PDA

View Full Version : Quistis Snapping At Rinoa

Forsaken Lover
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
So having Quistis in my party for important things has given me a lot more dialogue/characterization with her. As such, I have a new spin on the thing that makes most people infuriated with her.

The infamous "let's abandon my post and go apologize to Rinoa!!!" scene.

All her later, optional dialogue, when you take her into space, or with you to the Orphanage near the end of Disk 3, has her talking about how much she knows Rinoa means to Squall. Hell, even during the "we all grew up together" flashback she thinks/mumbles to herself that she had "given up" on Squall when Rinoa came around.

So I think the reason she bitched at Rinoa is not because Rinoa was acting stupid, but because she was jealous and saw Rinoa as a romantic rival. As such, even while she was fully justified in calling out Rinoa's idiocy, she did it for the wrong, petty and selfish reasons. Hence the guilt.

Thoughts?

Shorty
05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
I think it's a combination of both things - Rinoa acting stupid and Quistis' maternal instincts toward the group/as a teacher, but also because of romantic jealousy.

Had she not had that caring, bossy-type, authoritative-type personality, I do not know if she would have said such things to Rinoa.

Jinx
05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Rinoa is the worst. The end.

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Quistis is one of the characters in this game that had so much potential for being a really interesting character but some awful characterization choices weakens all of it.

I think you are onto something here but I still don't feel her "jeopardizing the mission to apologize" choice still feels like something a veteran SeeD would do. For me, this scene not only deteriorates her character for me but pretty much drives home the point that Nojima was not going to utilize the SeeD concept to it's fullest.

Jiro
05-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Quistis should not have left her post. Even if she was overwhelmed with guilt, Zell and Selphie had absolutely no reason to abandon their post, despite plot requirement.

maybee
05-05-2014, 01:56 PM
I think it was a mixture of both, because of her serious nature and her envy towards Rinoa.

I usually can't stand Quistis, though this part almost makes me like her character, because Rinoa was being really naive and not taking the mission seriously.

But then Quistis' guilt kicks in and then she leaves her post; making her a huge hypocrite.

Ayen
06-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Makes sense. I never really gave the scene much thought, and I find myself to be much happier for it.

Alive-Cat
06-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Silly Quistis, leaving her post. At times like that she really did annoy me.

Bubba
06-07-2014, 01:13 PM
She should have just sent her a text.

Mirage
06-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Quistis is one of the characters in this game that had so much potential for being a really interesting character but some awful characterization choices weakens all of it.

I think you are onto something here but I still don't feel her "jeopardizing the mission to apologize" choice still feels like something a veteran SeeD would do. For me, this scene not only deteriorates her character for me but pretty much drives home the point that Nojima was not going to utilize the SeeD concept to it's fullest.

Even if she is a "veteran" SeeD, she's still just 18 fucking years old :p. She's barely what you'd call a grown up, even if she tries hard to pretend like she is.

Wolf Kanno
06-08-2014, 01:07 AM

Even if she is a "veteran" SeeD, she's still just 18 smurfing years old :p. She's barely what you'd call a grown up, even if she tries hard to pretend like she is.

Age is a cop-out answer, she's been trained for several years to be able to fight on the field of battle and was recognized for her intelligence and skill to be promoted to SeeD at a younger age than most of the cast. This is not like she's cracking under pressure, this is her deciding to abandon the mission to apologize to some girl who honestly deserved the tongue lashing given to her. You don't abandon your post or mission for trivial trout like that. Age has nothing to do with stupidity, if raised in a certain environment even adolescents can be as focused as an adult.

Mirage
06-08-2014, 01:22 AM
she's still just a kid

Psychotic
06-08-2014, 10:12 AM
There's no justification for it. It was just a contrived excuse to get her to leave her post. Even explosive diarrhea would've been a better reason for doing so.

maybee
06-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Even if she is a "veteran" SeeD, she's still just 18 smurfing years old :p. She's barely what you'd call a grown up, even if she tries hard to pretend like she is.

Age is a cop-out answer, she's been trained for several years to be able to fight on the field of battle and was recognized for her intelligence and skill to be promoted to SeeD at a younger age than most of the cast. This is not like she's cracking under pressure, this is her deciding to abandon the mission to apologize to some girl who honestly deserved the tongue lashing given to her. You don't abandon your post or mission for trivial trout like that. Age has nothing to do with stupidity, if raised in a certain environment even adolescents can be as focused as an adult.

Thankyou

Quistis seemed to waste everything that was given to her in life; just because of one attractive teen boy.

MJN SEIFER
06-08-2014, 02:17 PM
To those who have said, I think that Rinoa was taking the mission seriously, it's more like they weren't taking Rinoa seriously. The whole thing was basically Rinoa coming up with an idea, which could have worked (if it had been discussed properly, the only thing wrong with it is that Edea apparently knew what the bangle was for, but there would be no way to know that), but the others, especially Quistis were basically all like "this has nothing to do with you, and you don't understand it, so shut up!"

Rinoa wasn't treating it like a game, they assumed she was, and assumed wrong. She had a genuine idea of how she could help them, that she knew was unfinished (i.e. she had no idea how she was going to get Edea to wear the bangle) so she came to the others with what she had so far, and hoped that they'd be able to come up with a complete idea of how to do it. She may even have been willing to begrudgingly accept the fact that she was not allowed to participate in the mission, and just handed the bangle to the others, and have them decide what to do with it, that way she still helps without actually being there. Had Quistis not (metaphorically) thrown it back in her face, Rinoa may never have needed to attempt it herself.

RPGamer
06-09-2014, 06:10 PM
To those who have said, I think that Rinoa was taking the mission seriously, it's more like they weren't taking Rinoa seriously. The whole thing was basically Rinoa coming up with an idea, which could have worked (if it had been discussed properly, the only thing wrong with it is that Edea apparently knew what the bangle was for, but there would be no way to know that), but the others, especially Quistis were basically all like "this has nothing to do with you, and you don't understand it, so shut up!"

Rinoa wasn't treating it like a game, they assumed she was, and assumed wrong. She had a genuine idea of how she could help them, that she knew was unfinished (i.e. she had no idea how she was going to get Edea to wear the bangle) so she came to the others with what she had so far, and hoped that they'd be able to come up with a complete idea of how to do it. She may even have been willing to begrudgingly accept the fact that she was not allowed to participate in the mission, and just handed the bangle to the others, and have them decide what to do with it, that way she still helps without actually being there. Had Quistis not (metaphorically) thrown it back in her face, Rinoa may never have needed to attempt it herself.

I’m pretty sure the main reason they weren’t taking Rinoa seriously was because they believed that she only came up with her plan as a way to oppose her father and his own plan. I personally believe that there have might have been some truth to this, even though she had a genuine desire to help them as well. Rinoa and her father clearly had a bad relationship. You could especially tell when Rinoa referred to him as “that man”. The others probably thought that she was acting childish.