PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about doing a Let's Play!

Fynn
05-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Not in the nearest future, though :p But shion's Chrono Trigger Let's Play has inspired me to try and do one of these some day! Preferably a game I haven't played yet, also preferably on the SNES or GBA, so I can easily play it on my PC and take screenshots. And it needs to be an RPG. I was thinking of trying Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, as I am now in the middle of Tactics Ogre and loving it to bits, but I'm not sure if it lends itself well to an LP. DO you guys have any other suggestions?

Skyblade
05-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Golden Sun.

You could also try Megaman Battle Network, as those are fantastic little underrated RPGs (MMBN3 is the best, and it is understandable without playing the others).

Ooh, or Fire Emblem (the original GBA one, I prefer it to Sacred Stones).

Fynn
05-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Played Golden Sun like five times, so I don't think so, unless I'm really in the mood for it again somehow. Megaman Battle Network I've tried once and didn't really like it. I'll think about that Fire Emblem, as long as I don't get SRPG burnout after Tactics Ogre.

Wolf Kanno
05-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals or Robotrek if you want some not often played gems. You could also try Live a Live or one of the Romancing Saga games. If you feel really masochistic I would say try out Shin Megami Tensei.

Sephiroth
05-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Earthbound.

Fynn
05-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals or Robotrek

Never heard of it, so it's a good candidate.

Live a Live

Played it numerous times.

one of the Romancing Saga games

Yeah, tried it and got a bit overwhelmed. Plus, I think only the first and third one are in full English, and 2 seemed the most interesting to me :(

If you feel really masochistic I would say try out Shin Megami Tensei.

I have. Don't intend to try again anytme soon. Defninitely NOT for an LP. Though they have an iOS version... Hmm...

Earthbound

I've beaten it once and it's got tons of LPs, so I don't think so. However, I've yet to beat Mother 3, which might be a good candidate as well, I think.

Aulayna
05-03-2014, 12:13 PM
One of the many Fire Emblem games? Or perhaps Tales of Phantasia?

Fynn
05-03-2014, 12:25 PM
One of the many Fire Emblem games? Or perhaps Tales of Phantasia?

Both sound pretty good. I actually have Awakening but can't play it yet because my dad has it and he's far away. But like I said before - after Tactics Ogre I might be suffering from SRPG burnout, so that may not be feasible. I've always wanted to try the Tales series, though, so that might be the best suggestion yet! Thanks, Aulayna :D

Formalhaut
05-03-2014, 02:23 PM
What sort of system or era do you want to play with? Is it retro, or would you like to do a LP with a more modern game? I think a LP of Heavy Rain would be good.

Shauna
05-03-2014, 02:36 PM
What sort of system or era do you want to play with? Is it retro, or would you like to do a LP with a more modern game? I think a LP of Heavy Rain would be good.

Preferably a game I haven't played yet, also preferably on the SNES or GBA, so I can easily play it on my PC and take screenshots. And it needs to be an RPG.

...:D

Tales of Phantasia would be cool, especially if you haven't Tales'd before.

Dat Matt
05-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Tales of Phantasia isn't too bad. I played it on a SNES or GBA emulator a few years back.

Have you played FFTA (Tactics advance)? Like Fire Emblem with Final Fantasy elements. I loved it growing up. I kinda want nintendo to re-release it on the eshop for I have an excuse to play it again :P

Fynn
05-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Like I said, it needs to be SNES or GBA so that I can emulate and screencap it easily. I don't own a home console now, and I have no way of screencapping 3DS or PSP games. Also, my computer is kinda slow, so I can't emulate anything later than the GBA :(

Mr. Shauna - FFTA is definitely one of my favorite FFs of all time, and I really think it is the best written of the series. Needless to say, that's not what I';m going for with this hypothetical LP. :D I really want you guys to see how I experience a game for the first time.

Once there's a substantial amount of suggestions, I'm thinking of opening a poll, so that people can vote on what game they want me to play. Should be fun ;)

Formalhaut
05-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Damn. Heavy Rain would have been an amazing LP.

Hmm... I don't really know many RPGs on those systems. I mean, there's Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, which has been said before. There's also FF: Tactics and FF: Tactics Advance, but you've played those to death probably.

Past that. I'm struggling. Sorry I can't be of any help Fynn :(

Fynn
05-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Damn. Heavy Rain would have been an amazing LP.

Hmm... I don't really know many RPGs on those systems. I mean, there's Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, which has been said before. There's also FF: Tactics and FF: Tactics Advance, but you've played those to death probably.

Past that. I'm struggling. Sorry I can't be of any help Fynn :(

Nah, it's okay ;) I already have plenty of suggestions anyway. You can help vote later on!

Pumpkin
05-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm not super familiar with GBA and SNES games (I started my gaming days on Playstation and N64) but as someone who also has a crap computer, the Desmume whatever DS emulator is great. It's had the least issues for me and it's more user friendly for someone who sucks at this stuff, I find. It also has a lot of classic games, like the earlier Final Fantasy's and Chrono Trigger and a good number of other RPG's. You know your computer better than I do, but like I said, mine is crap and it plays the DS emulator flawlessly. Might be worth looking in to.

Formalhaut
05-04-2014, 12:33 AM
I'm not super familiar with GBA and SNES games (I started my gaming days on Playstation and N64) but as someone who also has a crap computer, the Desmume whatever DS emulator is great. It's had the least issues for me and it's more user friendly for someone who sucks at this stuff, I find. It also has a lot of classic games, like the earlier Final Fantasy's and Chrono Trigger and a good number of other RPG's. You know your computer better than I do, but like I said, mine is crap and it plays the DS emulator flawlessly. Might be worth looking in to.

Desmume is actually pretty good, I agree with Shion. My laptop is laughably ancient and on it's last legs, so it did struggle, but that's a fault of the laptop, not of the system. Before I could play Phoenix Wright on my iPad Mini, it was literally how I got into the series, through that emulator.

I'd definitely consider it. Allow you to pick from more games for your LP!

Fynn
05-04-2014, 06:09 AM
Yeah, my PC hates desmume :/

Also, I own a DS and played pretty much all the RPGs that came out on it. So unless something really new pops up, I'm sticking to the SNES/GBA limitation. We already have like five vaild suggestions, so yay :D

Wolf Kanno
05-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Which one are you leaning towards?

Pumpkin
05-04-2014, 06:12 AM
Ah, I'm sorry about the Desmume thing :(. I wish I could be of more help, but like I said, I'm really not familiar with most SNES/GBA games :/

Fynn
05-04-2014, 06:13 AM
For now, Tales of Phantasia and Lufis 2, but like I said, I'll probably put up a poll because I don't want to do research and compare, because I want to know the least I can about the game.

Skyblade
05-04-2014, 06:15 AM
There's also The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (if you want to play a horribly butchered version of a fantastic Tactical RPG), or Sword of Mana.

Fynn
05-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Minish Cap (lol, autocorrect almost made this into Munich Cap). Also, I don't consider Zeldas RPGs. I've also beaten Sword of Mana. Shining Force sounds good but again - the possibility of SRPG burnout is there. And Dark Dragon first sound that good from what you're saying :onoes:

Wolf Kanno
05-04-2014, 06:30 AM
The two choices you made are fine.

Lufia 2 is a turn-based RPG and a late SNES game of which Wild ARMS and Golden Sun both heavily borrow from.

Tales of Phantasia is basically the granddaddy of Action-RPGs like the rest of the Tales Of Franchise and Star Ocean.

Pumpkin
05-04-2014, 06:34 AM
I vote whichever of the suggested has the best cast of characters

Skyblade
05-04-2014, 06:51 AM
Minish Cap (lol, autocorrect almost made this into Munich Cap). Also, I don't consider Zeldas RPGs. I've also beaten Sword of Mana. Shining Force sounds good but again - the possibility of SRPG burnout is there. And Dark Dragon first sound that good from what you're saying :onoes:

Resurrection of the Dark Dragon is...special. They stylized the graphics in an incredibly odd way, to the point that the original Genesis version looks superior, despite being inferior in a technical sense. They also added in some backstory that was, quite frankly, utterly stupid. Everything else about the game is decent, and I do know some people who really liked the gameplay changes, but between the disappointing aesthetic and the unnecessary and utterly inexplicable change to the backstory, it is not one I would relish playing again. However, it might work if you want to make a mocking Let's Play.

I wasn't sure about Minish Cap, but it's a fantastic little game, so I thought it was worth a shot.

Let's not forget Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Fynn
05-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Beaten Super Mario RPG too. Yes, it was awesome ;)

Fynn
05-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Also, don't be disheartened if I don't consider any of your options for now due to any of the reasons I listed. If this LP turns out to be a success, I might do more later, regardless of whether I'd played the game or not. It's just, for this particular project, I want to dive into a game I know literally nothing about, so you guys get to see me experience it for the first time ;)