PDA

View Full Version : Life Hacks, or General Life Advice to Live Better

Shorty
05-07-2014, 06:16 AM
Life hacks are little tips and tricks used to make one's life better, usually by a small measure. It can be something as little as advice to keep your headphones from tangling, finding the most ripe avocado, or opening stupidly stubborn lids ranging to financial, relationship and "big stuff" advice. (find all of this stuff here (http://fuckyeahlifehacks.tumblr.com/).)

I found this blog post (http://zenhabits.net/simple-living-manifesto-72-ideas-to-simplify-your-life/) in doing some browsing a while ago, and I think it's some good advice that perhaps everyone could utilize to make their lives a little better.

Found any decent life hacks lately? Are there any you've found in the past that have helped change your life? Any advice you've adopted that has made your life easier since doing so?

Chemical
05-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Living a "better" life often involves changing a habit that you have identified as producing guilt, low self esteem, or an outcome you're unhappy with and asserting change is never easy and has no hacks.

To live a better life ultimately requires that you address a lengthy process:
1) most important self reflection: know yourself and identify what does a "better life" mean to you?
2) Setting goals to achieve this "better life" and identifying strengths and weaknesses or barricades and supports that are helpful/holding you back.
3) Education. Learn about your goal. For instance, maybe researching different diets or education options or spiritual guidance.
4) implement a REALISTIC plan of action and stick to it. Find an effective support system.
5) reasses. Are you meeting goals? Why/why not?
6) if you are meeting your goals are you experiencing the desired outcome of "better life" and reflect on why or why not.

No shortcuts to true long lasting outcomes.

Shiny
05-07-2014, 06:37 AM
That first link doesn't work, Shorty. :(

Shorty
05-07-2014, 06:37 AM
It's because of the filter :|

Calliope
05-07-2014, 06:52 AM
My five life hacks:

1) Listen to people.
2) Remember to say please and thank you.
3) Write down a list of important phone numbers/addresses, and keep it in your wallet and/or in a desk or somewhere that isn't an electronic device.
4) Cook in bulk and freeze mealsize portions for later - but wait for the food to be completely cooled before you put it in the freezer!
5) Remember that everyone is worried or insecure about something, and most people are a little self-involved - so don't worry too much about what others think of you or the "bad impression" you may create by being less than perfect (read: human).

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-07-2014, 08:25 AM
He who cuts his own firewood warms himself twice.

Miss Mae
05-07-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm still a big fan of holding a dustpan under a tap to help fill buckets. Buckets are a pain in the butt to try and get under a tap.

Chemical
05-07-2014, 11:05 AM
(My double post didn't post woops)

Anyways all that crap above being said life is so much better since I started to boil water in the kettle before pouring it in a pot to get a quick pot going.

Parker
05-07-2014, 11:16 AM
do not under any circumstances care about what you read on the internet

walk everywhere you can

save as much as you can, but don't become a miser

your job is not your life so do not make it so

blackmage_nuke
05-07-2014, 11:28 AM
If something itches put a bandaid on it so you wont scratch it until you tear your skin apart

Bubba
05-07-2014, 02:30 PM
When you have the hiccups, let all your breath out, drink water for 5 seconds whilst simultaneously pulling down on your right ear lobe.

It works every time and I have no idea why.

Quindiana Jones
05-07-2014, 02:35 PM
I prefer to inhale as deeply as I can and then drink as much water as I can simulataneously. Hold the breath for as long as poss, then let it out slowly. Hiccoughs solved. 99% effective.

Bubba
05-07-2014, 02:41 PM
I prefer to inhale as deeply as I can and then drink as much water as I can simulataneously. Hold the breath for as long as poss, then let it out slowly. Hiccoughs solved. 99% effective.

Pulling down your right ear lobe would make it 100% effective.

blackmage_nuke
05-07-2014, 02:44 PM
You dont need the water, after you exhale just make a swallowing motion with your throat and hold it for whatever the period between hiccups was or longer.

Mirage
05-07-2014, 05:55 PM
I just hold my breath. But hiccups is never really a problem for me anyway

Night Fury
05-07-2014, 06:38 PM
When I have the hiccups I just dip my head in a pool of lava.

Slothy
05-07-2014, 06:47 PM
When I have the hiccups I just dip my head in a pool of lava.

Not sure how helpful that is to those of us who haven't birthed dragons.

Shiny
05-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Lifehacks/advice I abide by:

1. Take yourself and life less seriously
2. Collect and retain your business cards - you may drop your phone again and lose certain connections even with backup assistant
3. It's not important what many people think about you because so many don't actually know you
4. Only care about what those close to you think, but still respect or try to respect others' opinions
5. Explore the untraveled road rather than the most traveled

Night Fury
05-08-2014, 07:05 AM
My advice though really.

Treat your body well. Be careful how you treat your body because once you're old..... oh booooy, you're gonna wish you could turn back the clock.

Chemical
05-08-2014, 10:29 AM
This:
<a href="http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/embarassing-lifehacks-that-are-actually-kind-of-brilliant?bffbdiy"> Embarrassing Lifehacks That Are Actually Kind Of Brilliant</a>

If you love me you will fix this >:(

Old Manus
05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
A five leg accumulator is five chances to lose your money. Bet singles.

Wolf Kanno
05-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Seriously, almost 20 posts and no one has posted this yet?

sTJ7AzBIJoI

Fonzie
05-08-2014, 07:45 PM
You can charge your iphone battery by placing it in the microwave wrapped in a plastic film. Since microwaves work via vibrating water molecules, your phone will be fine as long as it has no moisture at all, i.e. don't bring it out of the shower directly after this and try recharging it.

The waves from the microwave charge the protons in the Lithium by transferring heat energy in a more efficient manner, thus charging your phone in a matter of minutes! :)

I usually place mine in there for about 30 seconds; if you do it for to long you could possibly ruin the battery so make sure to look at the settings on your microwave before trying out this fun trick at home!