Mirage
05-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Expert. That's what I was raised on.

Karifean
05-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Expert. Love that customizeability.

WildRaubtier
05-08-2014, 05:47 PM
For the powergamer, standard has more nodes.

So standard, because I always dream of having more time than sense.

Mirage
05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
The expert grid has enough stats to always crit for 99999 and always evade every attack from every enemy in the game, and 9999 hp is sufficient to survive any attack with other stats maxed. Not needing to use break hp/mp limit auto abilities allows you to get other auto abilities that ultimately are just as good, or better. break MP limit is of course redundant because both yuna and lulu get one mp cost on their ultimate weapons anyway, allowing 999 casts for yuna and 499 for lulu due to her magic booster passive.

So, the expert grid is, as the name implies, for the true experts of the game.

Neptunia
05-08-2014, 06:25 PM
I went for expert, mostly because I never beat the PS2 version on it. Also not sure if my party was overpowered for a bit or if expert just has more of damage boosting nodes on it.

Mirage
05-08-2014, 07:14 PM
untouched, they are about the same, but you can switch paths more easily i hear, grabbing more str nodes on characters that aren't meant to have a lot of strength. The main difference comes in flexibility in who you want to make into what, and the total stats you can get after erasing every node that isn't +4 to a stat and turning it into a +4 stat node.

Neptunia
05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
ah so I was just a little overpowered for a little bit. I blame that on going back as far as the top of mi'hen high road after Ject spheres then changing my mind. after all 4K damage a hit against seymor in the first fight is a bit over powered.

Sephiroth
05-08-2014, 09:32 PM
The expert grid has enough stats to always crit for 99999 and always evade every attack from every enemy in the game, and 9999 hp is sufficient to survive any attack with other stats maxed. Not needing to use break hp/mp limit auto abilities allows you to get other auto abilities that ultimately are just as good, or better. break MP limit is of course redundant because both yuna and lulu get one mp cost on their ultimate weapons anyway, allowing 999 casts for yuna and 499 for lulu due to her magic booster passive.

So, the expert grid is, as the name implies, for the true experts of the game.

Except you go for as much as possible.

Mirage
05-08-2014, 09:36 PM
I don't :p. You might, though.

magemasher
05-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Expert pretty much everytime since my second playthrough. I like to "jack of all trades" Kimahri and later on Yuna, though it's easy to take a wrong turn.

Madame Adequate
05-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Expert, without a doubt. It seems to the point that if someone really loves X you know they had Expert as an option and those who really hate it didn't.

Rostum
05-09-2014, 02:42 AM
When playing through on the PS2 version I'd use Expert Grid. But this time on PS3 I just went with Standard Grid, and I was still way over powered without grinding at all... Not really interested in Dark Aeons and Penance though.

Jiro
05-09-2014, 02:45 AM
I use Expert and then baulk at the flexibility and tend to follow mostly linear paths. I duck off on occasion but there is just so much freedom and I don't want to break my characters D:

Rocket Edge
05-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Expert. Love that customizeability.

AssassinDX
05-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Expert. Trouble is I've made Lulu next to useless, but Wakka is a machine with the right blitzball as a weapon.

Mirage
05-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Wakka and auron were the hardest hitters for most of my HD playthrough. That might have been because I did some funny stuff with Tidus so he started lagging behind on strength, being unable to oneshot those wolf and lizard type enemies like he is supposed to, and instead wakka grew strong enough to deal with both birds and wolves/lizards. That, of course, lead to him getting even stronger because ended up not swapping tidus in for "his" enemies anymore.

All my battles would basically boil down to rikkusteal wakkattack and auron-smash

I really don't remember auron being as lol as he was this time. He was capping out damage at 9999 before i even reached zanarkand, and those weren't even criticals. Wakka was still doing 3-4k at that point and tidus was at like 2500

Ayen
06-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Expert, without a doubt. It seems to the point that if someone really loves X you know they had Expert as an option and those who really hate it didn't.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to break that formula, friend. Pretty sure I played the game on standard.