it. If it is too story-changing, I'm happy for Locke to go with the flow, but I really think that killing the queen at her own festival will seriously spice up the story in a not unbelievable way. It merely capitalizes on the unrest already caused by Kathvi and her ice magic.

By the way, I'm on holiday in Switzerland with the boyfriend so I may not be able to post anything to the story until Monday. Sorry!

*Devore*
06-18-2014, 08:26 PM
When I said I wanted to start some drama I totally had that person dying in mind as well. I was thinking about making a new character and doing it but wasn't sure if that would mess up the GMs' over arcing story.

Miss Mae
06-19-2014, 07:42 AM
This is a pretty cool idea - don't know how the GMs feel about it though since I've no idea what their planned story arc is for Sedorra at the moment. Also don't know who would get to decide the true motive and/or perpetrator. Also probably the GMs. Worth thinking about though.

Citizen Bleys
06-21-2014, 04:34 PM
We don't really have a planned story arc.

EDIT: Although we've been meaning to drive a story based on disparate reactions to the existence of Outworlders, from those who view them with hostility to those who think they're gods.

Well, I've been aiming to shoehorn Desmond in as a primary villain/evil emperor character, but it's not too late to shift back to the either-redemption-story-or-tragedy idea that I had when I came up with the character initially.

Miss Mae
06-22-2014, 02:27 AM
Yeah I'm definitely keen for there to be an antagonist.

Loony BoB
06-22-2014, 12:31 PM
For what it's worth, I am happy for people to control my characters to quite a considerable degree for the next ten or so days while I'm on vacation as I don't know if I'll have the time. Ensure you read their profiles. The one I feel has the most potential is probably the commander, so be sure to keep him from being "evil" (although I don't mind if he does things with good intentions which, unknown to him, are not so good). The other two - the soldier/guard that met shion's character and the Akim who is with shion's character - are both fair game for anything right now so I don't mind if you guys push on using them.

Citizen Bleys
06-23-2014, 02:54 AM
Methinks, an the Queen be mark'd to die, the killer should be an outworlder. That would stir up some excellent tensions.

EDIT: I should hasten to add, any martial/military situation would make it easier to write my transition into a villain. As matters stand, I'm pushing it as far as I'm comfortable doing, and even then only by writing a bit of wrong into Des's beliefs (eg. No, he will never have claws over a foot long, that would be barking mad)

*Devore*
06-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Ok, I'll get this thing started up again later today. Those in Lucrecia, can you please make your way to King's Square by...lets say Friday if you want your character there for the main antagonists arrival.

Those not is Lucrecia, I'll read through your stories and a get you intertwined in some aspect.
In regards to Bobs characters, I'll take control of the Commander as I have things in mind for him. The other two can be controlled by everyone whenever. Citizen Bleys, now's your chance to have a conversation with Bobs Akim and Shions outworlder.

Kossage
06-24-2014, 01:03 AM
And I'm doing my best to catch up now that work's no longer so hectic now that our Midsummer festivities are over. You guys sure have written a lot; it's been interesting reading the posts I've seen so far. :)

Miss Mae
06-24-2014, 03:20 AM
I'm still waiting on Jiro and/or Alayna! :)
Sorry Jinx - I just have literally no idea where to take us now that we've chatted and decided we're gonna bro it out. That's why I was waiting for some festivities. Now that there's things happening in King's Square though, should I write about us eating our food, chatting a little and then making our way to the action?

Miss Mae
06-24-2014, 03:42 AM
Good idea! :) You can discuss things with Jiro and sort of write him out however. xD
I will get onto this as soon as I finish writing this book review that's due... basically now.

Miss Mae
06-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Alternative plan: Use the roleplay to procrastinate the review that I still haven't finished. :erm: Posted for you Jinx dear, so reply to that whenever you feel the need. :jess:

Araciel
06-26-2014, 01:48 AM
..And now to catch up..

Or should I insulate myself and not look back...

*Devore*
06-26-2014, 02:40 AM
No need to try and catch up, just a post or two about your what your character is doing and experiencing during the queens festival is fine. Your characters, or character if you choose to only use one, does not need to start in kings square but somewhere nearby would be nice.

Formalhaut
06-26-2014, 02:21 PM
So looking forward to what is going to happen in King's Square :D

*Devore*
06-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Come on people, some interaction from you guys would be nice. :b

Formalhaut
06-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Hang on hang on! :p

Citizen Bleys
06-30-2014, 02:50 AM
I'm still waiting on some response from either BoB or shion, but you have a character in the right place, you could interject.

I'm actually really eager to complete Desmond's transformation. Even if it does mean his magic will take a back seat in terms of his motivations and character development.

Pumpkin
06-30-2014, 03:32 AM
Sorry I am way behind on this, I'll see if I can catch up tomorrow, but I unfortunately can't make any promises

Loony BoB
06-30-2014, 05:38 AM
I should hopefully be back and recovered from my travels in around 48 or so hours, but I'm not sure how busy I'll be with work and/or irl stuff. Bleys, you can definitely control my character in that situation - I have no real use for him apart from being vaguely useful in moving the plot forward and getting characters interacting, so I'm happy for you to use him with similar intentions.

*Devore*
07-01-2014, 02:04 AM
Bleys, you definitely should have controlled Bobs character.

If you are an outworlder, no matter what your current location is, you current have a spirit hovering over you.

Værn
07-01-2014, 07:55 AM
If you are an outworlder, no matter what your current location is, you current have a spirit hovering over you. Is the spirit doing anything? Or is it just floating there?

*Devore*
07-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Just floating there.

*Devore*
07-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Temporarily in charge, I guess :/ , until Bob is back, which is sometime real soon. But at the moment I felt like all the outworlds were just wandering around by themselves without a purpose. So the spirits would reveal them all and give them little choice but to band together.

Then after that, maybe the homeworlders could go hunt them down.

But I never saw this RP as a dictatorship, everyones characters are free to walk down their own path and the story will adapt to them.

Loony BoB
07-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Given how much of an impact that would have on pretty much everything going on, I think that kind of decision should still be discussed with the other GMs before it is established as something 'definite', so let's not jump to such decisions yet.

On a sidenote, I'm back in Edinburgh and am recovering from my travels, but I hope to post at some point in the next day or two.

EDIT: Sorry Devore, but you need to rely on the GM's for anything like this. ^^; I've had to soft-delete your most recent post in the RP. Up 'til that point it was all fine! Please note that any "game-changing" plans on that scope will need to be detailed to a GM prior to posting. I'll probably edit your post so just the first half of it remains while the second half will be replaced after a quick discussion with the GMs. Good intentions, I'm sure, but such dramatic changes that it is in contradiction with decisions made by the GMs earlier on about certain 'rules' we have agreed to go with for the time being. :shobon:

*Devore*
07-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Alright, maybe I overstepped my bounds. :b But the story does need a little push.

Although I should say that the story isn't the issue, it the lack of posts. It's the bane of all RPs unfortunately.

Loony BoB
07-02-2014, 12:48 PM
No worries mate - we're looking to make a good, strong post to push things forward.

Citizen Bleys
07-05-2014, 03:20 AM
Update: It shouldn't be too much longer now; Devore's been made a GM and we're just ironing out a few wrinkles.