PDA

View Full Version : Gimpshop

Pumpkin
04-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Gimpshop | The Free Photoshop Alternative (http://www.gimpshop.com/)

I can't afford photoshop. Has anyone heard of this or used it? Good/bad? Any help is much appreciated!

Mirage
04-30-2014, 11:01 PM
well it's free so why not just try it?

Also, I don't think most people that use photoshop here on eoff can actually afford it either

Pumpkin
04-30-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm weird about downloading and installing stuff on my computer because I have no common sense and download harmful things :(. I haven't heard of this before and I'm not sure if it's even any good or if it's something other people have had issues with or something like that.

Mirage
04-30-2014, 11:09 PM
If I'm not sure if something is safe, I usually ask google something like "is address.com safe?" :p

Pumpkin
04-30-2014, 11:10 PM
..........................I didn't know Google could do that

Mirage
04-30-2014, 11:13 PM
well, it's not google that is answering it for you, but you get search results for other people who have asked about the same question, and then you can read what they got as replies, and see if people are generally positive or negative towards it

Agent Proto
04-30-2014, 11:19 PM
I have heard of Gimpshop, and I have given it a shot. I liked it, since it's interface is very similar to Photoshop's, and if you know how to use Photoshop, you will be pretty familiar with Gimpshop.

Shorty
04-30-2014, 11:25 PM
I downloaded it once and uninstalled it for reasons I do not remember.

Arc_Master_14
04-30-2014, 11:42 PM
I've heard it's essentially gimp in a PhotoShop style layout. However taking a quick look it looks safe and a great comparable tool.

Dark_Valentine
04-30-2014, 11:47 PM
I haven't used gimpshop, but I found that gimp works just as good as photoshop and has about the same features. You can arrange the bars and windows to be more like photoshop as well.

Pike
05-01-2014, 12:13 AM
I have not used Gimpshop, I have used just Gimp though (for years, in fact), and I'm quite fond of it. That said, I have never actually used Photoshop, so I'm not sure how it compares!

Aulayna
05-01-2014, 12:28 AM

Also, I don't think most people that use photoshop here on eoff can actually afford it either

Photoshop has a subscription option now. ^^

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 02:50 AM
I use GIMP, but I can't use it very well because I can't use Photoshop very well either :p I used GIMP to create my Podrick set. For a rank beginner like me, it isn't exactly user-friendly but it is pretty powerful. I can just about use the basic parts of it.

Depression Moon
05-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Is this like the upgraded version of GIMP?

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 03:32 AM
Well it seems from the all mighty Internet search that gimpshop is not GIMP and that GIMP is more reliable, so I'm going to download GIMP instead. I'll see how it goes.

EDIT:

Also found this, so I'm giving myself some lessons.
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Psychotic
05-01-2014, 10:13 AM
You can get CS2 Photoshop for free from Adobe: http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/153483-free-stuff.html

It's an older version but I think it's fantastic.

Mirage
05-01-2014, 05:17 PM
CS2 is a solid version. Also probably performs better on older computers than CS6

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 05:18 PM
You can get CS2 Photoshop for free from Adobe: http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/153483-free-stuff.html

It's an older version but I think it's fantastic.

I tried that when the thread was first up and it didn't work D:

Psychotic
05-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Weird. Works for me on both my 10 year old XP laptop and my brand spanking new 8.1 laptop :shobon: What was the problem?

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure. I made an account and tried the download or install link or whatever it was and it just... didn't. I tried a few more times and it was the same thing.

Shiny
05-06-2014, 07:31 PM
You can always just download free trials of Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. They last 30 days. I think Photoshop might be hard to get a free trial of now because of their Creative Cloud thing, but worth a shot.

I actually have a bunch of CS4 discs too, so if you need me to mail one let me know. Mac or PC?

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2014, 02:33 PM
I havent used Gimpshop but I've used Photoshop and GIMP and while I think GIMP is pretty swish I keep going back to photoshop because Im too use to it. If I had familiarized myself with GIMP before PS I think I would love it.

Endless
05-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Academic discount ftw.

I'm not sure. I made an account and tried the download or install link or whatever it was and it just... didn't. I tried a few more times and it was the same thing.

If it's just the download not starting, I can grab it and mirror it for you.

Pumpkin
05-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I have GIMP downloaded now, so I should be fine :jess:

o_O
05-19-2014, 01:56 AM
I'm not really sure what the difference between GIMP and Gimpshop is meant to be. Also some research tells me that Gimpshop is old and out of date, so GIMP is the way to go.

GIMP has single window mode (which is amazing, turn it on immediately), which makes the interface almost identical to Photoshop anyway.

Pike
05-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Haha, I remember years and years ago when I first started using GIMP the lack of a single window mode bothered me but now I can't live without all those movable windows.

But then again I also seem to be one of the few people in the world who has never touched Photoshop!

Miss Mae
05-19-2014, 10:37 AM
I love Photoshop, but when I got my new laptop I was too lazy to get it again because my internet was crap, so I got GIMP instead. GIMP is more up to date than Gimpshop. Gimpshop was designed to look more like Photoshop, but as others have mentioned, GIMP now has a single windowed mode that works a treat.