PDA

View Full Version : Do you get attached to specific physical copies of games?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-12-2014, 01:53 AM
And I don't mean if you break a game or lose a game.

Here's a scenario fitting for our forum:

You have a black label version of Final Fantasy VII. A friend comes over with the exact same game and you sit them next to each other.

A little time goes by and when you go to pick up your game you can't figure out which one is yours. They are both identical, black label copies with no scratches or marks.

Would the idea of your friend taking your copy of the game home bother you? There's no way of knowing, but would you be sad knowing that the version left at your house wasn't the one that was sitting on your shelf for years before?

Scotty_ffgamer
05-12-2014, 02:13 AM
If everything is identical about them (case was in same condition, discs were scratch-free, etc), I wouldn't care that much. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened with Super Smash Bros parties friends and I had a couple of times. I do remember leaving one of those with someone else's Gamecube controller somehow (which meant someone else threw it in my bag). The only physical copy of something I probably really have any attachment to is my copy of FFVIII. It is possible I'd get sad at the thought of somehow going home with a copy of that game that wasn't my own.

Shorty
05-12-2014, 05:49 AM
Depends on the game. I have a few that have been given to me by others and I would loathe to part with them. I also don't care if they are the exact same as someone else's copy, I want my own copy, damnit!

edit: after thinking about it, yes, I would be bothered if I knew I had an imposter copy instead of my own.

Mercen-X
05-12-2014, 08:32 AM
If everything is identical about them (case was in same condition, discs were scratch-free, etc), I wouldn't care that much.

Truthed.

Cartridge games are another matter because they can look fine on the outside but still be scrambled on the inside.

I actually thought this thread was going to go into a discussion about whether we're ready to shift from purchasing physical copies, to simply paying the price to download the game onto your console (which I don't like because what if something happens to my console? Do I have to buy the game again in order to put on a new console which I also had to buy? At least with PC games, you can download the content onto any compatible device without having to return to the store and buy the material again.)

Pike
05-12-2014, 10:17 AM
It would not bother me unless the imposter copy was really dirty and gross or something.

Mirage
05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
If they are 100% identical (as far as human perception can tell), I wouldn't care.

blackmage_nuke
05-12-2014, 12:03 PM
If they were unaltered version I dont think I'd have any real problems with it.

However if me and my friend both went to the creator or voice actor or whatever and got it signed by them then I might care a little if I didnt have the one that I personally handed to whoever and got signed.

Dat Matt
05-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Yeah not really. I love my physical copies, but I wouldn't care if I took the wrong copy of Mario kart Wii home after a party. So long as there is nothing wrong with it, then I'd be fine

Skyblade
05-12-2014, 01:08 PM
If there's something special about mine, sure. If it's just a copy of the disc, I'll usually only care because I have a tendency to take extremely good care of my discs, and I wouldn't want one in inferior condition.

That said, I'm extremely protective of my cartridges and handheld games because I am very protective of my save files.

Pete for President
05-12-2014, 01:09 PM
I have issues trusting other people changing my discs, it's ridiculous :( and I think it would bother me if somehow even identical copies got mixed up.

Miss Mae
05-12-2014, 01:15 PM
I love my physical copies, but if they were 100% identical I wouldn't mind.

Ayen
05-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Yes and I wouldn't set them down next to each other for that very reason. Not without something to be able to tell them apart.

Old Manus
05-12-2014, 03:05 PM
If I was autistic, maybe. As a matter of fact I'd rather take other people's copies of my games as most of mine are old and falling apart anyway.

Aulayna
05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
I'd only care if the other copy was damaged in some way.

I had it real bad with XBOX controllers where I accidentally took a friends home, and got home and realised it rattled and was all stick. Of course he denied it being his, so I was stuck with a gammy controller. :(