PDA

View Full Version : Let's Watch Teen Dramas

Pumpkin
05-08-2014, 06:46 AM
So this is an idea I had, since we're branching out on our Let's Play's to also include movies and books, which I have very much enjoyed.

Teen Dramas are awful and a pretty big guilty pleasure of mine, but they're very fun and easy to poke fun at because they are so absurd and dramatic. So would anybody be interested in a Let's Watch of this type of show?

It doesn't have to be exclusively Teen Dramas, but could also be shows like Desperate Housewives. If you have any suggestions for a terrible drama you would like to poke fun at without having to watch, feel free to offer some suggestions.

Here are some ideas I've had so far:
One Tree Hill (since I'm watching it now anyway)
Gossip Girl
Beverly Hills 90210
Desperate Housewives

As for shows I haven't watched but would be willing to watch:
Dawson's Creek
The Secret Life of the American Teenager
Melrose Place

So feel free to suggest or pick among that list. It has to be netflix available so I can take screencaps and whatnot.

Calliope
05-08-2014, 06:47 AM
The OC, duh. AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL is so fascinating to me. Full size lockers for stuffing nerds into! Factions of jocks and nerds and popular people! The prom! Football games where everyone cares for some reason! Hot foreign guybrarians like Giles! AMERICA~

Pumpkin
05-08-2014, 06:48 AM
The OC isn't on Netflix :(

Calliope
05-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Not a drama, but Saved By The Bell? Mostly I am just trying to hype this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dS529CgyXg&noredirect=1).

PS - I would hella watch Dawson's Creek again, or as I like to call it, Pretty White Kids with Problems~

Freya
05-08-2014, 07:09 AM
I need to finish gossip girl. Before shion spoils it for me Haha

I'll have to look on Netflix on what's there to guilty pleasure watch.

Jinx
05-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Gossip Girl is a fantastic train wreck.

You know, the first season is actually pretty good (or at least it was when I was a 16-year-old).

Pumpkin
05-08-2014, 08:22 AM
So far we have a vote for Dawson's Creek and 2 Gossip Girls, one to troll Kaycee :greenie:

Might actually be fun to watch now that I know who Gossip Girl is. See how different things come across.

Fynn
05-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Hey, Desperate Housewives is a way awesome show! It's more often funny than dramatic, I think.

Pumpkin
05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
It was funny as well, but come on you know there was some absurd drama in there.

Miss Mae
05-08-2014, 09:21 AM
I don't watch a lot of these sorts of shows. I watched Gossip Girl while I was painting for a few months there because it was such easy to consume trash and I liked Chuck Bass a lot, but other than that I generally avoid them. I'd still read a Let's Watch of these sorts of things if you did one shion, but I don't really have a preference as to which you do.

Jinx
05-08-2014, 09:32 AM
I say Gossip Girl, but I'm with Mae. I'd read whatever you do, because teen dramas are horrible and have plenty of fodder for a Let's Watch.

Pumpkin
05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
I won't have access to my computer tomorrow (later today) so I'll see if we get any more suggestions, but so far its looking like Gossip Girl!

blackmage_nuke
05-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Everyone watch Popular. I need people with which to discuss it

Pumpkin
05-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Before we decide on one, I've made a fun little list of common themes that most teen dramas have. Feel free to add in your own. As the show goes on, we will see which of the themes it has and how long it takes to have them.

***Please don't spoil anything from any show yet, since we don't know for sure which we will be doing and we don't want to spoil it for anyone. So don't say things like "Oh yeah, I remember that plot line in the OC between x and y". But you can comment on how often you see it or if you think its common or stuff like that, so long as you avoid specifics.

Teen Drama Themes:

Someone will cheat on someone. Usually happens many times throughout the show
There will be a love triangle
Someone will have a drug problem
The parent themes:

There will be a dead parent
There will be an uninvolved/detached parent
There will be an involved but bad parent
There will be a normal parent who will be regarded as a great parent for actually being involved in their child's life
A parent will at some point become irrelevant

There will be a story line involving unknown family members
At least one character will end the show completely different from the person they started as
At least one of the main cast will be gone by the end of the show
Two people will try to declare their love, but will keep getting interrupted
Two people will be about to start something only to have someone waltz in and become a romantic interest for one of them
They'll go back to their old high school even though they aren't in high school anymore
At least one of them will find absurd amounts of success not long after graduating high school
Their plans to go to colleges all over the country or oversees will fall flat and they will stay in the same area with the same people
There will be a "loser" who becomes one of the popular kids
Someone has an STD
Someone has an pregnancy scare

Bonus points for an actual pregnancy

Someone has an eating disorder
Someone is a self-harmer
Someone is sexually assault
Someone comes out and then struggles with their sexuality

Jinx
05-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Someone has an STD
Someone has an pregnancy scare
Someone has an eating disorder
Someone is a self-harmer
Someone is sexually assault
Someone comes out and then struggles with their sexuality

Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

Ayen
05-08-2014, 01:06 PM
For more teen dramas consult The CW.

Freya
05-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Im thinking gossip girl may be a great one to do. It's so scandalous and I need to finish it....

Maybe we should make it like 2 episodes a week or something. Some achedule like that

Freya
05-09-2014, 02:59 AM
So this is what is on netflix under teen

http://i.imgur.com/Ue02ds5.png
http://i.imgur.com/lsObWmE.png
http://i.imgur.com/Z5qy9Js.png
http://i.imgur.com/np0PbaS.png

noxious.sunshine
05-09-2014, 04:33 AM
I seriously just attempted to click on one of those. lol

Party of 5 should be on there.

And Degrassi.

And the Ultimate Bad of Teen Dramas- Edgemont. lmfao

Pumpkin
05-09-2014, 04:36 AM
6teen ahaha. That show is great.

Also, I will be going with Gossip Girl! I'll post it up tomorrow or tonight if I can't sleep and I'll link it here. If anyone else wants to cover another one (like OTH so I have someone to talk to about it), then that might be fun too! If not, depending on how the GG one goes, I might just pick up another one from this list whenever I finish that one.