PDA

View Full Version : This word...

Mercen-X
05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
I can't think of it. I though the word was troglodyte but that apparently means cave-dweller. The word I'm looking for implies that a person "has their hands in many pots" or rather they delve into many projects, take interest in many subjects, and discuss many topics but never really focus or excel in any one thing. This term is considered an insult by those with practical careers.

It would certainly help if I could remember where I picked it up. I could swear I heard it said once on Simpsons to describe Lisa, but I may be wrong. Anyone? Anyone?

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Are you sure you didnt see the person not focusing on one task at a time and then someone else called them a troglodyte (which is a legitimate insult) and then you associated that word with that meaning even though they were insulting them for being antisocial shutins?

I can only remember Lisa being called a PC thug.

Tigmafuzz
05-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Dilettante? Sciolist? You might be thinking of neophyte, since that's a word that's often misused as an insult.

Mercen-X
05-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Diletante. I'm pretty sure that's it. My definition was pretty badly off.

Thank you. That was gonna make me crazy.

I would say neophyte as an insult is not misused. It's like the insult query "what are you new?"

Jiro
05-15-2014, 12:30 PM
I think potfingerer is also acceptable.

Tigmafuzz
05-17-2014, 05:12 AM
Actually, I don't know if fingering pots is acceptable anywhere. Except maybe Australia.

LocoColt04
05-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Everything is acceptable in Australia. They have giant water spiders, after all. This guy fingers eight pots at a time.