PDA

View Full Version : Hey Nerds! I Need Some Help!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Some serious help.

I fucking love comics/graphic novels. They are great. But I need moar. I need you to help me where to start to read more!

Here is what I've got so far.

Deadpool. Lots of it.
Ender's Game: the Graphic Novel
V for Vendetta
Stephen King's The Gunslinger
Serentity

Shorty
05-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Sin City, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, Watchmen, Locke & Key, Fables.

Out of any of those, read the Arkham Asylum one at the very least. The most amazing Batman comic I've ever read.

Jinx
05-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Watchmen!

Calliope
05-07-2014, 02:25 AM
I like graphic novels, but things other than superhero stuff. Anything by "Jason", John Porcellino or Adrian Tomine. Here's a list! (http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/lists/drawn-out-the-50-best-non-superhero-graphic-novels-20140505)

Webcomics by Mare Odomo, Kate Leth, Kate Beaton, Grant Snider or Noelle Stephenson are all ones I am fond of, too.

Shiny
05-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Walking Dead

Casey
05-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Berserk manga!

My favorite, where I got my avatar from. :D

Shorty
05-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Oh jesus christ, THE MAXX!

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/2/27002/516530-maxx_by_tinypen15.jpg

Del Murder
05-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Watchmen for sure. Every graphic novel fan has to read it. It's a rite of passage.

Walking Dead is also good. For superhero stuff, I absolutely love the artwork of Alex Ross. His style is beautiful. So I would recommend Marvels, Kingdom Come, and Justice from his work. Also Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is a classic.

If you like Spider-Man at all, the Ultimate Spider-Man series is a pretty fun read.

Shorty
05-13-2014, 02:46 AM
Today I discovered Hellblazer, and/or Constantine. It looks amazing! It also looks like they're making a tv show to premiere this fall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_(TV_series)).

Freya
05-13-2014, 02:49 AM
Fables! Seriously, what I've read is great. Lwl has read more so he can really testify but it's what telltales Wolf Among us is based off of and it's good.

Colonel Angus
05-13-2014, 04:55 AM
As Jinx & Del stated, Watchmen is great.

I'm starting to get into comics again, as I keep seeing all the movies my interest has piqued. I bought Cpt. America Winter Soldier last week but have only skimmed through it so far. But all I've heard is great things.

05-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Alright! So, Watchmen is definitely on the list.
As is Kingdom Come and The MAXX. The MAXX seems really interesting.

Oh. Sandman is also on my list of need to reads. I always forget about that.

Madame Adequate
05-25-2014, 01:10 AM
I was just about to say Sandman! The other big thing missing from this thread is Transmetropolitan. It is the best comic. If you only ever read one comic it should be Transmet.

Judge Dredd
Tank Girl
Preacher
Y: The Last Man
Maus (depressing as hell but absolutely amazing)
Empire

There's a superhero comic whose name I absolutely cannot remember right now but if I find it, I'll let you know.

05-25-2014, 01:17 AM
omg. Tank Girl. Yes. I totes forgot about Tank Girl.

Dat Matt
05-25-2014, 01:34 AM
I know very little about comic books and the like. I know more about Manga. I could recommend some of that if you're interested, The list you provided leans more towards western though.

Madame Adequate
05-25-2014, 01:44 AM
Oh I found the other one: Rising Stars.

05-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not very into manga, thanks though, Mr. Shauna. I will keep you in mind in case I do ever get a manga inkling in me.

Mkay. Transmet. Gottit.
Also, Rising Stars, wow. That looks freaking awesome.

Colonel Angus
05-25-2014, 02:03 AM
The Winter Soldier was great. Very different from the movie, but still carried the same themes.

escobert
05-25-2014, 02:26 AM
Transformer comics were the best. And GI Joe ;)

Shorty
05-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Alright! So, Watchmen is definitely on the list.
As is Kingdom Come and The MAXX. The MAXX seems really interesting.

I can't wait to hear what you think!

I've heard very good things about Transmetropolitan and Preacher, and Maus was on one of the greatest comics of all time lists I was looking at.

Sephiroth
05-25-2014, 07:56 PM
From Hell.

Perducci
05-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Transmetropolitan is great. WE3 is good for a short read, great artwork.

I hear a lot of good things about Nextwave. Haven't read too much of it myself, but what I have read I've enjoyed, planning on getting through it all soon.

06-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Well, so far I have been unsuccessful in locating Transmetropolitan or Rising Stars or Watchmen or Kingdom Come anywhere. But I am still on the hunt!

I did finally find the first of the Sandman though. And I am still expanding my Dark Tower and Deadpool collections as well.

I may need to resort to internet searching soon.

krissy
06-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Transmetropolitan
Y:the last man
I kill giants
The massive
Pretty deadly, its now in paperback for vol 1
Planetary

And frig you better get

Saga

Shorty
06-08-2014, 04:20 PM
I read my comics on my Kindle and I love it.

06-08-2014, 04:23 PM
I read my comics on my Kindle and I love it.

I want real books.

Colonel Angus
06-08-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm surprised Watchmen isn't @ a bookstore near you. Do you have a comics store near you? They usually carry collections/graphic novels. You might be able to find Transmetropolitan there, as I don't know if bookstores would carry that slightly more obscure title.

Of course Amazon has everything that's still in print.

06-08-2014, 07:26 PM
No, no legit comic store here. There is a 2nd and Charles that has a big selection of comics though. And apparently there is a pawn shop that has a comic room, I'm just not sure where it is at.

06-15-2014, 10:35 PM
I found a pawn shop that has a comic book room in the back!
And guess what I found back there?!
Volumes 1-3 of Transmetropolitan! I swiped them up. Along with Final Crisis, Volume 3 of Sandman, and Secret Invasions.

Time for me to get reading!