PDA

View Full Version : Movie Making Crimes

blackmage_nuke
04-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/156035-game-design-crimes.html), what are some filming choices that irk you and should be banned from movies forever?

Personally I heavily dislike any action film that has a shaky camera any time something difficult to film occurs, particularly in fight scenes. (Eg Bourne series)
I also dont like it when the protagonist is the cause of the film's problem and when they fix it everyone loves them even though it was all their fault in the first place. I prefer what happens when an antagonist does the same thing and theyre all "yea I guess we sort of forgive you but were not going to throw you a parade"

Shiny
04-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Exposition (Looking at you Martin Scorsese)
Bad color correction (Looking at you Twilight)

Mercen-X
05-01-2014, 01:20 AM
Kubrick stares.

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 01:37 AM
I find the whole 'shaky cam' effect a tad old now. I appreciate it's in the interests of 'found footage' style films but it's hilarious when decades of camera technology and stability improvements are all to just have it shaking around like a madman.

Wolf Kanno
05-03-2014, 05:27 AM
Sequels that are rehashes of the original plot. 80s Sci-Fi and action films are some of the worst offenders but lord knows some comedies have done this as well.

Adding a love story into a movie that doesn't need it. Especially jarring when it is in a sequel and involves the two main love birds trying to rekindle their romance, I'm looking at you National Treasure 2.

Making sequels/prequels to 10+ year old films. You may have made a masterpiece decades ago but trying to recapture that magic after so long just seems like a fool's errand to me.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-03-2014, 10:23 AM
When authors/directors/whoever make a cameo in their own work. This doesn't bother me, but it's one I know people point out.

In Twilight when the camera pans to Stephenie Meyer ordering a veggie plate. Nothing suspends your disbelief like a scene that has nothing to do with anything.

Tarantino and M. Night Shyamalan appearing in their own movies.

Stan Lee gets a pass on this though, it's become a running gag you expect. Ties all the movies together and adds to the humor. :cool:

Jiro
05-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Tarantino has also appeared in like every film he's directed. I don't understand why that's not a running gag that's expected also. :gator:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Yep. Was waiting for this rebuttal. Got called out on that quickly.

As I said, I don't necessarily agree with my last post. It's just something I know people have pointed out.

Maybe people like Stan Lee cameos but not Tarantino's acting :gator: