PDA

View Full Version : How do you play 4 Player Multiplayer games?

Dat Matt
05-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Consider the situation. You and 4 bros (or broettes if you are the ladies) are wanting to get a game of Halo 3. How do you arrange the game so that all people play? Do you do it in one room with all 4 player playing on 1-4 screens? Do you do it over the internet via Xbox live?

How do you typically play these sort of games which have the potential to be played on one console?

I ask because myself and Shauna tend to run through these sorts of games (Most recently Super Mario 3D world) together in the same room. I prefer playing games with people that are present.

Ayen
05-06-2014, 11:45 PM
All in one room. That's how I always did multiplayer with friends before we had all of this online stuff, and unless the person lives very far away that's the method I prefer.

Bolivar
05-07-2014, 03:56 AM
If we're playing co-op or local multiplayer it's always more fun to have them in person. But if you're going to go into online matches it usually is better to have a full screen for yourself for shooters like Halo.

The most fun multiplayer to me is always going to be that couch experience.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-07-2014, 05:00 AM
Halo is weird just because most times I've played it was with more 8 or more people. We'd have something like 4 TVs going at once with 2-3 people per tv. I've also done something similar with Super Smash Bros, though in that case we had two TVs in the same room just so everyone could be playing. We had a loser bracket tv and a winner bracket tv, and we'd just keep rotating based on who wins each match or something.

Honestly, I prefer having everyone in one room. It's more fun to be commentating and joking around with people while playing.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-07-2014, 09:21 AM
I have some fond memories of Star Wars: Jedi Outcast on the GameCube. When we would have family cookouts a few of my cousins would come in my room and we'd play local multiplayer.

I know some people don't like having the split screen because the person you're playing with can see you sneak up on them. I don't mind so much. It works in reverse as well.

Psychotic
05-07-2014, 09:36 AM
I prefer online. Not only because you get a bigger screen, but also if Steve is talking and I need to take a piss, I can gently place the headset down, leave, do what I gotta do and return to him still talking and none the wiser.

Pike
05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Oh god I remember doing this back in the day. All four of us in one room playing Halo. The "screen-looking" accusations truly ran wild.

NeoCracker
05-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Yeah, whenever possible Couch co-op is the way to go, though online is an acceptable enough alternative.

And I remember screen-looking accusations. Those were the days.

Kalevala
05-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I rarely even play 4 player multiplayer any more. The closest I get is when my friends and I binge on Nintendo 64 games every now and then. If I had to choose, though, it'd be through Xbox Live/online.

Dat Matt
05-07-2014, 01:11 PM
It is interesting too see that there is a divide between couch co-op and online. Couch co-op is definitely preferred for me. Its so much more satisfying to grief teammates when they are in the same room. I feel that you lose something when playing multiplayer games online. For random games of something though its dynomite.

Madame Adequate
05-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Couch co-op is definitely better, but online has convenience that makes up for a lot.

Pike
05-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Couch co-op, more like couch BRO-op.

(As an aside does EDF have a four player mode? If so, EoFF party at my place. ASAP.)

Vyk
05-08-2014, 12:24 AM
I don't play anything competitively. So anything that is just multiplayer and not co-op, is lost on me. Though for cooperative games, I much MUCH prefer to have them in the same room. Split screens can be done really well, especially these days with bigger TVs. Games like Resident Evil 5 or Hunted: Demon Forge, where they don't just split the screen. They keep the aspect ratio, and just put two same-size screens askew of one-another, with HUD info filling in the empty spaces on the sides. I don't trust the internet enough to have much fun playing long-distances, though when it works, it's alright. Seems very mechanical and impersonal though. I think the optimum route is probably local LAN when available. But it's pretty rare to get that set up. But it's awesome when you can. Everyone gets full screens, and is within hitting distance if they mess up :P

escobert
05-08-2014, 04:34 PM
my roommates and i are pc gamers so wejust play on our separate pcs!

Dat Matt
05-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Do you hook everything up together and play games in one big lan?

Cause that is pretty fun. I know PC games are a solo thing, but the multiplayer aspect on them is probably one of the best for our current market.

Iceglow
05-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Generally speaking, Paul has never once walked off to take a piss without me noticing. The lack of movement means I would wind up killing his ass and teabagging it for shits and giggles.

Back in the day, I used to do split screen multi-player all the time. Those were some funny nights, me a few mates, a case of beer and progressively worse gameplay from all of us. Though I fondly remember one shot weapons on Medal Of Honor Pacific and abusing the spawning locations to repeatedly spawn kill a person in what truly became the first time I can say I spent time with a friend "competing for a spawn kill" though not the last by any measure :D

These days, I prefer to play online, this way if I need a piss and Paul is ranting about how much he wants to lick a pony or something I can gently put my headset down and go for a piss and because I'm generally shit at games he's oblivious to the fact.

escobert
05-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Do you hook everything up together and play games in one big lan?

Cause that is pretty fun. I know PC games are a solo thing, but the multiplayer aspect on them is probably one of the best for our current market.

we haven't yet since everything we play together is online. but we've been thinking of trying a lan civ 5 game.

Dat Matt
05-08-2014, 11:15 PM
You're missing out. Some of my fondest memories when it came to Leauge is having 5 players sitting in a room cheering when we won a teamfight against the other players. It's a great experience especially for cooperateive play when everyone is present to enjoy the victories.

AssassinDX
05-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Nothing beats having friends round, cracking open some beers and playing some multiplayer games. I very, very rarely play online with strangers and only play with friends online when they're available for a quick session, we're of the age when kids, work and women are... a bit of an issue, so the days of catching the bus to each others' houses and spending all day doing nothing but gaming are long gone.

Dat Matt
05-09-2014, 07:26 PM
#Nostalgia