PDA

View Full Version : The Gold Saucer

Ayen
04-28-2014, 10:51 AM
How did you like the Gold Saucer?

As much as I hate to say it, I didn't care for it as much this time around. It used to be one of my favorite parts of the game, too. But this time it was just blah. I still love the minigames they provide through an arcade scenery since I always thought that was clever, I'm just crap at all of them and can never get any GP to fully enjoy my experience there. And needing GP to save the game REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS!

I still have fun on the date scenes, though.

Bubba
04-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Yeah, the Gold Saucer has become a bit tiresome for me after all my playthroughs. I think it's down to spending hours racing chocobos and trying to get W-Summon, Omnislash and Final Attack from the Battle Arena.

Chocobo breeding is the best way to get GP from the Gold Saucer though. Once you breed Green/Black/Gold you can pretty much win every race. After collecting all the unique items from winning races, any duplicates you get you can just ask for the GP and some of those are worth 300-500 GP per race.

On my first trip to Gold Saucer, I always purchase a day ticket for 3000 gil then head over to Wonder Square. If you ace the Super Dunk basketball game (200 gil per turn) it gives you 300GP which you can then use to purchase a lifetime ticket from the GP lady.

Jiro
04-28-2014, 12:50 PM
30k ain't too much to drop on a lifetime ticket if you fight a few battles outside Corel. The Gold Saucer is an interesting anachronistic place; doesn't seem to make sense that a theme park could exist in a world where most people are on the cusp of poverty or absolute fucking miles away from it and without viable transport.

I don't mind it though. It does some interesting things. But mostly it just seems like a convenient dressing for some minigames. Still, I like how they worked the Desert Prison and other plot related things into it.

MJN SEIFER
04-28-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm not there yet, but I have a strong feeling I'll still love it. I've been playing this game a long time now, and the Gold Saucer has always been one of my favorite places - it's basically a good place to just take a break for a while between missions.

That said, I haven't really tried getting all the important prizes though (and will probably have to on my next playthrough).

Sephex
04-30-2014, 05:33 AM
I'll admit the Gold Saucer hasn't aged well, but I still enjoy tinkering with the mini games, as simple as they are. I like how the game creatively makes some of the arcade games the action sequences the player did in the actual story mission.

Mercen-X
04-30-2014, 09:03 AM
On my first trip to Gold Saucer, I always purchase a day ticket for 3000 gil then head over to Wonder Square. If you ace the Super Dunk basketball game (200 gil per turn) it gives you 300GP which you can then use to purchase a lifetime ticket from the GP lady.This was NOT carefully worded.

Bubba
04-30-2014, 10:07 AM
On my first trip to Gold Saucer, I always purchase a day ticket for 3000 gil then head over to Wonder Square. If you ace the Super Dunk basketball game (200 gil per turn) it gives you 300GP which you can then use to purchase a lifetime ticket from the GP lady.This was NOT carefully worded.

Je ne comprends pas?

Mercen-X
04-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Je m'appelle Marshall.

Formalhaut
04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
I like it, but I'm never very good with mini games. For example, that Super Dunk game was irritating. I could never do well in it. Also, that Speed Roller Coaster thing. You had to get 5000(?) points to get the top prize, which in Disc One is missable. It was the Umbrella for Aerith and even though it is pretty redundant, I'm quite the completionist and made sure I got it.

The number of times I had to keep looping round that roller coaster... to make it worse, gaining GP in Disc One is tricky, at best.

Jiro
05-01-2014, 03:00 AM
My favourite way to gain GP is the motorbike because I suck at everything else. Even the super dunk I have only aced once or twice.

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 03:04 AM
I hated it. Hated every single second of it. So I made sharky play it for me.

Bubba
05-01-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't know, I kind of had a knack for the Super Dunk. You only need to hold down O for one second. I just exaggerate my thumb presses and you just get into a rhythm with it. It's only 200 gil per game and I generally never need more than five games to get to 300 GP.

I always play through the Mog game as well for an easy 30GP!

MJN SEIFER
05-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I often replay G-Bike and Snow Game (I think) when I go there, but rarely bother replaying Submarine Game, as I didn't really care about the real version. Mog House is cute, and fun to do at times just to relax a bit, but obviously once it's completed there's no rush to do it again (It's often the first thing I do as you get 30GP for it). I suck at Super Dunk, but I'll see if I can try Bubba's method next time. I usually tend to end on the afro guy in 3D Battle, but I think I might have gotten to the guy after him (I have seen how it ends on YouTube though).

Chocobo Racing is fun to do, even though I'm not the best at it yet (I've actually not really done the whole chocobo thing yet), but sometimes I'm actually cool with just betting on it as the design of the track is very beautiful in my opinion.

I love playing the Speed Square too, I'm sure most people know this, but you stand a better chance if you press circle rappidly rather than hold it down so you can keep your power level high, which comes in handy when you get to the UFO. Eitherway, it's a fun way to chill out and have fun for me.

Everything else is what it is, but the Round Square is nice during the date scene. :love:

Jinx
05-05-2014, 02:22 AM
There's only one good part of Gold Saucer and that's Mog House.

I do like the Halloween-themed hotel, but GODDAMN GP

Psychotic
05-05-2014, 07:32 AM
I bloody love the Golden Saucer. Always got to have a few last bashes on the Chocobo and Speed Squares before heading off to pop Sephiroth.

Parker
05-05-2014, 11:34 AM
I liked it but I didn't spend a huge amount of time there. The music was fitting but oh man was it grating.

Jiro
05-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I bloody love the Golden Saucer. Always got to have a few last bashes on the Chocobo and Speed Squares before heading off to pop Sephiroth.

Yeah, actually, this is my ritual too. It seems to make sense in a "relax before the big game" kind of way, even if it doesn't make sense from a "world is ending" point of view.

Kalevala
05-06-2014, 01:39 AM
Overbearing music, bright colours, too many things going on at once, the entire area is an over-stimulation nightmare. I can't stand it.

Ayen
05-06-2014, 01:46 AM
There's only one good part of Gold Saucer and that's Mog House.

The sad music that plays when Mog messes up his flight. I JUST CAN'T!