PDA

View Full Version : Quickly! Help decide the native races of Sedorra!

Loony BoB
04-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Now, naturally people will have a variety of races as Outworlders, but they will be arriving alone (unless they happened to be holding the hand of someone at the time they "left" their world of origin). So, that means they're on their own. With this in mind, and for the sake of potential plotlines, I'd like for two races to live alongside humans within Sedorra. And this thread is where you should all jump in and tell us what races you feel should be in it!

Now, I know some people have expressed concern about this world being too FF-y, while others would like it to be quite FF-y. My advice would be to try to find a good balance - elves and dwarves, for example, are both within FF worlds and other fantasy worlds, and are easy enough for anyone to RP. However, if you are more interested in moogles, Ronso, Shumi or otherwise, feel free to make your voice known... you never know if people will warm to an idea unless you mention it!

We'll try to get two relatively different races in, whatever we do. :)

Loony BoB
04-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Personally, I don't mind mild (mild!) touches of FF, but I wouldn't want this to turn into a massive FF thing. I like the idea of us creating new things.

I'd like for Dwarves and Elves to be the races, but would also love for the Shumi to appear so I wouldn't be against that (I've always felt they are the most underrated and interesting race in FF history).

Araciel
04-26-2014, 11:35 PM
I still vote indigenous to be humans only but if it's down to a choice - old classic elves and dwarfses is okay

Ayen
04-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Goblins and Orcs. I'm serious. Goblins and Orcs are always used as enemies, why not have them be intelligible and allies this time around? Make the elves and dwarves the bad guys for a change.

Or a blue and white feline creature that through the years evolved to walk on two feet and are capable of manipulating ice as an innate ability.

Araciel
04-26-2014, 11:38 PM
I guess it could come down to how unconventional we want this world to be :D the offworlders already puts a huge curve on that so I'm really okay with anything

Ayen
04-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Are they? Shows you how much I know. lol.

Araciel
04-26-2014, 11:51 PM
In Tolkien they are almost exactly the same save for some ecological distinctions. In D&D etc they are pretty different but then there are subraces within each that vary wildly as well.

I think on the surface, two bestial races with Grey to green skin and such is a bit close if there are only 3 main ones.

Araciel
04-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Yes that

Edit: high five

Loony BoB
04-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Whatever happens, I do feel these races should be severely outnumbered by humans. Sort of like how in many FF games, you'll find an island or mountain inhabited by a different race which are rarely seen elsewhere throughout the globe. I just think it makes for a nice change without being overly intrusive (which is why Elves/Dwarves suit me - they're both very human-like). I'm also fond of the idea of leather/snake-skinned humans that live in deserts.

Ayen
04-27-2014, 12:01 AM
The poor ignorant outworlder, joining the elves thinking they're the good guys and killing a bunch of ugly goblins they deem the villains, only to find out later that the elves are the villains and they just killed a bunch of innocent people.

OH THE HUMANITY!

Edit: Quit posting before I can finish my posts, GAWD!

Agent Proto
04-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Can there be aquatic race, similar to the Zoras, that resides within the bodies of water? There could be two kinds, freshwater Zoras and seawater Zoras. Freshwater would be the more peaceful and the seawater would be warlike.

Madonna
04-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Araciel suggested humans be the only indigenous race on Sedorra, but we can have two races along with humans while having humans as the indegenous, because the two races are Outworlder races who settled here x years/ages ago.

If people wanted Goblins and Orcs, I think mixing it up and having civilized Orgres. They are giant, but not too giant, their architecture can be large, imposing, and solid, and since they have lasted as long as they have since moving to Sedorra, they are plenty cultured enough to govern, run an economy, have religions, and pretty much anything humans do, but a bit larger. This size can be a chafing point if we were looking for one, since large humanoids require more food, more land, need larger armor/weapons/tools, and the like. If we were looking for a sea-focused race, these Ogres could be seafarers who run massive ships because they are always in search of sustainable supplies and do not want to use up all of Sedorra's natural resources at the human's and x's expense.

While I like Moogles, I cannot serious suggest we have 15-foot tall creatures and then 3-foot tall ones. I would look for something contrasting, but not entirely opposite to the idea of Ogre.

Loony BoB
04-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Araciel suggested humans be the only indigenous race on Sedorra, but we can have two races along with humans while having humans as the indegenous, because the two races are Outworlder races who settled here x years/ages ago.
This could be a possibility, but not a confirmed thing... I want the appearance of Outworlders to be a huge shock to the peoples of Sedorra, as this will be something completely and 100% unheard of.

The idea of ogres is an interesting one as an alternative mountain-dwelling option to that of Dwarves. As I'd like for the two new races to be "out of the way" kind of races that are not high in population in this world, ogres could work well. The large size could mean that they are fewer in population as a direct result of their high food intake. Essentially larger races are generally fewer due to the nature of not having as much food available to feed a huge population.

Pumpkin
04-27-2014, 12:26 AM
I would like a feline or canine race similar to the Kobolds and Nay-Kobolds of Suikoden, and I think the Zora type Proto suggested is also a good idea.

Nicolas
04-27-2014, 12:33 AM
This'll be a strange suggestion, but I'm going with it anyway.

Why not a race based on bears. They could dwell in just about any area, with sizes ranging from small to giant. Larger ones being muscular, hunters/warriors or slow, pious grazers. The smaller ones might be more suited as traders, scholars, and whatnot. Versatile in looks as well as skills.

I'd prefer them over the Goblin/Orc in the same capacity since I feel those races are a tad played out. Either that or the go to Druid-style race.

Also, sorry. It seems hard for me to get out what is in my head and describe more intelligibly.

Pumpkin
04-27-2014, 12:37 AM
I think the bear suggestions is actually a very good one

Chibi Youkai
04-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Second on the centaurs. That is a truly awesome idea, Jinx.

Jiro
04-27-2014, 01:29 AM
I can get behind bears.

Loony BoB
04-27-2014, 01:38 AM
I don't like [animal]-people (I mean by name, not actually by race). Come up with a good name for these fur-skinned ogres. xD

Agent Proto
04-27-2014, 01:44 AM
Name them Ursarians.

Lonely Paper Star
04-27-2014, 01:45 AM
Posting because a bear race sounds splendid. ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Ayen
04-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Look up what bear translate to in Latin. Latin is an awesome language to go to when you want to make dull words sound awesome.

Ayen
04-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Late suggestion is late.

I like that name, too.

Mercen-X
04-27-2014, 06:41 AM
I had created a race of animal people I referred to as Lynicians. Of course, only outsiders call them that. There are so many races within the Lynician species that the term is fairly racist.

Skyblade
04-27-2014, 07:32 AM
I like the Ursis idea as well. I vote for that.

The sooner we can nail down the extra races, the sooner I can get enough of a grasp of the world to build my character.

Lonely Paper Star
04-27-2014, 10:56 AM
I'd like a more concrete definition of the Ursus race (is that what we're calling them? Officially?) so that I understand what exactly they are. They're like the Golden Compass bears, yeah? ;o

Anyway...

I see that the suggested races so far are:

- Bear race
- Nagas/Mermaids/Zora
- Elves
- Dwarves
- Ogres
- Shumi-like race
- Ronso-like race
- (not actually evil) Goblins and/or Orcs
- a feline and/or canine race
- Centaurs
- Moogles
- Kobolds
- Snakeskinned humanoids who live in the desert

Did I miss anything?

If anyone has anymore ideas, go for it.

Madonna
04-27-2014, 11:01 PM
From chat:
< MDNA > PaperSTar, just go with community-driven nomad Moogles who ride speedy donkeys everywhere, and as a side effect, developed a courier/mail system
< MDNA > Give Moogles horns, so they are like mini-Ronsos, and we have knocked out another race
< MDNA > While the idea of techy moogles and merchants/shopkeeps are explored ideas, I always keep coming back to FFVI, where they were these adorable things armed polearms, knives, swords, and other weapons who attack humans who are mining into their mountain
< MDNA > So I imagine tiny cute balls of fluffy who swarm larger targets, pelting them with arrows, stones, and moving in with other weapons to finish the job
< MDNA > Group-based hunter/gatherers
< MDNA > Their postal service is an example of them making money off other races and city-fied Moogles

Sephiroth
04-28-2014, 02:19 AM
- Humans
- Elves
- Dwarves
- Anuseth (dog-people, can probably shapeshift)
- Felinyans (cat-humans, can probably shapeshift)
- Angelic beings
- Demonic beings (not all of the must be necessarily bad in person though); Vampires, Succubi, Inccubi (can probably shapeshift)
- Harpies
- Reptilians (Lizardmen, Dragonmen who can shapeshift, Lamias, et cetera)
- Insectians/Spider-humans (Bees, Spiders, etc.)
- Zoras
- Cyborgs - no race but modified beings, also maybe an actual robotic "race" though, probably a real (real as a living individual) existence, an artificial intelligence
- Me

Jiro
04-28-2014, 03:17 AM
Once again reiterating my love for the idea of a bear-like race in the same vein that Jinx has suggested. Being able to have varying races (arctic, forest, mountain, desert, etc) and give them variation is awesome. Also, can you imagine how cool it would be for BoB the Jaguar to interact with these other creatures?

blackmage_nuke
04-28-2014, 09:06 PM
I think you need a race of fliers so either giant eagles or people with wings but not necessarily feathery wings. Maybe bat wings or the Soren wings from Legend of Legaia. Though a race that can bypass terrain easily have a strong advantage so theyd need major nerfs in other areas

I also like the bear idea.

Sephiroth
04-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Insectians:

The dress and bra is part of the body, The bra is chitin, the dress is normal "fur".
http://www7.pic-upload.de/28.04.14/1wbnvll1zmu8.jpg

Depression Moon
04-28-2014, 10:33 PM
I wish it was more FF based, but I would love a Sphinx or Griffin race. That would be dope!

Loony BoB
04-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! The GMs have agreed on the following races... we've fleshed them out a little but I'm sure imagination can develop them further over time!

http://home.eyesonff.com/sedorra-official-eoff-rp/156060-sedorra-native-races-animals.html#post3402967