PDA

View Full Version : Calliope's Food Review Thread

Calliope
05-09-2014, 05:13 AM
El Spuuko works for the head office a hippie supermarket chain here in town. Often vendors try to promote their wares and get them picked up and distributed throughout the chains - which means that he often gets to bring home free samples of expensive, organic, vegan/gluten free stuff. Some of it's really weird, and some of it is delicious! There's enough of it that I thought I would start a thread, if not a blog.

Free Stuff I Ate Recently:

http://www.veggiemama.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/citrus-cucumber.png

Cucumber flavoured otter pops? Okay, I'll give it a go - seems like it could be a refreshing summer treat for days where I stand on the rooftop of my hipster apartment, sporting bermuda shorts and throwing paper darts at people in the street who complain that it's "too hot". Made with cucumber, mint, spinach, lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice and agave - which seems a lot better than the high fructose corn syrup and chemically nonsense in other ice blocks!

Cutting the tip of the packet reminds me of how many of these I used to eat as a young sprog - lemonade, cola and orange were my favourite flavours. This seems like a bit more grown-up, although you probably couldn't tell just by looking at it. My first bite...oh god, I hate cucumbers and somehow, even with all this other stuff in it, it's really cucumbery - I feel like I'm slurping the dregs of someone's unwashed vegetable drawer. It kind of grows on you, and I suspect it might be nice if you put it in a glass and poured gin over it, but...ugh. Points for effort, but that's about it. There are still two more flavours in the box so maybe one of those will be a bit more palatable for me!

CUCUMBER NONSENSE - 2/5 STARS

http://www.trbimg.com/img-52b1fa83/turbine/la-dd-sriracha-kettle-chips-launch-20131218-001/525

So I opened these and basically ate them all in one sitting - they are fantastic! Good crunch, no weird MSG-induced hyper crashing chemical warfare or powdery orange fingertips to be had here. I think Lay's has a wavy kind, but just get these instead, you won't regret it. The heat is very subtle, a little sweet, and builds as you eat more of them, and I can safely say that these will replace barbeque chips in our household. The next day I was sad because I ran out, but then Spuuky got me another packet :love:

I want to go out and buy ten packets and give them to everyone, they are great great great.

SRIRACHA KETTLE CHIPS - 5/5 STARS

SPUUKY - 10/10 STARS

Jess
05-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Those Kettle Chips sound delicious. I bet they'd be amazing with some sour cream & chive dip. :jess:

Calliope
05-09-2014, 03:28 PM
The ice block did look good, and I'd probably still buy them over something like otter pops, it was just an odd flavour to me.

The kettle chips are in stores now - they've recently launched a bunch of flavours like maple bacon, spicy thai and cheddar beer. I actually went to the supermarket and looked for some last night while picking up some vegetables, but they didn't have any! I think they're still rolling them out.

Shorty
05-09-2014, 04:35 PM
The flavors described in the garden pop sounds like a dream to be melted into a gin on the rocks. Too bad it sounds like it wasn't pleasant :(

Calliope
05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Jinx, as mentioned I've got two more flavours to try out - I think I'll really like one of them and the other one strikes me as bizarre. We'll see!

Shorty - I think it would be worth trying with gin, because then the flavours wouldn't be so strong? I'd encourage you to give it a go if you like cucumber - in fact, I'll probably try the remaining one of that flavour with gin myself and post an update :D

You guys, I've tried so much weird and great stuff, I should have started this ages ago!