PDA

View Full Version : Favorite FF from each console generation!

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2014, 04:17 AM
So the series up until recently has kind of neatly fit three games per console generation but which is your favorite from that particular generation? Handheld don't count cause it's too much of a pain trying to figure out where they lie in the main console series, but also because some handhelds only have ports or one game on them or not true FFs. With that said, sequels and spin-offs do count. :p

The Man
05-06-2014, 04:45 AM
NES: haven't played enough of any of them to have an opinion on them
SNES: VI
PS: IX
PS2: only played X and X-2, prefer X, however suspect XII would be my favourite if I played it
PS3: haven't played any

Forsaken Lover
05-06-2014, 05:44 AM
NES: FFII
SNES: FFIV
PS1: FFVII
PS2: FFXII
PS3: FFXIII?

VeloZer0
05-06-2014, 06:15 AM
NES: FF3
SNES: FF6
PS1: FFT
PS2: FF10 (or the fact that I can play PS1 FF games)
PS3: FF7 on PSN?

Really after the PS1 generation I don't think that SE has released anything that has particularly impressed me.

Rez09
05-06-2014, 07:31 AM
NES - Probably FF1, though 3 is really close
SNES - FF6
PS1 - FF7
PS2 - FF12

Karifean
05-06-2014, 08:49 AM
NES: None played.
SNES: Tie between V and VI
PSX: VII
PS2: X
PS3: XIII-2

Bolivar
05-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Final Fantasy II: I like getting swept up in its narrative, a globe-trotting adventure of revolution, revelation, betrayal and discovery.

Final Fantasy V: it has the most meat on the bones when it comes to gameplay.

Final Fantasy VII: it's got the least grainy visuals, the fastest and sleekest combat, and was just overall more original for its time.

Final Fantasy X: it's real hard here because FFXII is just so damn good but X has a more emotional story and better pacing.

Final Fantasy XIII: a good game on its own but it wins by default since I don't intend to play the others.

Ayen
05-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Generation III: Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II
Generation IV: Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI
Generation V: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX
Generation VI: Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Generation VII: n/A

In other words, most of the FF titles I've actually played are my favorites.

Edit: Oh trout, you were asking for one favorite each.

metagloria
05-06-2014, 07:24 PM
I, V, VII, XII, and XIV.

Pumpkin
05-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I DONT KNOW WHICH GAMES ARE FROM WHICH GENERATION

but based off of what you said of 3 per game, umm

I
V
IX
XII

Ayen
05-06-2014, 07:40 PM
*mumbles something about being forced to choose one*

NES: Final Fantasy
SNES: Final Fantasy V
PSX: Final Fantasy VII
PS2: Final Fantasy X

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2014, 08:10 PM
NES: FFIII - Basically FFI on steroids with a better Job system, more clever puzzles and some mean difficulty.
SNES: VI - Best cast and story in the series and some of the most innovative gameplay of the generation.
PS1: FFTactics - FFV's job class system on steroids and one of the best written plots of the franchise.
PS2: FFXII - A breathtaking world an game that takes some serious risk.
PS3: Don't have one, I don't care for MMOs and the less I talk about XIII franchise the better for everyone.

Fynn
05-11-2014, 07:56 AM
NES: FFII. I played FFIII too late to fully appreciate how ahead of its time it was, and ultimately, I found myself liking the risks FFII took much more. And it is criminally underrated.

SNES: FFVI. I love all the SNES entries, they're the ones I am the most attached to as they were the ones that got me hooked on the series and JRPGs in general. VI wins because of its complex story, incredible atmosphere, superb characters and the open-endlessness of the world of Ruin. It is tied with one more game for the number one spot on my favorite FF list.

PSX: If I were to choose among the numbered entries, I'd go with IX. However, this generation had a Matsuno title, so Tactics wins. I've only played the PSP version, though.

PS2: FFXII. I mean, it's easy for it to win considering its rivals are an MMO and what is possibly the most shallow entry in the series (keep in mind I haven't played any of the PS3 titles), but FFXII will always remain outstanding in my eyes. The stunning visuals, expansive world, unique battle system and incredibly layered story are what place this game alongside VI as my favorite FF of all time.

Too bad handhelds don't count as I honestly want to list Tactics Advanvce and Bravely Default here :(

Colonel Angus
05-11-2014, 08:50 AM
NES- I The game that made me fall in love w/ the genre. Took me years to beat Astos, but I kept coming back to try. Multiple party choices added to the replay value.
SNES- VI Great cast of characters. Astonishing world.
PSX- VIII Gunblades, Diablos & the Card Game.
PS2- VII Not only my favorite FF, but my favorite game of all time. The look, the sound, the Cactoids, the political intrigue, I love it all.

Psychotic
05-11-2014, 10:29 AM
NES: Final Fantasy
SNES: I refuse to choose. I enjoy all three equally.
PS: Final Fantasy VII
PS2: Final Fantasy X-2
Xbox 360: Lightning Returns.

maybee
05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
NES: FFII
SNES: FFIV
PS1: FFVIII/ FF IX
PS2: FFX
PS3: FFXIII-2