PDA

View Full Version : It's 85 degrees in here!

Ayen
05-07-2014, 11:01 PM
This heat is driving me crazy! One way or another our AC isn't blowing out air like it's supposed to so as a result our house is heating up. My room has always been the hottest of the bunch so naturally it's 85 degrees in here. 90 degrees outside. I'm about to put my shoes on and go downstairs where it's cooler because the fan isn't helping at all.

When was the last time your AC busted? What did you do to combat the heat?

~*~Celes~*~
05-08-2014, 12:45 AM
I don't know if this counts but in my house, it's an older house, so no central air, just window air conditioners.

The summer of '12 when I was pregnant with my son I was so miserable that we had to sleep in the living room on the futon because we didn't have air conditioning upstairs. The summer after that we got a portable air conditioner that we hooked up in our son's room and while it doesn't necessarily blow out cold air, it works very, very well at dehumidification which is also a godsend. This summer I will be having our second son in August, so I'm hoping that the dehumidification will be good enough for me because I will be downright miserable otherwise, being due in mid-august and all.

Jess
05-08-2014, 12:50 AM
I live in the UK. I've never known anybody to have AC in their house. I guess because generally we don't get mega hot weather...or maybe it's just the people I know!

If it gets too hot in our house , we just put a fan on.

Pumpkin
05-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Mine just got fixed a few weeks ago. It was broken for 7 months. Luckily we had a backup.

Shorty
05-08-2014, 03:25 AM
It's fucking like 75 degrees here and I'm dying.

Jiro
05-08-2014, 03:45 AM
We got great weather here :ffviwag:

Calliope
05-08-2014, 03:52 AM
Sorry to be a jerk, but 85 degrees sounds amazing to me. It was about 70 today and everyone was dressing lightly, but that's not warm enough for me!

Sephex
05-08-2014, 05:04 AM
88 in Chicagoland. Not really that bad to deal with since there isn't too much humidity. haven't been home since it got that high, so when I get back I am probably going to have to vent my place a bit.

Pike
05-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Up here where I am AC is for rich people pretty much - in fact I feel like I have to regularly remind people from other countries that not EVERYONE in the States has it. We are more concerned with having a good heater for the nine month winters (did I mention it snowed yesterday?) So I've never had to deal with the AC being broken because I have never had it.

That said I find everything over about ~75 F to be unbearably hot so if I had money you can bet I'd invest in it.

Ayen
05-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Sorry to be a jerk, but 85 degrees sounds amazing to me. It was about 70 today and everyone was dressing lightly, but that's not warm enough for me!

Wanna trade?

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 02:02 PM
85F? That sounds really pleasant. It gets to 100F+ here in the summer.

blackmage_nuke
05-08-2014, 03:50 PM
I dont use AC, just a fan and if that's busted then I drink a lot of fluids and take a lot of showers

Slothy
05-08-2014, 04:02 PM

I walk around in a T-shirt and jeans in weather as cold as -5°. That's 23 for those still lagging behind the rest of the developed world.

Slothy
05-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Most people I've met don't. Technically I probably walk around like that in much colder weather too, I just never check the weather forecast or a thermometer.

And above 68 or so I start getting uncomfortable. I was built for the cold.

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but it's just barely spring, Alayna. xD KC generally gets up between 100-110F with 100% humidity on any given day in the summer.
I know it's not summer there yet, but all these people saying these lovely, pleasant, mild temperatures are "too hot" for them is very confusing for me.

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm quite the opposite - I'm in a jacket as soon as we're under 20C basically.

Ayen
05-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but it's just barely spring, Alayna. xD KC generally gets up between 100-110F with 100% humidity on any given day in the summer.
I know it's not summer there yet, but all these people saying these lovely, pleasant, mild temperatures are "too hot" for them is very confusing for me.

We get cooler weather over here for most of the year, that's why.

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 04:42 PM
I know Tori; I was just being funny. :p

Ayen
05-08-2014, 04:46 PM
I know Tori; I was just being funny. :p

I can never tell anymore :(

Jiro
05-08-2014, 04:50 PM
There was snow in someplace just south of the Queensland border the other day. It's autumn and it's not supposed to snow there ever. Weather is going crazy. And Tones keeps telling us there is no such thing as climate change.

I like cold weather. I run hot so I tend to feel the cold less. I am a fucking human heater so all the ladies like me in winter too. :ffviwag:

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 04:53 PM
I even tolerate you in the summer months, Jiro. :aimkiss:

Ayen
05-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Really, Tori? It's balls hot in KCMO...

I'm not in KCMO! =P

Here in KCK it used to only get balls hot in the Summer months. Then we'd have cool Fall weather, a cold Winter, and beautiful Spring weather.

Now Winter pushes both Spring and Fall to one month and we skip over the warmth for four months of Summer, except on the occasion the weather feels like dropping. It's 100 today? Well, it's 70 degrees now. Now it's cold. Now it's hot. Screw you guys, I'm the weather. I CAN DO WHAT I WANT!

Pike
05-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Nothing wrong with different people preferring different temperatures. It's just barely above freezing here right now and I'm outside in a t-shirt. It feels absolutely perfect. Even got the A/C going in my car. But on the other hand warm weather is my weak point. Different strokes for different folks.

maybee
05-08-2014, 06:06 PM
So 29.44 C ?

That's not too warm

escobert
05-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I have never owned an ac :p

Jiro
05-09-2014, 02:57 AM
Nothing wrong with different people preferring different temperatures. It's just barely above freezing here right now and I'm outside in a t-shirt. It feels absolutely perfect. Even got the A/C going in my car. But on the other hand warm weather is my weak point. Different strokes for different folks.

I feel the cold a lot more at home, say, than I did when I was visiting you (not that it was that cold). But 15 degrees here could make me wear a jacket, whereas I've wandered around ski lodges in a t-shirt and jeans where it's like sub-0. Weird how that works.

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2014, 05:55 AM
Also I still wear a jacket at 30c (86f). It has to be about 35-40 before I take it off.

Shiny
05-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Last time the a.c. wouldn't work properly, I took a dip in our ice cold pool. All you need is an above ground pool, a bunch of trees blocking the sun, and a pool heater that isn't hooked up because it's too expensive to install. I actually like when it's 85 degrees in my room though. I pretend I'm in Hawaii or a sauna. Much better than it being super cold; which I hate.