PDA

View Full Version : Offal

Night Fury
05-02-2014, 04:46 AM
Does anyone here eat offal? What are your favourite offal dishes?

I'm talking the insides - the bits you generally don't eat ;)

I'm asking because I've always been very turned off offal, but I've seen some wonderfully prepared offal dishes recently, and I think I'd be up for giving it a go. First on my list is some bone marrow (is that even offal?) I think it could be argued whether or not marrow is offal, but it's definitely a more unconventional meat product.

Another reason I've become quite keen to eat it is because it's making sure the whole animal is getting eaten, and not just having the grosser bits discarded!

Yum yum yum offal! :)

Mirage
05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Liver is actually really tasty when prepared right. I haven't had chicken liver, but i've had...pork liver probably? Maybe ox liver as well. I don't think liver is extremely uncommon in norway, but it is probably less eaten by the generation growing up today than it was for my parent's generation. Seems wasteful to throw away a fully usable product, and one that even tastes good too.

Shorty
05-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Nope, would not eat. Have never had.

Mercen-X
05-03-2014, 12:41 AM
What can I say? for the puns

Quindiana Jones
05-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Dad introduced me to it before university, because offal is cheap and healthy and magnificent. I'm not a fan of kidney unless it's heavily mixed with something, like a steak and kidney pie, for example. Liver is glorious when prepared well, as Mirage said, but horrible and flaky and dry and awful when done poorly, so watch out for that! Lamb's liver is usually very good quality, and in England it's cheap as piss! :jess:

Heart is good, though you've gotta work for it. Big muscle and whatnot. Chicken hearts are easy to come by in China, but the best heart I had was ox heart. Holy shit. I diced that bad boy up and made sandwiches. Rocket fuel sandwiches that could power you through an entire day and give you the meatiest and most horrendous gas ever. I think you'd like heart, Locky! xD

Intenstines are a big no. Fucking abominable things.