PDA

View Full Version : This is how adults act!

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Were there any things you thought that basically all adults did that you find yourself not doing/enjoying as an adult?

I thought all adults drank coffee and wine and ate tiramisu. As an adult, I like none of those things and stick to chocolate milk, hot chocolate, and various other desserts.

Also writing in cursive. I never write in cursive. And when I was 4, I thought cursive was a series of e's and l's (meaning just a bunch of loops) and I thought there were no spaces in between words and I was incredibly confused as to how they know where one word ended and another began.

Arc_Master_14
05-01-2014, 07:23 AM
The only stuff I had ever seen my mother write as a child was her name, which was always this perfect cursive signature. I always thought that was how adults write things. Oh lord no. Every signature i write is essentially a load of scribbles that start with a B-shape then lengthen to the length of my name.

Shlup
05-01-2014, 07:54 AM
I actually do like writing in cursive and gardening and jogging and using a crock pot... I'll never like coffee though.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-01-2014, 08:59 AM
For some reason I thought I'd be wearing a tie.

I also thought making money would be a lot more enjoyable. Not the paying bills part. I knew that would suck. Work was seen as school for adults except you got paid to go.

I always pictured myself as Stu Pickles. While my kids were having adventures, I'd be the cool dad with the sweet outfit who made toys in the basement. Instead, i'm this version of him:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/9bSD7K11N-I/hqdefault.jpg

Chemical
05-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Pretty much the oppo of everything:
No job,
no mortgage,
still in Uni
No kids,
Which means I watch cartoons because I like them,
no serious relations,
no marriage,
no jackets with shoulder pads,
sex life intact,
lack of responsibility,
ability to easily relocate,
not in the same town I grew up in or the same continent or hemisphere for that matter
no need to shower shave clean or flush the toilet unless I actually want to,
I can have cereal and Baily's for breakfast and no one judges me except my two fighting fish but they live in vodka bottles so isn't that just calling the kettle black?

Anyways. I'm happy. Even if I am technically of the legal age.

Loony BoB
05-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Loadsamoney. What happened to that?

Jessweeee♪
05-01-2014, 05:08 PM
I thought I would be as physically strong as my dad :(

Shorty
05-01-2014, 05:23 PM
As a kid I didn't subscribe to the "throw our lives away and get married young and have lots of babies right away while we're young" thing, and I still don't now.

This is a good list (http://thoughtcatalog.com/johanna-de-silentio/2013/11/50-things-real-adults-do-that-i-dont-do/). I do not do many of these things.

Bubba
05-01-2014, 05:58 PM
As a kid I didn't subscribe to the "throw our lives away and get married young and have lots of babies right away while we're young" thing, and I still don't now.

Agreed. I'm in my early thirties and I have never been married, never had kids and never really felt the urge for any of this until quite recently.

I spent my twenties playing music, travelling all over the world, meeting people and generally having an awesome time. Not that raising kids isn't awesome, I'm really looking forward to it. I'll hopefully be a more world-wise parent when the time comes.

Shorty
05-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Ah, it's something I've always wanted, but I always knew I wanted to get busy living before doing any of that.

Dat Matt
05-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Loadsamoney. What happened to that?

I'm working on it. One day I'll be hyper rich you'll see!!

When I was a kid I assumed that all adults went to work, drunk coffee wore ties and came home. Adults weren't cool they just watched TV had a beer at the weekend and worked.

To be fair, my assumption hasn't changed much. I know I don't follow that trend, but the only thing the older women in my work talk about is the TV shows they watched and the weather. They are fucking boring people.

Jess
05-01-2014, 09:22 PM
I will forever hate coffee.

Psychotic
05-01-2014, 09:26 PM
I will forever hate coffee.My god yes, it is absolutely fucking rancid.

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm really so glad I'm not the only one who hates coffee. Whenever I tell people, they treat me like I just said I like kicking puppies and hate fun.

noxious.sunshine
05-01-2014, 09:38 PM
I've never wanted to be an adult.. I mean. It's pretty contradictory to my whole "I hated my teenage years" bit, but yeah.

But the way I was raised is a lot different than most.. My dad was a truck driver- as y'all know, and my mom always worked in factories until she started driving with my dad. I had absolutely no perception of what being a truly present responsible adult looks like. Sure, there was my sister, and she was responsible, but that bitch smoked pot regularly while giving me shit about it and kind of struggled with toeing the line of being my sister and being a "parent".

I don't like coffee. Or rather- I can't drink it. Heavily caffeinated things like that make me feel sick.

I actually love being able to support myself- I loved working 75 hours a week and having money not just to pay bills, but buy "high-end" groceries and alcohol every night and still have money for shopping & to put gas in my car. Knowing that I was doing it all on my own and couldn't nobody tell me -nothin'- was the best. I wish I could get back to that mindset and work ethic. I'm working on it. It's a struggle.

But aside from that, yeah. There's nothing that I thought was cool that I don't think isn't anymore. I mean. I was excited to be able to legally drink. And legally drinking in public still makes me excited. IDK why.

Chemical
05-01-2014, 11:57 PM
I will forever hate coffee.

Yes, and I especially get strange looks from the nurses I work with. I literally think they would set up caffeine drips on themselves if they could.

Arc_Master_14
05-02-2014, 12:37 AM
But..but... coffee is my life force. I love, love, love it, but you try to get any sort of energy drink in my body I will absolutely flip. Until like two years ago I thought it was rancid, but I was late for class and I didn't have time to wait for a white chocolate mocha.

G13
05-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Adults drive expensive cars and have high paying stress free jobs and drink coffee and have cocaine addictions and pay alimony. Adults are so cool!

Jiro
05-02-2014, 02:20 AM
yeah that whole being able to pay your bills thing is a pipe dream.

Raistlin
05-02-2014, 02:53 AM
During law school, I was treated as some sort of freak of nature for not liking coffee. I still hate it.

theundeadhero
05-02-2014, 03:44 AM
I could pretty much quote Bubba's post word for word.

Mercen-X
05-02-2014, 03:56 AM
No job,
no mortgage,
still in Uni
No kids,
Which means I watch cartoons because I like them,
no serious relations,
no marriage,
no jackets with shoulder pads,
no sex life intact,
lack of responsibility,
no ability to easily relocate,
not in the same town I grew up in and have at least left the country... once
no need to shower shave clean or flush the toilet unless I actually want to (that's disgusting)
I can have cereal and Baily's for breakfast and no one judges me

I'm content but not necessarily happy.

Jessweeee♪
05-02-2014, 04:01 AM
I was in second grade when I learned college was optional. I was like wat why would anybody want to go to school. I still don't want to go.

Calliope
05-02-2014, 06:10 AM
Being happy.

Shiny
05-02-2014, 07:05 AM
I thought having a car would be cool, but I don't see the necessity of it at this moment in my life. For me, it would just be an unnecessary payment.

Miss Mae
05-02-2014, 07:09 AM
I thought I'd be able to do whatever I wanted, like eat chocolate cake at midnight and never go to the dentist. Now eating at midnight makes me feel guilty and I just got back from my annual dentist visit. Sigh.

I also hate coffee.

Ayen
05-02-2014, 07:09 AM
I used to think that as an adult I'd like to wear suits, drink coffee, read the morning paper before work, and watch the news on TV. Now that I am an adult I don't like any of those things.

black orb
05-02-2014, 07:16 AM
>>> I thought I would look like this as an adult..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/build-muscle.jpg

It did not happen :cry:..:luca:

Kalevala
05-06-2014, 01:06 AM
My printing/handwriting still looks like that of child's. My signature looks horrible and I desperately want to change it, but then it wouldn't be consider my "signature." Poppycock!

But I do love coffee.

escobert
05-06-2014, 01:32 AM
I thought being an adult would mean I'd get fat and bold! But I'm the same size as high school and same amount of hair! :bigsmile:

~*~Celes~*~
05-06-2014, 03:46 AM
I thought I would go to college right after graduating high school, then get married after graduating college, then when I became a teacher, I was going to start a family. I was going to have a great fashion sense and be super pretty and thin, and have so many friends!

I'm a high school graduate who never went to college because I couldn't decide what to do, so I got a job instead. Now I'm still at that job almost 4 years later, married, and baby #2 is over halfway done cookin'.

Honestly the only things I wish we're different:

-I wish my husband had a better paying job so I wouldn't HAVE to work...but that's not as realistic as it used to be, sadly.

-I wish I were in better shape

Besides that I'm pretty happy with how things turned out :D

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-06-2014, 05:06 AM
I thought if you worked for a gaming company it was because you were interested in games and you wanted to work really hard for the people who care about your product.

Nope. Turns out some treat it as just another job with a steady check.

Colonel Angus
05-06-2014, 05:16 AM
I thought if you worked for a gaming company it was because you were interested in games and you wanted to work really hard for the people who care about your product.

Nope. Turns out some treat it as just another job with a steady check.
People become disenchanted w/ their jobs. I think a lot of people go into a job/career w/ a positive outlook. But, once you put up w/ the BS, the stupidity & the ineptitude of others, you just say "F-it" & just keep yourself busy until the end of the work day.

BTW, we should just make this an anti-coffee board. Unless it's a frappaccino/frape type thing, I won't drink the stuff.

Calliope
05-06-2014, 06:26 AM
I really, really thought that as an adult I would carry around a briefcase, or at least wear a beret. Where's my briefcase!? ;_;

Jiro
05-07-2014, 01:37 AM
I really, really thought that as an adult I would carry around a briefcase, or at least wear a beret. Where's my briefcase!? ;_;

Oh yeah, this. Briefcases were the shit and then suddenly nope I have no need for one.

Denmark
05-07-2014, 01:48 AM
coffee is best, tea is shit, fight me brits (or opinions are opinions and so they don't matter)

i actually think i'm pretty adult-y for my stage in life. my parents didn't have their first kid till they were 30 and my 31 year old brother is just about to have his first, and i'm only (almost) 26 so i don't have to do that yet. i'll get married and buy a house when it seems like the right time to do so. and i have a pretty good job. these are things i thought i'd have/do as an adult

Arc_Master_14
05-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Omg I used to associate briefcases with success as a child, now I feel like I'm the opposite of a success if I were to carry a regular one, because I wouldn't be doing what I wanted.

Wolf Kanno
05-07-2014, 06:40 AM
I've acted above my age for years, of anything I have to remind myself that I am not some cranky old man and instead pretty damn young. With the exception of coffee (which I love :love: ) I don't have much adult things in my life. I don't ever intend on getting married nor do I want children or even a house for that matter. I would like to move away from having jobs and finally have a career. I'd link to Chris Rocks wonderful explanation about the difference but it has vulgar language and some of you do have careers you would like to keep. To ummarize:

If you have a career, there is not enough time in the day.
If you have a job, there is too much time in the day.

I definitely thought I would be farther along right now in my life but I kind of took a detour due to some things and even now that I'm almost a week away from graduating with my BA (back to that detour thing) I still can't say I have the most solid plan for my future at this point but I definitely know what I don't want to be doing anymore.