PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever cheat?

Carl the Llama
05-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Up Down Left Right A & Start.

The easiest code to ever have graced a console.

So when you were younger (or even now) did you ever use any cheats on a game? I used a few exploits in my time (such as resetting the game when you didn't have all the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic) and when I found the internet I certainly gave the super sonic code a whirl, but that was pretty much the limit of my cheating.

My brother on the other hand was one who would always always check to see if there were any cheats even before trying the game, and it used to fuck me off to no end. One day he came in bragging he beat Kingdom Hearts 2 on Proud Mode... only he used cheats... it took a long time but I eventually convinced him it was much more satisfying to kill a boss at a low level/harder settings until today, when he dislikes anything if it is to easy.

I understand if you want to cheat to play a game, but you should at least try it before hand and wait till you get stuck before resorting to cheats.

blackmage_nuke
05-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Before when I wanted a particular screenshot in a specific part of a game and couldnt find one online I'd buff up my stats and playthrough making a lot of save states incase I ever wanted to come back and take another screenshot.

These days though I just use lets play videos to get my screenshots.

Forsaken Lover
05-08-2014, 12:38 AM
At a young age, around 10-12, my brother introduced me to GameShark.

I proceeded to use GS, and later CodeBreaker, for every game ever until about 2007. I originally beat FFVII, VIII, IX and X all with cheats, along with Xenosaga 1 and 2. In fact, I know the precise moment I stopped abusing cheats is 2007 because that is when Xenosaga 3 came out. It was the first game I pre-ordered and while I waited a day or two, I simply could not stand back and wait any longer for codes to come out. I beat the game fair and square.

Really, it was just a "pattern" I was stuck in. I loved beating everything so easy. However with the pattern broken, I went on to beat games fairly, includin gall the old games I had cheated at. Most of them weren't nearly as hard a I had been afraid of.

I still use cheats for MGS games because I play those for story, not gameplay, and I suck at action games.

However it is a crappy situation we are in. Apparently the advancement of technology means cheat devices are no longer a thing. So even if I wanted to, I couldn't just use GameShark on a really hard PS3 game. It's BS.

Skyblade
05-08-2014, 01:11 AM
I do cheat sometimes. Mostly to bypass grinding and/or luck based phenomenon. If I'm cheating, it's usually because there's some game mechanic that I find annoying that I'm trying to figure out a way around.

Vyk
05-08-2014, 01:30 AM
I don't think that's the Konami code. Is that some other famous code?

But I definitely have cheated. The duplication glitches in Oblivion. The item duplication from W-Item in FFVII. I usually try not to break games though. Those things mostly just gave me money and resources. Which I would get over time anyway. And I used them late in their respective games. So they basically just saved me time

Pumpkin
05-08-2014, 01:43 AM
Yes

Skyblade
05-08-2014, 03:06 AM
I don't think that's the Konami code. Is that some other famous code?

But I definitely have cheated. The duplication glitches in Oblivion. The item duplication from W-Item in FFVII. I usually try not to break games though. Those things mostly just gave me money and resources. Which I would get over time anyway. And I used them late in their respective games. So they basically just saved me time

That's the Level Select code from Sonic the Hedgehog.

The Konami Code is Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start.

Jiro
05-08-2014, 03:15 AM
The only game I ever really used cheats in was GTA and I never for a second convinced myself that it meant I was winning the game. It just made it more enjoyable for me, but then at that age I was mostly approaching it as a sandbox.

Depression Moon
05-08-2014, 03:21 AM
I think everyone used cheat codes back in the day. Hardly any games ave them nowadays but back in the SNES, N64, and PS2 days (this is when they were becoming less frequent) I used a lot. You really can't play the old GTA games without using cheats. That's where the whole fun of those games come from. I remember my brother got the infinite ammo cheat from copying a tips and tricks book out of the grocery store and a lot of other ones too. I can't think of any others right now, but I'm sure we used more than just those.
t

I didn't know KH II had cheat codes unless you meant he used a gameshark.

Wolf Kanno
05-08-2014, 03:54 AM
I honestly don't feel that using the Konami code for Contra should ever be considered cheating cause that game was just mean.... I've used a couple from time to time but largely grew out of it. I still like using cheat codes for GTA but that's because I play those games to vent aggression by murdering virtual people with tanks and exploding cars and even then it gets dull pretty quickly.

I think the only game I ever cheated to win was Judge Dread on the SNES cause I couldn't get past this one boss and I found a level skip code that allowed me to bypass him and finally finish the game.

Colonel Angus
05-08-2014, 03:57 AM
Guidebooks.

Game Genie was always just for fun, to mess w/ stuff.

Quindiana Jones
05-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Apocalypse featuring Bruce Willis for the PS1. Refused to play it without cheats. God damn, that game was fun.

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 08:40 AM
I was very guilty of using cheats in the Sims, so I could be rich and build outrageous mansions and never have to go to work.

I also enjoyed using cheats in AOEIII, because driving around and crushing empires in a monster truck brought me a lot of happiness.

Bubba
05-08-2014, 03:59 PM
I was definitely guilty of this as a kid. I used to scour Super Play magazine for cheats on all my SNES games. The ones for Super Start Wars I remember being particularly helpful.

The last ones I remember using were for San Andreas. But yeah, it was only for trouts and giggles.

Mirage
05-08-2014, 04:32 PM
I think I only really use cheats in sandbox games. That stuff is so fun.

Well, there have been cases where i use cheats in other games too, but it's not very often.

Dat Matt
05-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Howdoyouturnthison?

Cheesesteakjimmies

Marco

Polo

Ageis

Mirage
05-08-2014, 06:04 PM
iamadirtycheat

I forgot which game that was for, but i used it a lot.

Ayen
05-08-2014, 06:55 PM
I used cheats for a lot of games. I wouldn't have seen the Monster Rancher ending if I didn't use cheats from Code Breaker on it. I had a lot of fun playing Enter the Matrix when I used their cheat codes. I just like feeling invincible.

Bubba
05-08-2014, 07:21 PM
IGOTP1NK8CIDBOOTSON

Shauna
05-08-2014, 08:57 PM
IGOTP1NK8CIDBOOTSON

I remember using this one. Good times.

Straight to the Queen, every time.

Jinx
05-08-2014, 08:59 PM

This. I will use the hell out of cheats if I'm not really doing anything! The most fun is having a gazillion dollars in the Sims in building a sweet ass house.

Skyblade
05-08-2014, 09:01 PM

This. I will use the hell out of cheats if I'm not really doing anything! The most fun is having a gazillion dollars in the Sims in building a sweet ass house.

The house building was by far the best part of The Sims, in my opinion, so most of my Sims gameplay consisted of precisely this.

Tigmafuzz
05-08-2014, 09:03 PM
If it makes things more enjoyable, than hell yeah I'll cheat. In most cases it's only after I've already finished the game, though. Usually gameshark/armax codes for making characters huge or playing as a floating chair in a fighting game or whatever.

Jinx
05-08-2014, 09:22 PM

The house building was by far the best part of The Sims, in my opinion, so most of my Sims gameplay consisted of precisely this.

Agreed! I've only ever played Sims games on PS2, so I'd hurry up and get done with the first house so I could play free play.

Sephiroth
05-08-2014, 09:30 PM
I don't cheat. I am the cheat. Give me a controller and the world kneels before me.

Mercen-X
05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Every time. Sometime later, I'd come back and play through the game without the cheats just to see if I could. I originally used debug mode to beat Sonic 2, but I was able to beat it later without the cheat. Recently having gotten my NES and getting SMB2 working again, I used a walkthrough to locate all of the jumpdoors so beating the game only took a half-hour (I still died a lot). I was starting to consider ordering a Game Genie online in order to beat Twin Eagle, but I recently beat it without.

I've more than usually thought of cheats as easter eggs as like using them just to see the effects, like the codes for Jak Frontier. If I can use the code to beat the game, I will, but I'd never brag about completing a game unless I could do it code-free. I used the unique save mechanic of Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 in order to beat a slew of games I had never played before. I had only actually reached the second boss on Sword of Vermillion (don't remember if I beat him or simply put it off), but I beat Echo and other games simply by exploiting the quicksave feature.

Big D
05-08-2014, 11:26 PM
I regularly cheated on old Master System games, but generally only after I'd managed to beat them fairly. Back in those days, I had to figure out a lot of the cheats on my own or by word-of-mouth. James Bond: The Duel becomes quite fun with unlimited lives.

In later console generations, it was much the same: I'd cheat for fun after being the game fairly. One exception was Driver 2. The final mission in the original Driver was already insanely tough (get the President's limo to safety on the streets of New York, in the rain, while homicidal mafia and police cars try to ram you off the road), and was borderline exhausting to complete without resorting to cheats. I only got Driver 2 as a rental, and my time and patience for the last mission were both short. I ended up using the 'unlimited health' cheat, and even then it was still a challenge to chase a damaged helicopter across Cuba while driving a tank-like 1950s sedan.

The cheats for Star Trek: Invasion are fantastic. One-shotting a Borg cube? It's a good feeling.

Madame Adequate
05-09-2014, 12:26 AM
If I've not finished a game I don't tend to cheat, with two exceptions. 1 - Some part is particularly bullshit and I just cannot get past it and 2 - I'm not liking the gameplay but do like the story or setting or something.

Once I've finished a game though yeah full on, do whatever to mix things up, create new possibilities, all that jazz.

metagloria
05-09-2014, 12:34 AM
I didn't play an NES game growing up without Game Genie. Most of my Sega Genesis games too. Only used Gameshark a few times (looking at you, FF Tactics...); by the PS era I was good enough (and games were easy enough) that cheating wasn't necessary.

Aulayna
05-09-2014, 01:46 AM
I used cheat codes a lot on Sonic the Hedgehog, I loved playing in debug mode and just building my own levels and things. I can't really think of anything else I used codes on other than maybe Lemmings and passcodes, and Worms. Because Worms was more fun the more destruction you could cause! Oh and I used cheatcodes for second playthroughs of Descent and Descent 2 just to get infinite ammo and stuff.

I also used them on the early GTA games up until Vice City, because lets face it, those games were way more fun that way.

I did get an Action Replay cart for the PSone, but it bricked my PSone. Thought it was just coincidental but I got another PSone and it bricked that too - didn't even get as far as using the thing, as soon as the console was turned on with the cart in the back, bricked.

Command & Conquer: Tiberium Sun was the first game I modded. To get new units and stuff, was pretty dull though.

It's a shame more games don't include these types of codes anymore. Or in the case of Saints Row The Third, they just give you godmode as paid DLC!

Dat Matt
05-10-2014, 12:19 AM
In Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn, they offered codes to you in the "Sonic World" stage you could use to get into the debug modes. I used to build a fortress of points balls around sonic so he could bounce off them and rack up points, The intention was to see how many points I could get before the game kicked him out of the points trap, or crashed. It normally crashed which was hilarious