PDA

View Full Version : RPG that had the biggest impact on you.

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2014, 04:31 AM
We're an RPG forum so I assume we all play RPGs and that somewhere along the line a certain game came along and had a profound effect on you, so which is it? It's not Hydlide is it? :shifty: So which game did you feel had the biggest impact on you?

The Man
05-06-2014, 04:33 AM
it's probably FFVI since that's the one that started me on my JRPG binge in the first place. Outside the FF series, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Suikoden II all have strong claims, I guess.

NeoCracker
05-06-2014, 05:35 AM
Pretty close tie between FF IV and FF VI.

FF IV may be the game that started my love of gaming in general, even though I had played games before it, and FF VI is the one that made me truly start to appreciate how great the medium was.

Forsaken Lover
05-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Final Fantasy VII. It's why I love JRPGs more than any other genre of video games.

There are better JRPGs than FFVII but none of them can take aay its impact on my life.

Shorty
05-06-2014, 06:05 AM
FFVIII, of course. Changed my life by bringing me directly to you nerds!

VeloZer0
05-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Hm, probably FF7. It was the first game to set me down the path of being a 'gamer'.

Rostum
05-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Zelda.

Miss Mae
05-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Probably Might and Magic VII. I watched my dad play all of the early Might and Magic games when I was very young, and it's the first one I attempted to tackle myself. I loved running around, taking notes and exploring. It's what sparked my love not only for RPGs but video games in general, so there's a soft spot in my heart for it.

Loony BoB
05-06-2014, 12:25 PM
If FFVII never happened then this site would not have existed, therefore I would not have the same friends, I may not have travelled to places like Germany and America, I would possibly not live in this country and I would almost certainly not have met let alone married Danielle.

Ayen
05-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Final Fantasy VII was my introduction to all things RPG and FF related, so that's an obvious mention. FFX had a pretty profound impact on me because of the characters and themes dealing with things that I found myself relating to so I was the most invested in that journey.

Slothy
05-06-2014, 01:13 PM
FFVIII, of course. Changed my life by bringing me directly to you nerds!

I knew that game was terrible. :p

I'm going to say Mystic Quest because it's terrible and hilarious and it's the first RPG I ever played and lead me directly to FFIV.

metagloria
05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
There's no way to pick between FF1, which I became enamored with at the age of 4 and never stopped playing, and FF7, which...there aren't even words for what playing that was like.

I was one of those unfortunate children who owned a Sega Genesis but not a Super Nintendo, so while I was aware of FF4 ("2") and 6 ("3"), I wasn't able to play them until Chronicles and Anthology, so they didn't impact me in that nostalgia-driven way.

Bolivar
05-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Shining Force II on the Genesis was the first one I played to completion and sparked my enthusiasm for the genre. But it's eclipsed by FFVII, which took things to a new level and laid bare what video games as a whole were truly capable of.

Pike
05-06-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure my first and second playthroughs of Morrowind were the best 200 hours of my life (I'm including the second in there because I appreciated it more the second time around)

Pumpkin
05-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Final Fantasy IX

Fynn
05-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I'd played RPGs before, even FFs, but this was my first Matsuno title, therefore, the first game that I played that actually presented a rich scale of grays, instead of the regular black and white conflicts. I think it really has changed the way I perceive the world and what I want my storytelling to look like.

ScottNUMBERS
05-06-2014, 09:04 PM
FFVII. I had always been into gaming, but this game just blew me away. From there, my unhealthy obsession with the series manifested.

Rostum
05-07-2014, 12:03 PM
FFVII.

Karifean
05-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Definitely Final Fantasy VII.

Raistlin
05-08-2014, 02:31 AM
Breath of Fire III introduced me to RPGs (well actually that was Super Mario RPG, but I didn't get hooked on the genre until BoF).

Final Fantasy VII introduced me to FF, which led me to here. And also without FF7, this place would not exist.

Mercen-X
05-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Impact... impact..? I don't know that any RPG has impacted me at all. Perhaps some have affected my writing style... no. Not my style per se. Moreso that I've written a number of fan-fiction that I later mutilated so that they only vaguely resembled the works they were derived of. I think the most original story I ever wrote was a fan-fic devoted to Zack before I knew anything about him. The first paragraph was true fan-fic. Everything that followed completely obliterated any connection to Final Fantasy VII. Zack became a black clone with a missing sister and crazed older brother/father (both he and his sister were cloned from another clone) all three having heterochromia. There was a psychic, a cop (actually a spy), a super-soldier (the cop's sister), a mercenary "Mercen-X" (...yup), and an entire segregated race based on eye color (red for males and magenta for females). Three concepts shared with VII were genetic experimentation, the fact that Zack was an elite soldier, and the existence of a tyrannical corporation.

Pike
05-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Oh we're going for timeline changing impact?

If Zelda counts as an RPG (I really don't think it does but I guess I'm unique in that view) I have to change my answer to that. Wouldn't have met Mister Adequate without it. :3:

The Man
05-08-2014, 11:14 AM
If Zelda counts, then yeah, definitely that. Probably either the first one or LttP. Those games had as much to do with my lasting obsession with video games as anything I can think of. You're not unique in not thinking of it as an RPG, though, Pike; I don't think of it it that way either.

Bubba
05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Final Fantasy VII. It's why I love JRPGs more than any other genre of video games.

Hm, probably FF7. It was the first game to set me down the path of being a 'gamer'.

If FFVII never happened then this site would not have existed, therefore I would not have the same friends, I may not have travelled to places like Germany and America, I would possibly not live in this country and I would almost certainly not have met let alone married Danielle.

Final Fantasy VII was my introduction to all things RPG and FF related, so that's an obvious mention.

But it's eclipsed by FFVII, which took things to a new level and laid bare what video games as a whole were truly capable of.

FFVII. I had always been into gaming, but this game just blew me away. From there, my unhealthy obsession with the series manifested.

FFVII.

Definitely Final Fantasy VII.

All of the above also applies to me.

... except I didn't marry Danielle.

maybee
05-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Final Fantasy IX

Because I used to think/ believe that I sucked at video games and could never complete them, and that game told me that I could, it's possible, if you work hard at it enough.

I did work hard at it too. I think I was like LV 30 at the beginning of CD 2 or something insane.

Dat Matt
05-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Lots of final fantasy up in this thread.

Mother Fuckers need to get some Grandia on.

Yellow_Magic
05-08-2014, 08:22 PM
FFVI is what introduced me to jRPGS - Chrono Trigger's what got me hooked.

Tigmafuzz
05-08-2014, 09:04 PM
This is the most difficult question I've ever read, holy shit.

magemasher
05-08-2014, 10:06 PM
I was an awkward spotty 13 year old when I first played ff9 (first rpg). I was hooked on it so quickly, an Easter weekend in fact and I spent the Sunday and Monday stuffing chocolate down my throat and playing this game. Zidanes character was huge on me, he inspired me to have more confidence in myself and to lighten up a bit. To this day my favourite game of all time and I don't think it will ever be topped imo.

Colonel Angus
05-09-2014, 04:03 AM
For me it was my 1st, FFI. That is when I officially became a nerd.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-09-2014, 04:17 AM
In the game you take on the role of a fantasy character in a fantasy setting, so if that counts, King's Quest VI.

If it was the first one a console, then Zelda:LttP or Earthbound.

If it was the first one to really show me how deep, and involving the story of a game could get, how impactful the music could be, and made me really feel the struggle of the characters, Xenogears.

I think all those games had a strong influence on my taste in games.

Shauna
05-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Wild Arms and Suikoden for getting me into RPGs to begin with. I was just a kid when I played these and for some reason I loved them more than anything. :3

Grandia II for really cementing that I would forever be some RPG nerd.

Wolf Kanno
05-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception was the first RPG I ever played but it was Secret of Mana that finally got me into the genre. FFVI changed my view of gaming, Wild ARMS and Breath of Fire 3 serve as the template for what I think good RPG gameplay should look like. Xenogears, FFTactics, and Suikoden changed how I feel story telling should be done for the genre, and Persona 3 and Xenoblade taught me the value of excellent gameplay unity of design.

I still consider Chrono Trigger to be nearly perfect.

NeoCracker
05-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I was severely late to playing Suikoden 2 as you all know, and I can say that it has aged amazingly well, and while I take some issues with the righting here and there, it definitely had a solid narrative and handled it very well and in a very unique way for its time, and even now.

Any game looking for a massive cast of playable characters needs to first look at Suikoden 2 for seriously showing up Chrono Cross in that regard. :p

Forsaken Lover
05-10-2014, 02:59 AM
But CC looks and sounds way better.

Or so I hear.

For all the praise Suikoden 2 gets, never hear anything about its music.

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2014, 03:53 AM
But CC looks and sounds way better.

Or so I hear.

For all the praise Suikoden 2 gets, never hear anything about its music.

CC's cast largely feel like gimmicky filler, Suikoden does a better job of making at least half of the cast feel relevant. The music for the series is actually pretty awesome.

Z1Atr0OVY5Q

_f4eGQ9MIWM

HTr7LjzYkwM

Dwr5qSfVSzk

kzA5RDtag-A

Chrono Cross is heavy on philosophy and trying to logically define the consequences of time travel, Suikoden is largely about political intrigue, debates about the value of immortality, and watching history slowly unfold through regional conflict.

black orb
05-10-2014, 04:03 AM
>>> FF1, became obsessed with it and I guess it kind of ruined my life at some point too..:luca:

Shauna
05-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Suikoden as a whole has some really gorgeous tracks. Definitely up these as one of my favourite soundtracks for a game.

Skyblade
05-10-2014, 02:47 PM
I take some issues with the righting here and there

Speaking of taking issue with writing...

Carl the Llama
05-10-2014, 03:49 PM

With this knowledge in hand, I can easily pick FFVII, but only for the reason of this site, I don't think any game had an effect on me to such an extent I would choose it though, I enjoy games, but that's all they are to me.

Vyk
05-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Dungeons and Dragons

I could totally say this is the great grandfather of all your RPGs. But that's not why I mention it. My brothers were actually huge D&D nerds in their high school / young adult years. And they are about 14 years older than me. When I was 6, they started to jank me into their campaigns. I certainly didn't understand the rules. But I didn't have to. They held my hand, and all I had to do was say what I wanted, and if it was within the realm of possibility, they'd tell me what to roll and see if it happened

Of course Dragon Quest came along, and Final Fantasy 1, and like someone else I chose the path of the Genesis and was graced with Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, and Shining Force 2. Could not afford Phantasy Star. And eventually got a hand-me-down SNES, and Final Fantasy 4 and 6 which were amazing. And all of these were very impactful

But D&D set my imagination on fire. Watching an imaginative movie, or reading an imaginative story were one thing. Creating your own story, forging your own path, were unparallelled at the time. Set me on the path to dabble in art and writing, got me reading large books like nothing else could, and of course spurred my passion into the video game counter-parts. But I still enjoy my imagination, and how it was allowed to flow in good old Dungeons and Dragons. And now I miss the writing I used to do :(

black orb
05-11-2014, 06:27 AM
>>> Valkyrie Profile is another one that had a big impact, but is different from FF1..:luca: