PDA

View Full Version : Savior of the Franchise!

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2014, 04:04 AM
So if one looks around various topics about FFXV there is sometimes talk about this game is going to be the one to "redeem the franchise" or be the "next FFVII" so do you agree or disagree?

Shorty
05-06-2014, 04:08 AM
Too early to tell, I think. It'll be fucking better than what the franchise has dealt with since possibly FFX, though.

Fynn
05-06-2014, 08:38 AM
I think it has great potential to achieve that.

Rostum
05-06-2014, 11:38 AM
As far as the numbers go, FFXIV: ARR has been the franchise's savior. But other than that, what other options do we really have but to hope that this brings the series around? We've been stuck in MMO/Lightning land, and FFXV is the only thing to look forward to now. Remember when they announced FFIX, X and XI at the same time? Those were good times.

Ayen
05-06-2014, 01:19 PM
At the risk of being burnt, I have some degree of faith that they'll be able to turn things around. The next FFVII? The last time they strive to make the next FFVII we got FFXIII, so hopefully they just focus on making a fun RPG with a good story and keeping fan feedback into account. They did a good job turning FFXIV around from its original model, and even the XIII sequels has at least tried to touch on criticism from the previous game even if it still fell short in other places.

I find myself agreeing with the person who said (I think it was Skyblade) that the franchise can't survive another flop. If this game tanks there may be no bouncing back from it.

This post is so doom and gloom. Here:

:grover:

No one can ever feel sad when Grover's around.

metagloria
05-06-2014, 01:40 PM
People said that XIII would be the next VII.

Look, there can't be a "next VII". The only game that would be the next VII would be the full-blown remake of the first VII.

Psychotic
05-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Return of the open world map and a modern battle system? I want to believe!

Pumpkin
05-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I just hope its a good game. I hope for good characters and an involving story and gameplay I don't suck at.

Also, I hope it isn't the next VII because I'm not a huge fan of VII :P

Aulayna
05-07-2014, 01:17 AM
XIV: ARR was the saviour of the franchise. That game is practically an open love letter to FF fans.

I do wonder if XV has been in development hell for so long, that none of the lessons learned from Bravely Default will be implemented.

Ayen
05-07-2014, 01:22 AM
XIV: ARR was the saviour of the franchise. That game is practically an open love letter to FF fans.

I think a lot of people skip it because they don't like MMOs. I actually want to try it out when I'm done with the games on my schedule.

Del Murder
05-07-2014, 08:24 AM
I doubt it will save anything. Games that go through development for 6 years and get rebranded halfway through generally don't knock people's socks off. I'm sure it will still be fun, though.

Kalevala
05-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Remember when they announced FFIX, X and XI at the same time? Those were good times.

I wish I was old enough to remember this happening. That sounds incredible.

DMKA
05-11-2014, 02:46 AM
I think it will revitalize the series in the eyes of the larger gaming public, and will receive wide praise for being so different and unrestricted by a turn based system, much like FFXII did when it came out.

But as far as longtime FF fans? No, not at all.

FFFFsephychibi
05-11-2014, 09:46 PM
I do wonder if XV has been in development hell for so long, that none of the lessons learned from Bravely Default will be implemented.

I cannot find proof of this information: A friend was telling me yesterday that Square recently interviewed and claimed they removed rpg elements like leveling up, instead you collect new items from bosses to get stronger and removed 'other things' in ff15. I personally do not believe this unless there is proof of this mysterious article.

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm expecting something closer to more recent Kingdom Hearts games over something like old school FF.

Psychotic
05-11-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm expecting something closer to more recent Kingdom Hearts games over something like old school FF.I think Kingdom Hearts with a serious theme as opposed to Disney has the potential to do very well. The rise of Kingdom Hearts (until they stopped making KH games!) was phenomenal. The FF name, while somewhat tarnished, is still a heavy hitter. We'll see though!

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2014, 11:46 PM
I think it will be fun, I enjoy the gameplay of the more recent KH games but it will definitely be a bit of shock for players expecting something like turn base. My real concern is that it will be easy cause KH games are not exactly known for being challenging.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-12-2014, 02:09 AM
Games that go through development for 6 years and get rebranded halfway through generally don't knock people's socks off.I'm hoping for the opposite. I hope it's the long development time and "new face" of sorts that makes it more extraordinary than perhaps initially planned.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2014, 02:17 AM
Long development can go either way, but I feel that SE does not have exactly the best track record. I can't say how well the game will do but I bet most fans will feel the game is a bit odd since it doesn't fit in as much as other entries in terms of core game experience.

Big D
05-12-2014, 05:49 AM
Still not getting my hopes up. If it turns out to be a great game, then that's awesome, and I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. I just can't shake the feeling that it could just be another flash in the pan, relying on slick presentation and a cast of "attractive" clones to give the illusion of polish and depth to a lacklustre, forgettable experience. They need to deliver the sausage as well as the sizzle before I'll be fully onboard.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2014, 05:56 AM
I'll admit I would like to finally see some gameplay footage that doesn't appear to be part of some story set piece. I know he promised a field map and all, but I'm starting to think this game may be moving from one set piece to the next with little to do in-between.

black orb
05-12-2014, 06:09 AM
>>> If this game becomes the savior of the franchise i will eat my shoes..:luca:

Del Murder
05-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Sneakers or sandals?

Fynn
05-16-2014, 11:26 AM
You want fries with that?

maybee
05-17-2014, 12:56 PM
No, don't think that it will be the savior that saves the series.

It will either a) keep the series boat floating or b) be the iceberg that stinks it

You want fries with that?

New Mc Donalds burger Mc shoes

Mirage
05-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Savior? Idk. Probably not. A game that I enjoyed and felt was worth the money I paid for it? I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Newmani
05-19-2014, 09:39 PM
I'd have to sit down and play it. A few promos and a few trailers isn't nearly enough to tell whether a game is good or not. Remember that Aliens game? The one with the oh so pretty trailers? It was so misleading they got in trouble for that.

Vyk
05-19-2014, 11:04 PM
I simply imagine it will be a better game than any of the FFXIII games ever were. But that's about all I really expect. I hope for more than just beating a previously bad game and actually be a stand-out good game. But I won't be holding my breath. I am rooting for it though

fat_moogle
05-20-2014, 02:56 AM
It's ironic that if it were to be released as Versus XIII it would have been praised for it's gameplay, but now it's a main title some people aren't happy.

I'm hoping that XV stays true to SE's original plans for Versus XIII. From what I remember there were plans of world map, vehicles, even controllable airships. I don't know how much of that is true, but it would be great if it was. My only fear is that the transition to next gen may have been more difficult that they thought and that a lot of it will be cut to focus on the story. Fingers crossed that's not the case.

Depression Moon
05-20-2014, 09:09 PM

I think a lot of people skip it because they don't like MMOs. I actually want to try it out when I'm done with the games on my schedule.

I think a lot of people like MMO's like me, but don't have the money and/or internet to keep up with it I know I don't. After the beta I was done. Reviving the franchise? Only time will tell. If it becomes another XIII expect fans to never come back unless the reviews for XVI are astounding.

Shauna
05-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Every instalment will be the saviour until the fans can agree that one of them actually saved it.

But I expect this to be decent - I don't hate FF13 so, I guess I don't see there being a huge amount to save! :3 Other than saving face for the company, I guess.

Slothy
05-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Too early to tell, I think. It'll be fucking better than what the franchise has dealt with since possibly FFX, though.

Unlikely since FFXII is top 3 easy. But it'd have to try damn hard to be worse than FFXIII.

Venom65437
07-05-2014, 04:43 AM
I no longer have any faith in SE to make a decent FF game anymore. There is a good chance I may never play this because nothing else is coming out on PS4 that I want and SE has let me down way too many times for me to drop $400 on a system to play their games.

Loony BoB
07-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Based on my experiences in FFXIII, XIII-2 and Lighting Returns, I think SE will be fine with gameplay having learned lessons. The looks will obviously be fine. I am of the impression that the biggest hurdle will be story. If they can create an incredible world story along with the already good quality of characters SE created in recent games, then I'm sure it will turn out pretty good. But that's a big if... it seems incredible world stories are hard to come across these days as writing takes a seat a fair few rows behind gameplay in modern gaming.

Christmas
05-20-2022, 03:06 PM
8 years on, it is no messiah. :(

But to be fair, the story is decent if only they present it whole in the game instead of thru multiple DLCs. :(