PDA

View Full Version : Melodies of Life - English vs. Japanese

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Now, I may no longer worship FFIX like I once did but I will not for a second deny how completely and utterly satisfied I was when i first beat it. It's an indescribable feeling to watch Final Fantasy IX's ending for the first time. So many thoughts, so many feelings, so much love...

And Melodies of Life was a huge part of that. And given that I live in America and only speak 'murrican, I heard it in English.
atm0HpnLfSc

Then I get online and hear people say they don't like the English version at all.

WHAT UP WIT DAT?

And also, I own (or rather, owned, for a decade or so) the FF S-Generation Album, which contained the Japanese version of Melodies of Life. I heard it, it was good, but I just don't understand the whining about the English version.

Jinx
05-05-2014, 01:04 AM
Both are bad. The vocals are horrible. Only the "instrumental" (just Garnet's aaaaah voice) versions are good.

Jiro
05-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I didn't know there were versions with vocals. :eek:

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2014, 05:00 PM
...you never beat the game?

Pumpkin
05-05-2014, 05:04 PM
I like the non-vocal and hummed versions as well.

Wolf Kanno
05-05-2014, 09:17 PM
I prefer the English, the Japanese version sounds a bit too "Folksy" for my taste. It is actually my favorite FF Song not counting arrangement works.

Psychotic
05-05-2014, 10:10 PM
I recently got Melodies of Life for Theatrhythm (yeah I love that game, I love FF music and the art style, I don't care who bloody knows it) and it turned out to be the Japanese version. Wasn't impressed.

NeoCracker
05-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Musically it's just as good, but considering I really like the Lyrics I'll take the English version every time as I can understand what the fuck is being said. :p