PDA

View Full Version : Spring Break

Loony BoB
05-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Is that a thing that people in America (and other cultures?) actually do? Is it fairly common? Did any of you guys/girls do it? Is it just as blatantly "get drunk and hang around on beaches and give each other beads" as pop culture portrays it?

I misread a thread title (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/156081-sphere-break-neat-minigame-frustrating-time-waster.html) and my train of thought took me here.

Pumpkin
05-01-2014, 04:48 PM
We had March break which is a week in March, and most people as far as I know stay home and sleep. The ones who went out and partied and got drunk did that any other time, March break or not.

Formalhaut
05-01-2014, 04:54 PM
How I knew this would become a thread :p

I suppose we do, just not how you guys do it. Spring Break is basically 'Easter Holidays' and the weather isn't really beach weather.

Personally for me, I've spent the majority of the holidays revising for my exam.

Shorty
05-01-2014, 04:58 PM
I was always smurfing appalled that parents would let their teenagers go to Miami and trout by themselves to do god knows what with hundreds of other partying teens without supervision. I have no idea if this crap actually happens, but it must, right? Where else does this idea of spring break come from?

My friends in Utah would often spring break to Park City or St. George because their parents had cabins there. I pretty much always went to Vegas to visit my cousins. Some rich kids would go to Cancun or on some Carribbean cruise. Seems to me the idea of spring break is "teens gone wild" when in fact it's just an excuse for a family vacation. But I have no idea how it went in other states. Coastal states probably do party pretty hard.

Jessweeee♪
05-01-2014, 05:02 PM
You have to pass through my neighborhood to get to the beach in my town so for me the month of March is stay home and avoid beach traffic and definitely stay away from the beach month.

Mirage
05-01-2014, 05:05 PM
There's no "spring break" in norway, but we do have the time period between 1st of may to 17th of may where the Sr. high students ( except we don't divide school thingies into the same years as in the US so it's actually one or two years above that) are basically on a 17 day long bingedrinking/party session in something we call "russefeiring" (it has nothing to do with russia).

It varies from person to person, but often time, you'll have groups of students pooling their money to buy an old van that they fill with speaker systems and drive around shooting at people with water guns while drinking beer. Some of the wealthier students sometimes even buy a whole smurfing bus to party in.

Pictures related:
http://www.xelent.no/images/produktbilder/wxyutlo1kc.jpg
http://www.graffiti.no/russebuss/odyssey.jpg

Scotty_ffgamer
05-01-2014, 05:29 PM
I've never personally known anyone who did the stereotypical spring break thing of going off to a beach and partying and whatnot. I just stayed at home and played video games.

Jiro
05-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Nah, uni students in Aus get between 1-3 weeks sometime in or around Spring in the middle of the university holidays. These weeks rarely line up with the week(s) off for another institution and most courses deem a "week off" as time you can use catching up on assignments or doing extra work, so

Raistlin
05-02-2014, 02:38 AM
It is a real thing, but mostly just for students (generally high school or college). There's a "spring break" for most schools sometime in March/early April where it's common for all of those with time off to go to the beach. Because it involves college kids, yes, there is often partying/drinking. I usually didn't do anything special for spring breaks, though.

I Took the Red Pill
05-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Yes. It is one of the only things that is exactly as you see it in the movies. My friends and I drove an RV from New York to Panama City Beach, Florida (22 hours drive) for spring break a few years ago when I was a senior in college.

It was just 6 straight days of getting absolutely blasted on the beach. Sloppy girls walking around with their tits out. Jacked bros unironically shouting YOLO. Drunken fights. Strangers offering you drugs (and you accepting). People passed out on the beach and turning lobster-red in the sun. And then at night, chilling on the beach nursing your hangover (hangovers would hit you at night in this Bizarro world) with a spliff and some of your best friends in the world.

I loved every second of it :praisethesun:

Shiny
05-02-2014, 06:51 AM
Beads? I never got any beads, it was terrible. I want the candy beads.

There's Madi Gras where you get beads. My mom had a bunch of them from when she went she went ten years ago, so I guess she had a good time.

I have a crazy story about something that actually occurred senior year during spring break, but you will have to get me drunk in London to tell that story.

blackmage_nuke
05-02-2014, 06:56 AM
Maybe it's the fact that all major poulated areas in Aus are no more than 2 hours away from a beach but going all the way to a different state just to hang out at a beach for a week sounds like a big meh unless maybe you're going to the Gold Coast

Sephex
05-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Usually in March, as pointed out already. When I was younger it was usually "video game week" but there were times I went on a family vacation. When I was a young adult and still had a designated spring break of sorts, I usually ended up hanging out and bumming around a lot. Christmas break was more of a lazy thing for me, which was awesome because that is usually TWO weeks off instead of a single week.

Ayen
05-02-2014, 08:25 AM
I know it's a yearly thing. I was home schooled so I never went on any Spring Breaks and my parents wouldn't have allowed me to go in the first place. I just got some time off school.

Shlup
05-02-2014, 09:58 AM
I never have and never will desire to go to one of those "Spring Break" orgies. Bleh.

Pike
05-02-2014, 10:24 AM
It's a college party thing; I never did anything aside from stay at home and play video games though.

Quindiana Jones
05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
I have a crazy story about something that actually occurred senior year during spring break, but you will have to get me drunk in London to tell that story.

Noted. :hattip:

Rocket Edge
05-02-2014, 10:33 PM
There's no deal about it where I live apart from a couple of weeks off from school. I think it looks hilarious seeing it in some movies. Did anyone see Spring Breakers? They try to portray it to be as mad as possible.

As for missing out? I couldn't care less. Give me a few pints in the local and I'm a happy man.

Jiro
05-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Maybe it's the fact that all major poulated areas in Aus are no more than 2 hours away from a beach but going all the way to a different state just to hang out at a beach for a week sounds like a big meh unless maybe you're going to the Gold Coast

Oh, yeah, Schoolies. That's probably the equivalent event, isn't it? I think last year had the lowest number of deaths for a while.

Bunny
05-03-2014, 04:00 AM
I never did anything wild for Spring Break because I do not understand the party mentality that most high school and college kids have. I still don't understand the point of getting blackout drunk.

fire_of_avalon
05-03-2014, 05:15 AM
I think I might have gone to Myrtle Beach, SC once for spring break while I was in college. I had fun but I didn't have Red Pill fun.