PDA

View Full Version : VINYL FOREVER

Pete for President
05-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Nothing beats the depth and volume of a vinyl record. Been separated from my records for almost a year and I'm listening to a Lost in the Trees record right now. MP3's bleak in comparison even if this one had a hard time surviving the flight and is slightly bent because of it. Still the sound quality is astonishing.

Who collects/owns/regularly plays vinyl records? What record player do you have? Which album gets the most spins?

Mirage
05-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Saying nothing beats vinyl is a bit of an exaggeration. While it surely is better than an mp3, comparing it to an mp3 is kind of like comparing restaurant food to a McDonald's burger.

blackmage_nuke
05-06-2014, 01:14 PM
I cant tell the difference between a Vinyl and an audio file where someone has equalised down the treble and added some crackle. Though I will admit the art is generally better.

Mirage
05-06-2014, 02:03 PM
I wish DVD Audio had taken off. 48kHz and surround music, yes please. a DVD would have had room for 96kHz 24bit stereo as well, if you prefer that over surround. Wonder if the DVD audio players would have supported that, though.

Slothy
05-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Yeah, like Mirage said, comparing anything to mp3 is a bit silly. mp3 is basically digital audios bastard step child that took a few too many blows to the head and now has to wear a diaper lest it soil itself every time someone uses it.

I don't collect vinyl. I have a friend who did to some extent, but I don't have the money or space for yet another collection of things. Perhaps I'll give it a go sometime in the future when that changes (anyone want to buy a couple of thousand comic books?), but maybe not. Digital will always win for me in terms of efficient use of physical space, and that is really important to me as I get older and try to unclutter my life a bit.

And to be perfectly honest, if I'm going to spend more money on something music related, I'll probably just buy more drums and cymbals.

Shorty
05-06-2014, 02:17 PM
I was given a record player some years ago while living with an ex boyfriend who had a collection and we acquired some new vinyls together, but when we split I couldn't take it with me :( I've always wanted another since. When I finally settle down somewhere I'm going to start collecting again.

Also, I think people who listen to vinyls do it more for the novelty, but there are ways to hook it up to a system for the sound to be just fine.

Pete for President
05-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Saying nothing beats vinyl is a bit of an exaggeration.

But then, what does beat vinyl? :eek:

The stuff I download is usually only available in mp3 files (if I can find it at all), so I have very few albums in higher quality flac or anything.

Mirage
05-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Well there's this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio#Audio_specifications)

Of course, I can't tell you how much content there is on this format, but I'd say it is technically better. Also, I'm not able to consistently tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 and flac anyway so I don't really care.

Calliope
05-07-2014, 04:35 AM

Scissors.

I have a few autographed records/kickstarter reward vinyl releases, but no record player! One day.

The Man
05-07-2014, 04:50 AM
I have a collection of around 200 items (http://fools-gold.org/aaron/vinyl.txt) on vinyl. I would have even more if I hadn't been saving up for a move the last several months.

I rarely play my records; I usually rip them to my computer and then listen to the rips, which themselves almost always sound way better than the CDs. CDs in theory shouldn't be inferior to vinyl (the advantages of 24-bit and high sample rate are mostly placebo as far as I can tell) but the way they are mastered these days is so objectively terrible that vinyl almost always wins. The format does have a warmth that is frequently missing from digital recordings even in cases where the mastering is identical though.

I'm not sure which rip I listen to most frequently. Drudkh's Кров у наших криницях or Enslaved's Mardraum are probably high on the list, though (although I actually made my own remaster of the latter from the CD that probably gets even more play than the LP rip).

theundeadhero
05-07-2014, 05:59 AM
This

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/theundeadhero/Mobile%20Uploads/image-1.jpg

NeoCracker
05-07-2014, 06:05 AM
8track for life bitches.

Pete for President
05-07-2014, 06:09 AM
I have a collection of around 200 items (http://fools-gold.org/aaron/vinyl.txt) on vinyl. I would have even more if I hadn't been saving up for a move the last several months.

I rarely play my records; I usually rip them to my computer and then listen to the rips, which themselves almost always sound way better than the CDs. CDs in theory shouldn't be inferior to vinyl (the advantages of 24-bit and high sample rate are mostly placebo as far as I can tell) but the way they are mastered these days is so objectively terrible that vinyl almost always wins. The format does have a warmth that is frequently missing from digital recordings even in cases where the mastering is identical though.

I'm not sure which rip I listen to most frequently. Drudkh's Кров у наших криницях or Enslaved's Mardraum are probably high on the list, though (although I actually made my own remaster of the latter from the CD that probably gets even more play than the LP rip).

That's a solid number for a collection. Is it all metal? I remember the loudness war thread and I agree completely. Some records just get absolutely destroyed and unlistenable.

Scissors.

I have a few autographed records/kickstarter reward vinyl releases, but no record player! One day.

Thrift shops are your friend to get a fairly cheap vintage one : )

This

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/theundeadhero/Mobile%20Uploads/image-1.jpg

Vintage amps for the win.

I think my most played record is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon, with Arcade Fire's Funeral and Neon Bible as runner ups. My needle can't handle the bombardment of My Body Is A Cage and crunches like mad :(

The Man
05-07-2014, 06:12 AM
I'd say about 70% is metal. Probably 15% is prog and about 15% is other genres. But that's just a guess; I haven't tallied up each genre's hold in my collection. Not to mention a fairly large chunk of the metal also qualifies as prog.

theundeadhero
05-07-2014, 06:33 AM
I would guess Metallica: Ride The Lightning gets played the most, currently, but it has some competition from the Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Motley Crue, and some Beatles albums. Most played in the sense of all time would be Pink Floyd: The Wall, but I've also had it since 2000.