PDA

View Full Version : Cheap fun games

Pumpkin
04-28-2014, 12:38 AM
So I have a few extra dollars and wanted to try out some new games. One of the ones I'm going to try is Metropolismania 2.

Can you recommend me some affordable ($20-25 or less) video games that are fun to play?

Ayen
04-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Dust: An Elysian Tail on Steam is only 14 dollars and plays like an RPG that could go for 40.

Pike
04-28-2014, 12:55 AM
oh god

like everything on GOG.com

Miss Mae
04-28-2014, 03:00 AM
The other day I bought a little Steam game called The Promised Land for under $5. I've gotten a lot more value out of that than I thought I would. It has some cute little minigame elements and whatnot.

For a little more ($15~) I can't recommend Bastion highly enough.

I Took the Red Pill
04-28-2014, 04:54 AM
The Binding of Isaac should be available on Steam for a few bucks. I picked it up during a sale about 2 years ago for $0.75. I have sunk over 50 hours into it. I'm a sucker for procedurally generated game design...if you can dig it too, the game won't disappoint.

Pumpkin
04-28-2014, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look in to them :jess:

Ayen
04-28-2014, 04:59 AM
If you're unsure about Dust after looking it up feel free to prod my inbox. I can link you to a review I did of the game last January.

While we're at it do you like dungeon crawlers or business simulators at all?

Pumpkin
04-28-2014, 05:05 AM
I like simulators. I like some dungeon crawlers but Im more in a sim mood if you can recommend those.

Miss Mae
04-28-2014, 05:30 AM
The Promised Land is a sim. :) Basically you control villagers, build things and manage resources, and the mini games are great little breaks (one is like Angry Birds and another is a puzzle where you have to rearrange the rooms inside house).

Ayen
04-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Then I also recommend Game Dev Tycoon (http://www.greenheartgames.com/app/game-dev-tycoon/). I believe you read my review of it already. It's a fun business simulator that is CRAZY addicting and is only ten bucks if you buy the full game. But it also has a free demo you can try too.

I spent so many hours on this thing it's not even funny.

Nicolas
04-28-2014, 05:42 AM
check out the humble bundles from time to time.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

the current weekly has some good games and $6 get you all of them, it looks like. some of the best ways to get games.

like pike said too. gog.com is a great place for games.

off topic: this makes me think we should also have a deals thread/forum in which deals are listed to alert people.

Bolivar
04-28-2014, 02:12 PM
We're entering a golden age of free to play games. If you can run them, definitely check out Path of Exile, Blacklight Retribution and Dota 2.

Dat Matt
04-28-2014, 10:22 PM
I spent a lot of time playing League of Legends and Team Fortress 2 as a student because I didn't want to spend any money on games (bar a few like FF13-2 and Skyward Sword).

I also got Rollercoaster Tycoon off GOG for like $5 or something stupidly cheap. I find building a themepark pretty fun.

AssassinDX
04-29-2014, 11:02 AM
I like simulators. I like some dungeon crawlers but Im more in a sim mood if you can recommend those.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 goes on sale on Steam quite regularly, as do 1 and 2 on GOG (Good Old Games).

If you don't mind splashing out a little more money I highly recommend Prison Architect, it's still in alpha but the developers pump out monthly updates that always add something new. I've put 60 hours into it or more, which for a game that hasn't even technically been released yet is very good bang for your buck.

Kalevala
05-01-2014, 05:13 AM
The humble bundles are a godsend. I'm glad they've branched out and now offer bundles more consistently. I remember when they were merely an annual event and waiting all year for an email announcing the new batch.