PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger: SNES vs. DS

Forsaken Lover
05-10-2014, 09:28 PM
It's primarily a question of translation and story for me.

I've heard some say the DS version tells the story better.

True? False? I figure I might try this game since FFVI, the other hallowed and sacred classic JRPG, was a bust.

Pike
05-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Super Mario RPG was the best RPG on the SNES so be sure to play that, too.

Fynn
05-10-2014, 09:45 PM
DS. There can be no doubt.

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2014, 09:56 PM
I honestly didn't feel that the new translation added anything to the game. There was some minor censorship in the original English translation but it failed pretty hard on covering up the issue. It wasn't like V or VI where the new translation added some great characterization to the cast. I actually think the English translation is better than the Japanese one to be honest.

The new content isn't bad, but again I don't feel it adds as much like other extra content in the series, so oddly enough, though I generally prefer the re-localized ports of other SE games, I still feel the original is the best, hell I don't even like the animated cutscenes that the Chronicles port added in.

Skyblade
05-10-2014, 10:55 PM
I like the DS port better, if only because it lets me play it on my DS/3DS.

That said, we can all agree that the Playstation port was by far the worst.

maybee
05-11-2014, 10:26 AM
SNES

Couldn't handle the DS translation, imo it just made the game feel a bit dry.

Forsaken Lover
08-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Sorry to bump this thread but I saw no reason to make a new one to ask a related question.

The DS translation has its strong points. It's more comprehensible, and more accurate to the original (Frog's and Magus's characters were badly distorted by Woolsey's translation). But whoever did the new translation just doesn't have Woolsey's ear for the language.

Is this true?

After years and years of waiting I'm finally going to play this legendary game andI just want to make sure I get the ultimate experience.

Is this Magus fellow another Kefka? A lot of people felt Kefka was helped by Woolsey's translation into becoming a lovable baddie. Same thing happen there?

NeoCracker
08-26-2014, 01:07 PM
The DS translation is noticeably better. However both translations the characters are pretty much the same, the DS's dialogue just adds more flavor to the characters. Really though, it's not so big a difference I feel it will matter to much.

The use of the second screen for displaying your menu, however, fixed the single biggest issue with Chrono Trigger. Where your menu would jump to the top and bottom of the screen at times.

Extra content is also nice, but eh. Nothing all that big.

Edit: And it's best to not compare Magus and Kefka like, at all. :p

Wolf Kanno
08-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Sorry to bump this thread but I saw no reason to make a new one to ask a related question.

The DS translation has its strong points. It's more comprehensible, and more accurate to the original (Frog's and Magus's characters were badly distorted by Woolsey's translation). But whoever did the new translation just doesn't have Woolsey's ear for the language.

Is this true?

After years and years of waiting I'm finally going to play this legendary game andI just want to make sure I get the ultimate experience.

Is this Magus fellow another Kefka? A lot of people felt Kefka was helped by Woolsey's translation into becoming a lovable baddie. Same thing happen there?

In the SNES version of the script, Frog spoke with an obnoxious but endearing Shakespearean accent which was only made more humorous because no one from his time period spoke like that. In the DS it is considerably toned down but they actually rewrote his era to speak in a similiar manner. The accent made him come across muh more polite and formal whereas his original Japanese dialogue was meant to make him sound very rude and bitter. Honestly the polite angle I felt worked better for him.

Magus' dialogue in the SNES version just made him a bit more witty and able to crack a bad joke occasionally making him come across as someone who probably enjoys being bad, while the original script made him super serious and never break from his quiet rage.

Neither is really bad and even the DS script isn't as faithful to the Japanese as some fans would want but I don't feel CT was really lost in translation like some of the FFs were.

Freya
08-26-2014, 04:36 PM
I like the DS version merely because I can play it where ever. They are both great though!