PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger ~ The Trial Scene

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Ah the famous trial scene in CT, as many of you know, your actions with Marle at the Fair will determine how the trial goes for Crono, you can both be a good Samaritan or you can totally makle Crono into an asshole with some actions.

The question I wish to ask is do you try your best to clear Crono'sname or do you try to be the bad boy we all know Crono to be?

VeloZer0
05-10-2014, 04:19 PM
There is no option to get the fair done as quickly as possible to move on to the way cooler parts of the game. ;)

Psychotic
05-10-2014, 04:26 PM
I had no idea I'd be put on trial and as such I was a total dick to people. Oops!

krissy
05-10-2014, 05:12 PM
didnt even know this affected the trial

Mirage
05-10-2014, 05:23 PM
I tried to not be guilty until i found out that it doesn't actually change anything.

Pumpkin
05-10-2014, 05:31 PM
I was not guilty but apparently I ignored a little girl and her cat.

What kind of jerk stuff can you do around the fair that I didn't do?

Del Murder
05-10-2014, 08:30 PM
It was pretty cool the first time through to find out that actions at the very beginning affected things. I was unable to swing it for Crono the first time through because I was too mean to Marle, but since then I try to do everything in my power to make him innocent. Don't you get some free stuff for doing better?

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2014, 10:01 PM

You can eat the old man's lunch, try to sell Marle's pendent, if you try to leave while Marle is buying candy and taking forever she makes a comment about you acting like a kidnapper, if you grab the pendant before speaking to Marle after bumping into each other... I think that is everything but yes the verdict changes depending on how many good deeds or jerk actions you take.

Hiroyuki Ito designed this part of the game cause he thought the idea of rigged trial was too boring and wanted to make the player feel more important.

Skyblade
05-10-2014, 10:52 PM

You can eat the old man's lunch, try to sell Marle's pendent, if you try to leave while Marle is buying candy and taking forever she makes a comment about you acting like a kidnapper, if you grab the pendant before speaking to Marle after bumping into each other... I think that is everything but yes the verdict changes depending on how many good deeds or jerk actions you take.

Hiroyuki Ito designed this part of the game cause he thought the idea of rigged trial was too boring and wanted to make the player feel more important.

Not even close to everything.

There are seven jurors. Each is tied to an event.

- If you eat the old man's lunch, one juror will vote you guilty.
- If you run off while she's buying candy, another juror will vote you guilty.
- If you grab the pendant before speaking to Marle, another juror will vote you guilty.
- If you ask Marle to sell her pendant to Melchior (or say that you were attracted to her money in the trial), another juror will vote you guilty.
- If you do not rescue the girl's kitty, another juror will vote you guilty.
- If you speak to the little girl before rescuing her kitty, another juror will vote you guilty (this one is a sneaky jerk who catches many people unawares).
- If you deny being the one who bumped into Marle during the trial, another juror will vote you guilty.

There is no "trying" to clear Crono's name, it's completely up to you exactly what each juror does.

Also, the verdict does influence things. If you are innocent, you'll get delivered a care package. The more jurors vote innocent for you, the more Ethers it will contain. If they all vote you innocent, you get 5 Ethers, I believe.

On the other hand, if you are voted guilty, you miss two extra lines of dialogue when being transferred to the dungeons. For this reason, speedrunners make sure to be guilty because it saves time (Chrono Trigger, in addition to being one of the best games of all time, is also considered one of the best RPGs for speedrunning by the speedrunning community, because it is one of the very few where you are optimizing for speed almost constantly throughout the run).

blackmage_nuke
05-11-2014, 02:09 AM
- If you speak to the little girl before rescuing her kitty, another juror will vote you guilty (this one is a sneaky jerk who catches many people unawares).

I've always wondered what that guy's problem was.

Anyway I work to be as innocent as possible so I get the extra goodies when I get to my prison cell

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2014, 02:50 AM
Not even close to everything.

I got more than half of them. :p

Del Murder
05-11-2014, 05:03 AM

Same here. I never knew that one!

Skyblade
05-11-2014, 05:29 AM

Same here. I never knew that one!

It took me YEARS to find. I make such a habit of talking to every NPC. I only stumbled across it by luck while doing speedruns one day (I was practicing the ideal route to reach Spekkio while he was still a frog, without missing out on encountering rare enemies).

maybee
05-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Usually try and make him innocent, the plot-twist when Chrono is innocently put in prison just feels like a bigger twist and makes you know that something is rotten with the kingdom.

imo, it just makes more sense with the story.

Though making Chrono a bit of a douche and doing things like steal food is interesting too.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-12-2014, 05:07 AM
When the time came I wanted to be good guy Crono. It wasn't until after the fact that I figured out I wasn't supposed to do certain things.

I didn't think I was actually taking a guy's lunch, I just thought it was the equivalent of a treasure chest.

I took off when Marle was looking for candy, I thought the story wouldn't advance unless I moved (lol).

In subsequent playthroughs I tried to do everything right for the trials needs, even though I don't think it changes much except some dialogue.

NeoCracker
05-12-2014, 11:17 PM
I can't help but think a part of the purpose of the trial scene was to poke a bit of fun at some of the silly things about JRPG's in general, like looting random shit. In this case a guys lunch.

theundeadhero
05-13-2014, 08:30 PM
I always eat his lunch because it refills your HP/MP and it's right outside Gato, which is the best place to farm tokens for the tent of horrors.