PDA

View Full Version : Top Five favorite RPGs on the SNES

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2014, 02:32 AM
Let's hear them people, what are your top five favorite RPGs from SNES era?

VeloZer0
05-12-2014, 03:15 AM
Despite the SNES housing some of my favorite RPGs of all time, my depth is a little lacking on the system. I haven't gotten to to many other SNES RPGs, and a lot of the ones I tried I wasn't particularly impressed with and didn't finish. Hopefully this thread gives me some other ideas to pursue in the future.

1) Chrono Trigger
2) FF6
3) FF5
4) FF4
5) ???

The Man
05-12-2014, 03:47 AM
1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Dragon Quest V
4. Seiken Densetsu 3
5. Final Fantasy V

I'm not really sure about the positions of any of these except #1 and #2. No, we didn't actually get SNES releases of any of these except #1 or #2. Eat me.

Colonel Angus
05-12-2014, 03:57 AM
I know V was a Super Famicom game, I never played it on the system, so for my list I won't count it.

1. FFVI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Super Mario RPG
4. FFIV
5. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past*

*If LoZ doesn't count, then Secret of Evermore is 5.

Skyblade
05-12-2014, 05:30 AM
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Secret of Mana
4. Soul Blazer
5. Spot reserved for Super Mario RPG, as I'm sure it will fall on this list when I finally get a chance to play it.

Del Murder
05-12-2014, 06:42 AM
1. FFVI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. FFIV
4. Secret of Mana
5. Super Mario RPG

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2014, 06:56 AM
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final fantasy VI
3. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
4. Breath of Fire II
5. Dragon Quest V

This was kind of tough and I'm surprised certain games didn't make it.

maybee
05-12-2014, 10:15 AM
1 Final Fantasy IV

2 Chrono Trigger

3 Final Fantasy VI

4 Final Fantasy V

5 aaaaaand Final Fantasy IV again because it deserves to be on the list twice.

Yellow_Magic
05-12-2014, 01:38 PM
1. FFVI
2. Bahamut Lagoon (strategy RPG, but still an RPG!)
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Seiken Densetsu 3
5. FFIV

Bubba
05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
1) Zelda: A Link to the Past (Not sure if it counts but it's no.1 if it does)
2) Secret of Mana
3) Final Fantasy VI
4) Final Fantasy IV
5) Soul Blazer

It really is criminal that I haven't gotten round to playing Chrono Trigger yet. I should really pick up the DS version at some point.

The Man
05-12-2014, 04:21 PM
If Link to the Past counts then put that on my list as well. #3 spot probably, but it might actually jump all the way to #1. Since #3-5 on my original list are pretty much tied I'm not really sure which one to take off.

Loony BoB
05-12-2014, 04:23 PM
I've only played a few, but FFV tops it for me.

Pike
05-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Can I just say "Super Mario RPG" five times?

Depression Moon
05-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Super Mario RPG because that's all I played. The FF games that were released on that system I played on the PS1.

Skyblade
05-12-2014, 06:06 PM
5) Soul Blazer

It really is criminal that I haven't gotten round to playing Chrono Trigger yet.

Yay, someone else who likes Soul Blazer!

And, yes, it is.

Yellow_Magic
05-12-2014, 07:02 PM
It really is criminal that I haven't gotten round to playing Chrono Trigger yet. I should really pick up the DS version at some point.
Be careful of the post-game crap on the DS version. It's not very good and will make you question your existence

blackmage_nuke
05-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Approximately from Best to not so best
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Seiken Densetsu 3
Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana)
Final Fantasy V (though I never finished it)

Fynn
05-12-2014, 08:54 PM
In no particular order:

FFV
FFVI
Chrono Trigger
Tactics Ogre (only played the PSP remake, but still)
FFIV (but only if you count the DS version)

Ayen
05-12-2014, 09:04 PM
I was a Sega brat so I didn't play many games on the SNES.

1.) Sailor Moon RPG: Another Story
2.) Final Fantasy V
3.) Final Fantasy VI

I expect this to change when I get around to playing Magic Knight Rayearth, Secret of Evermore and Super Mario RPG.

Fynn
05-12-2014, 09:06 PM

2.) Final Fantasy V
3.) Final Fantasy VI

I expect this to change when I get around to playing Magic Knight Rayearth, Secret of Evermore and Super Mario RPG.

Dude, the only thing we had in Poland before the PSX era was a Pegasus, an NES knockoff that only played Mario and like 3 other games. Now, the gameboy, on the other hand... :cool:

Ayen
05-12-2014, 09:10 PM

2.) Final Fantasy V
3.) Final Fantasy VI

Dude, the only thing we had in Poland before the PSX era was a Pegasus, an NES knockoff that only played Mario and like 3 other games. Now, the gameboy, on the other hand... :cool:

My brother went straight from the NES to the Sega so SNES wasn't an option until Summer visits with my cousins. And I still didn't play many RPGs on theirs.

Bolivar
05-12-2014, 09:15 PM
1. Dragon Quest V
2. Tactics Ogre
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Final Fantasy V
5. Dragon Quest VI

VERY close between number 1 and 2 but while Ogre Battle Episode 7 stays true to its incredible mechanics, DQV constantly flips its mechanics on its head while telling one of the greatest stories ever in an RPG.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Looks like you got over your issues with DQVI, last I remember you were not getting into as well as you hoped.

Colonel Angus
05-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Can I just say "Super Mario RPG" five times?

Colonel Angus
05-12-2014, 11:58 PM

2.) Final Fantasy V
3.) Final Fantasy VI

The only issue you may find w/ SoE is that it can be a little tedious looking for ingredients for your spells.

Skyblade
05-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Wow, Magic Knight Rayearth. Been a while since I thought about that game.

Bolivar
05-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Looks like you got over your issues with DQVI, last I remember you were not getting into as well as you hoped.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I wish I didn't rush into it immediately after playing DQV and Xenogears. DQV would've been a tough act to follow for any sequel and I now appreciate the things the game accomplished on its own merits. I'm actually looking to play it all the way through from a fresh file soon.

Besides, it was either that or put Final Fantasy VI in my top 5 and a man has to stick to his principles (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156268-This-Game-is-Overrated?p=3407709&viewfull=1#post3407709).

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2014, 03:14 AM

You know, the more I think about it, the more I wish I didn't rush into it immediately after playing DQV and Xenogears. DQV would've been a tough act to follow for any sequel and I now appreciate the things the game accomplished on its own merits. I'm actually looking to play it all the way through from a fresh file soon.

Besides, it was either that or put Final Fantasy VI in my top 5 and a man has to stick to his principles (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156268-This-Game-is-Overrated?p=3407709&viewfull=1#post3407709).

I would say something but considering I don't have an FF in either of the Playstation threads I can understand sticking to principles. ;)

NeoCracker
05-13-2014, 05:44 AM
5. Secret of Mana
4. Ogre Battle: March of the BLack Queen
3. Breath of Fire II
2. Final Fantasy VI
1. Chrono Trigger

Outside of Ogre Battle, pretty much my entire SNES list are games that have been talked about to death. Especially by me with BoF II. :p

Bubba
05-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Yay, someone else who likes Soul Blazer!

I remember buying it on a whim when I was a teenager. It was one of those purchases that I made purely on the fact that it had a cool name. I didn't regret it :)

Be careful of the post-game crap on the DS version. It's not very good and will make you question your existence

I suppose I could always download the original onto my Wii. Yeah, I think I might do that.

Fynn
05-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Nah, the added dungeons aren't that bad. It's the streamlined UI that sets the DS higher in my eyes. Also, I like the English DS script more, but that's just personal taste as they're both really good.

NeoCracker
05-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I actually like the DS version more. Improved Script adds a bit more flavor to the characters (Not a huge improvement, but noticable), the menu getting placed on the bottom screen fixes the biggest problem I had with the SNES version, that being the combat menu covering up part of the map and jumping to the top and bottom occasionally, and the bonus Dungeons, even if you don't like them, can be easily ignored if you so choose. :p

Depression Moon
05-14-2014, 12:19 AM
1. Final Fantasy IV
2. Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Final Fantasy V