PDA

View Full Version : Sphere Break - Neat Minigame or Frustrating Time-Waster?

Karifean
04-29-2014, 11:44 PM
What did you think of Sphere Break? Was it enjoyable? Too hard? Too easy? Or just annoying tedium?

Jinx
04-30-2014, 12:03 AM
It could be incredibly difficult. Never have beaten Shinra. But I actually enjoy this game a LOT. Which is rare for me with FF mini games (other that Chocobo Hot & Cold).

Mirage
04-30-2014, 12:07 AM
I actually really like sphere break. Being good at arithmetics is something I find useful, and this game increases my ability to do them quickly.

Jiro
04-30-2014, 03:15 AM
I can't remember the game that well but I do remember loving it and enjoying the challenge.

Pumpkin
04-30-2014, 03:29 AM
I don't like it but I'm surprisingly good at it. I've never had a hard time beating Shinra.

The key is the Echo Bonus. THE ECHO BONUS

Karifean
04-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Surprised at the amount of positivity in this topic. I was under the (apparently false) impression that Sphere Break was rather disliked.

Formalhaut
04-30-2014, 02:04 PM
If you have a crippling disability to numbers, Sphere Break is literally my worst nightmare. I did manage to win against Shinra once, after having to reload it several times because I kept losing. I wouldn't mind so much if a dressphere wasn't on the line. I want to like, because to say that I dislike it would make me appear like some math hating dunderhead, but I just simply cannot play it.

black orb
04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
>>> I hate it, I hate arithmetics, I hate numbers, I hate it!, is the worst abomination ever..:luca:

DMKA
05-01-2014, 04:53 AM
I remember finding it extremely hard years ago. However now I'm not so bad at it. It only took me like three tries to beat Shinra this time around.

It's a pretty fun mini game as long as I don't challenge anyone above a three star difficulty. :p

Karifean
05-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Personally I think it's a really neat minigame. For the most part, it's pretty simple although there's also the element of making your coins as valuable as possible, and getting items or GGs on the side.

They did a pretty bad job balancing the echos though.

Coin Count Echos are rather well-made for the most part. They give more quota the more coins you use but the more coins you use, the less you will have available later on. Interesting balance, but they suffer from one huge problem, and that is that a 1 in the center breaks your echo without you being able to do ANYTHING about that. When I challenged Varan, the 1s became my mortal enemy. 500 quota in just 30 turns, if there's a few 1s spread out too well you can just give up right there.

Multiplier Echos on the other hand are ridiculously good. They completely trivialize all challenge Sphere Break might've had. You can always make sure your chain never breaks, and as long as it doesn't, it will rise to absurd values to the point where you can get immense quota with just one core break. 600 quota in 30 turns? Easy, I finished with 750 in just 25 turns.

Mirage
05-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I remember finding it extremely hard years ago. However now I'm not so bad at it. It only took me like three tries to beat Shinra this time around.

It's a pretty fun mini game as long as I don't challenge anyone above a three star difficulty. :p

For me it's the opposite. I first played it when I was like 19-20 or something and i completely destroyed it. Now, at 29, I am getting my hand assed to me even by the tutorial guy :(. I want to believe that I am just out of shape and that I can get back to my former glory.

metagloria
05-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Huge fan of it. I've always loved numbers and number games.

Loony BoB
05-01-2014, 04:38 PM
My eyes are all blurred over from dealing with tedious repetitive tasks in spreadsheets today, so I misread the thread title as "Spring Break - Neat Minigame or Frustrating Time-Waster?"

Still a valid and important question, though...

Vermachtnis
05-01-2014, 06:13 PM
I like it cause it gives you Lady Luck, which is one my favorite costumes. The game itself is pretty fun too.

Dat Matt
05-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I was pretty good an chaining the excho bonus. You could pretty much get anything you needed if you stuck with 2/3/4/5 as you coins.

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Whatever mini-game decides to take over from the Triple Triad, it better not be Sphere Break :p Though to be fair, it'd be difficult to because of the time limits.

dduran8804
05-02-2014, 02:45 AM
All you fuckers who voted "I Loved it!!" Are all NERDS!! (No offence :) Just pokin' fun) I never beaten it but I want perfect ending....nnnnnever gonna happen.

Mirage
05-02-2014, 12:07 PM
You could always try just sucking less :colbert:

Depression Moon
05-02-2014, 02:19 PM
That shit was hard. I could never beat Shinra so I could get the Lady Luck dressphere.

Neptunia
05-08-2014, 06:35 PM
A maths based mini-game? I don't like it, but then my maths is rubbish. a good idea in theory, but if it effects completion percentage it makes it stupid. after all not everyone can do that kinda thing. I think I got Lady luck from it once by re-matching Shinra later in game, took way to many attempts.

Ayen
06-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Never bothered with it. I don't even remember it.

qwertysaur
06-07-2014, 04:54 AM
I love sphere break. I also do calculus for fun so I might have some bias there. :p