PDA

View Full Version : How would you improve Vaan?

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2014, 04:02 AM
The kid gets a lot of hate even by fans of the game, so what would you do to make him a better character without completely rewriting his story?

Colonel Angus
05-06-2014, 04:21 AM
New wardrobe.

Elpizo
05-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Give him the shirt he had in Tactics A2.

That's all.

Loony BoB
05-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Shot to the head once he's no longer needed.

...too harsh? Probably. xD I dunno. He wasn't nearly as bad as Tidus, I think giving him decent clothes would have been a good start, although I don't think it would have changed all that much. If anything, I would have made him more involved and have him do something that actually significantly affects the overall plot, or to have some kind of impact because of "who he is" or something to make him feel relevant.

Fynn
05-06-2014, 01:01 PM

That's all.

This

Bolivar
05-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Nothing at all, his was a classic coming of age story and Vaan rocked it!

Pumpkin
05-06-2014, 07:08 PM
I really didn't see a problem with him. He wasn't my favorite, but I had nothing against him.

Formalhaut
05-06-2014, 09:28 PM

That's all.

This

Definitely, to cover up those disgustingly rendered abs of his. I guess I wanted Vaan to just... I don't know, I guess. Be less annoying?

Mirage
05-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Make him relevant to the plot. Give him a better sixpack texture.

Colonel Angus
05-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Visually, he looks like Hitler's dream version of Aladdin. Really, what's w/ all the blondes in this game?

LocoColt04
05-08-2014, 05:29 AM
Make him relevant to the plot. Give him a better sixpack texture.Either of these would have helped.

Vaan's real problem was that he was never even in the game to begin with (or Penelo) but the test market in Japan didn't like a story featuring "old people" like Basch and Balthier as leads. Sooooo as a total afterthought, the kiddos got lumped in to tag along. Balthier even makes a joke about being the leading man near the beginning of the game.

So yeah... more plot.

Vyk
05-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Make him relevant to the plot. Give him a better sixpack texture.Either of these would have helped.

Vaan's real problem was that he was never even in the game to begin with (or Penelo) but the test market in Japan didn't like a story featuring "old people" like Basch and Balthier as leads. Sooooo as a total afterthought, the kiddos got lumped in to tag along. Balthier even makes a joke about being the leading man near the beginning of the game.

So yeah... more plot.

Holy shit. This. I could freaking TASTE this in the narrative. And in fact, I came in here simply to say I would give him 5... possibly even 10 years. An 18-year-old street rat I could probably swallow. Early 20s would be a lot more relevant. And I don't think he would have been nearly as annoying. He basically would have been a more realistic Aladdin. Not a bad thing. And I can't see Aladdin going around yelling "I'm Captain Basch" to everyone and being an idiot in this game

I was actually going to go on a rant about how the coming of age thing in JRPGs just doesn't really do it, and their FF games with older protagonists like 4, 6, and 7 are soooo much better than things like 8 and 10

And Japan's dream-crush of always constantly and forever wanting to re-live high school life even in a fantasy game over and over and over and over again. Gawd /rant

Psychotic
05-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Keep the belly shirt vest thing, gain Aladdin's little hat instead.

Fynn
05-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Honestly, i think they worked him in pretty well. But that's a rant for another day.

maybee
05-08-2014, 04:00 PM

That's all.

yeah pretty much

Keep the belly shirt vest thing, gain Aladdin's little hat instead.

A little Fez would be pretty adorable :3

Kalevala
05-11-2014, 11:38 AM

So yeah... more plot.

That's fascinating. I wonder just how different the end result would have been without them.

Balthier is 22 and Basch is 36... "old people." What the fuck, Japan.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-12-2014, 08:21 AM
I like Vaan.

People can hate but he started the best FFXII trend around the forums, which was when several members tried to convince everyone else they were the real Captain Basch.

Dem abs tho. I don't know if they were just a sign of the graphics at the time or what but I would change the look of them or adjust his clothes. I always feel so bad giving critiques because I just picture the designers hard at work trying to do a good job.

I'm sure they'd look fine if we get the FFXII HD people have been thinking about ever since X HD came out.

Fynn
05-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Honestly, I was never really bothered by the abs. They fitted the stylistic direction that the game's graphics took, in that they tried to represent Yoshida's brush strokes, which I think they did a really good job with. I just think he looks better in a shirt.

LocoColt04
05-12-2014, 05:42 PM
For what it's worth, I actually liked Vaan. They did a halfway decent job integrating him and Penelo into the storyline, but you can tell they just aren't "important" when you look at how the other four tie in to everything.

Love the game though. I'm interested to see Fynn's rant about this at some point.

Silent Warrior
05-12-2014, 06:24 PM
If anything, I would just dial back on the Japanese humour. (The little 'argue like a married couple' skits with Penelo and his insta-enthusiasm as soon as airships are mentioned, specifically.) Doesn't work on my old Scandinavian funnybones...

I too think Square did a good job on Vaan and Penelo, making them plausible characters. So, Vaan isn't a cookie-cutter bona fide hero, big deal. Characters don't have to be paragons or help you through a life crisis to be well crafted, right?

Raistlin
05-15-2014, 02:21 AM
I'm in the minority that didn't really have a problem with Vaan (except for his poor sense of style). I thought starting off someplace local gave the player a starting point to start to care about the broader world, and he could be safely ignored after that. Maybe he could have been injected into the central plot more, but that would have likely ended up corny as hell ("Ashe's long lost bastard half-brother!") -- which would have been especially out of place in the more mature plot development that made FFXII stand out from most other entries in the series.

Plus, he was not nearly as annoying as Tidus or Squall.

Rostum
05-15-2014, 08:52 AM
I actually quite like Vaan (and Penelo) as a character, it's just that he needs a more integral role in the story. He doesn't need to be the hero, but he needs to offer something to the party more than what he currently does.

Fynn
05-15-2014, 09:47 AM
I actually quite like Vaan (and Penelo) as a character, it's just that he needs a more integral role in the story. He doesn't need to be the hero, but he needs to offer something to the party more than what he currently does.

But he's influenced Ashe's judgment, which is pretty damn important. But I've already talked about that at length :monster:

LunarWeaver
05-15-2014, 07:16 PM
I think if he were a chocobo Penelo kept as a pet he would be much cooler.

Rostum
05-17-2014, 10:38 AM

But he's influenced Ashe's judgment, which is pretty damn important. But I've already talked about that at length :monster:

Sorry lately I've been more inclined to skip most of the thread. ^^;

Fynn
05-17-2014, 10:42 AM

Sorry lately I've been more inclined to skip most of the thread. ^^;

Not this thread, though ;)

maybee
05-17-2014, 10:50 AM
he should of burst into song about how tough it is to live on the streets, be poor and and be a thief

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdgjpbOKSQ1rnr4rko1_500.gif

Dat Matt
05-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Would have preferred it if he wasn't "Main Protagonist". The main characters are usually the first people you control that stay in your party for an extended period of time. Vaan is the first person you control, so I'd alluded to that he is your main character.

The story revolves around Balther and Ashe more than anything else. Personally, I think than Vann, Bashe and Fran were all equally dull. Penelo was not much better but at least she was cutesy enough to ward off the dull.